'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
finn
Supporter

Re: New Nissan engine - 3 cylinder 400HP

Post by finn »

I hate odd number cylinder engines. Seems off to me. Pretty impressive though
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

IDx, stat!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
McWicked
Supporter

Post by McWicked »

Wow, that packaging looks impressively small. I'm thinking you could slap a couple of those bad boys end-to-end for a relatively petite straight 6.

-McWicked
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

finn wrote:I hate odd number cylinder engines. Seems off to me. Pretty impressive though
I really had to get used to odd numbered cylinders when I started in the shipping industry. All of the bigger bore engines are online, but you get all combos, 3,5,6,7,9,11 - everything except 4. I have been told that 4 cylinders don't work well due to vibration. Wartsila does make a 4 cylinder 60 bore engine, but still put a 5th throw on the crank with a mock piston to curb vibrations. So if this is a problem on larger diesels, than at some point it's likely a problem in our "little" engines too.
Just my thoughts on odd number cylindered engines.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Byron510 wrote:
finn wrote:I hate odd number cylinder engines. Seems off to me. Pretty impressive though
I really had to get used to odd numbered cylinders when I started in the shipping industry. All of the bigger bore engines are online, but you get all combos, 3,5,6,7,9,11 - everything except 4. I have been told that 4 cylinders don't work well due to vibration. Wartsila does make a 4 cylinder 60 bore engine, but still put a 5th throw on the crank with a mock piston to curb vibrations. So if this is a problem on larger diesels, than at some point it's likely a problem in our "little" engines too.
Just my thoughts on odd number cylindered engines.

Byron
I think you hit it Byron, they were going for the maximum output per cc and balance is required for that. It must be a more balanced package.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

My subaru domingo has a 1.2L 3 cylinder engine, revs up pretty good too! My old suzuki had a .657 3 cylinder turbo engine and that little guy just screamed all the way to 7K ...
Jason