'72 Wagon: Bueiz

View and post your 510 project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Re: '72 Wagon: As Blue as the Night is Bright.

Post by okayfine »

5/16" isn't a BMC size. 15/16"? That's the ZX BMC. I've used the stock push rod with the ZX BMC, but you have to take care to find the right washer to retain the whole works. Others have recently reported this isn't an issue. Should also just have to persuade the brake lines to match up correctly - depending on which year of BMC you have.

Grunge in the bottom of the reservoirs doesn't mean the old BMC was toast. Needed a flush, sure, but not necessarily a replacement.

And, with stock brakes, 15/16" BMC isn't well-suited.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

You're freakin' right, it's a 15/16" BMC.

So, I don't know the right terminology here but I saw the grunge, pulled it in an attempt to salvage it just to get the wagon rolling but the "piston" was seized in the BMC housing. So I could buy a rebuild kit, try pulling the piston out and rebuild. But, I have the 15/16th's 280ZX BMC sitting around for the big brake upgrade and figured I would install now and would work well enough with the stock brakes to be able to move the wagon around.

So, if it sounds like if I found a washer that would work I could use the 15/16th's BMC with more than likely poor braking performance.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

bueiz wrote:but the "piston" was seized in the BMC housing.
Gotcha. Makes sense now.
bueiz wrote:would work well enough with the stock brakes to be able to move the wagon around.

So, if it sounds like if I found a washer that would work I could use the 15/16th's BMC with more than likely poor braking performance.
Probably just a rock-hard pedal and high pedal force required. Not optimal for driving, but workable for moving the car around. If you have plans for the BBK or a ZX brake upgrade...or just wanted to add a booster (ZX has a booster OE) it'll work out better.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

So, I'm looking for opinions. I don't do stock, I like modified cars but like to maintain the capability of reverting back to stock if necessary.

So, my question is about the stock A/C. I have it in the wagon, it's installed turns on, probably needs to be overhauled/serviced. To keep or not to keep? It's get hot in the summers as we all know...I didn't have A/C in my 1st wagon (pre-Katrina) so I think I could do without it here. It takes up space and I'm wondering if I should even hassle with it.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Have never had A/C on a 510. Supposedly the HL510/200SX era compressors are better than the OE 510 stuff. But if you already have the whole system in the car and functional, given your location I'd certainly be tempted to sort the system and run it. It's not the temp so much as the humidity. Less efficient in a wagon due to the extra interior space, but all the same...
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

[quote="okayfine"] But if you already have the whole system in the car and functional, given your location I'd certainly be tempted to sort the system and run it. quote]

I back up Julians statement here. If you have it and its there. Use the crap out of it. Im in Las Vegas. Its 105 out today. I would love to be able to drive my car in the summer. Im the opposite of the Cali/Canadians. I drive my car in the winter and will be parking it in the summer.
looking for pass. side arm rest
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

All valid points. I'll see what I can do with it.
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

I was hoping one of you guys could help me figure out an Automatic Transmission issue.

I'm in the middle of working on the rear end and I pulled out the drive shaft about a week ago. Today, the transmission decided it was going to spew fluid from the rear, with seal still in place. When I pulled the drive shaft I didn't have any leaks or issues.

Thoughts?

greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

did you change the position/height of the jackstands at all after you pulled the ds? i.e. did you raise the front higher than the rear for some reason? That would do it
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

voodoo?

was it a slow drip for a week? (doesn't look like a lot if that)
or all in one day a week later?
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Doesn't the driveshaft complete the seal just like a manual transmission??

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

Hm, I didn't notice the leak until a week later, but if could have definitely been a slow leak. I definitely didn't make any changes to the jack stand heights. It's been sitting in the same position for a while now.

Does the driveshaft complete the seal like McShagger510 suggests? I suppose that would make sense. It could also be that the car, even though I haven't changed jack stand heights, is on a bit of an incline. The carport does slant to the side a few degrees.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Been hot recently? Expanded fluid, etc. Trans output shaft seal isn't sealing anything at the current time, since you can see between the seal and the output shaft. Any trans that has the DS pulled should have a plug put in place. We tend to collect them as we go through different transmissions, etc. I know I have at least three on the shelf.

No harm done, other than the mess. But auto trans fluid is mostly detergent, so it's cleaning your driveway. Feature, not bug!
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

In my experience the fluid is usually pretty viscous so you can remove the driveshaft and not notice a problem but the oil flows (albeit slowly) out of the trans and coats the floor overnight. Nice surprise when you get under the car the next day or whenever :(
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

Thanks for the input guys, this definitely puts my mind at ease. I definitely didn't want to jack around with and put much money into the Automatic Transmission (besides filter and fluid changes).

I'm hoping I can work in a Manual Transmission swap some time in the not so distant future.