What is this for? Wagon

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
qwik510
Supporter

What is this for? Wagon

Post by qwik510 »

Under the front passenger seat, there is a piece if metal that is not on the sedans. What is it for ?

Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
MikeY

Re: What is this for? Wagon

Post by MikeY »

jam the jack in there. kind of like the sedan in the trunk. as well there should be 2 clips along the inner drivers rocker to hold the rod to lower the spare.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

MikeY wrote:jam the jack in there. kind of like the sedan in the trunk. as well there should be 2 clips along the inner drivers rocker to hold the rod to lower the spare.
The jack holder is on the drivers side. This is the passenger side.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

my bad. you are correct. wheel chocks are my next guess
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Yep. Got this from a knowledgable wagon owner on the BB list.

Here is what he said

"That tab captures one end of the wheel chocks. The tool bag is held between the chocks and the seat rail. All is retained by a rubber strap about 4.5 inches long with a metal hoop on each end. The rubber strap hooks into the pair of tabs on the front of the seat rail. These too are wagon only. Sorry it's too dark put to get a pic tonight."
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

qwik510 wrote:Yep. Got this from a knowledgable wagon owner on the BB list.

Here is what he said

"That tab captures one end of the wheel chocks. The tool bag is held between the chocks and the seat rail. All is retained by a rubber strap about 4.5 inches long with a metal hoop on each end. The rubber strap hooks into the pair of tabs on the front of the seat rail. These too are wagon only. Sorry it's too dark put to get a pic tonight."
I have one of those rubber strap things somewhere in the parts horde and never knew what it was for. Thanks!

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

I think I have finally gotten the correct info on the wagon jack and tool storage. I was hoping for better pics but you gotta take what you can get sometimes.

So from what I have seen and heard, the tools and the wheel chocks are stored on the passenger side under the front passenger seat. The hole in the seat riser is wide enough to get the tool bag in there and then the chocks sit over top of the tool bag and the edge of the chocks sit against the slanted metal tab under the seat. Then the rubber strap holds the chocks in place.

Dark picture because of carpet but it shows the tool bag in place.

The Jack goes under the front drivers seat and stows under the tab that is part of the seat riser.

The long tool bar that is used to lower the spare tire and raise and lower the jack, stores on the side of the drivers seat. There are two rubber clips that hold it in place but I am not sure how the rubber clips stay in place.

You can see the two rubber tabs in the picture above.

If anyone has better pics or more info, please add it to this thread.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The Owner's Manual barely shows the sedan tool organization and shows nothing at all for the wagon. However, it does show an adapter for the jack when jacking the side. Not sure why it's different for the wagon, and the adapter just looks like a square of tube, but it must slide in the curved edges of the jack top plate...
Pages from owners_m.jpg
Pages from owners_m.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 4842 times
The adapter isn't mentioned for jacking up the sedan, but would seem just as necessary to avoid crushing the pinch weld.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The spacer for the jack is a square section piece, that slides onto the jacks top surface.
The spacer is needed because more height is required for getting the rear wheels off the ground due to the strait axle.
I've parted two wagons in recent years - both were missing all of these parts. They are hard to come by.
When I built my last wagon for my cross country trip almost 15 years ago, I had to make the rod to spin the spare tire hoist under the rear package tray - there just wasn't one to be found anywhere. I did have the handle that went on the rod, which was good - as it's a forged unit with a tapered square hole made to engage on the jacking rod/spare tire hoist tool.
The tool bag for the wagon is also unique, made bigger to hold the jacking rod cross bar, the jack extension and the usual compliment of tools in the tool bag (plyers, screw drivers and a few wenches).

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Byron510 wrote:The spacer for the jack is a square section piece, that slides onto the jacks top surface.
The spacer is needed because more height is required for getting the rear wheels off the ground due to the strait axle.
I've parted two wagons in recent years - both were missing all of these parts. They are hard to come by.
When I built my last wagon for my cross country trip almost 15 years ago, I had to make the rod to spin the spare tire hoist under the rear package tray - there just wasn't one to be found anywhere. I did have the handle that went on the rod, which was good - as it's a forged unit with a tapered square hole made to engage on the jacking rod/spare tire hoist tool.
The tool bag for the wagon is also unique, made bigger to hold the jacking rod cross bar, the jack extension and the usual compliment of tools in the tool bag (plyers, screw drivers and a few wenches).

Byron
I would have thought the spacer was for the rear too. But looking at what Julian posted, it says it is for the front.

Here are pics of the wagon jack I have.

Jack with spacer stored on top

Spacer

Top of jack showing grooves for spacer and round nubs that lock spacer on

Spacer showing hole in the bottom that lock onto the jack when in place

Spacer locked on top of jack

Spacer in storage position on top of jack

Short jack handle and lug wrench from a Z car. (I know I have a wagon rod somewhere)
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

That's awesome. I've never seen one, and love the thought that was put into that adapter.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

okayfine wrote:That's awesome. I've never seen one, and love the thought that was put into that adapter.

I agree. Nice design and great use of space in regards to how the entire jack, tools and chocks are stored. Another reason we love these cars.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The photos and shots make it clear.

Is the wagon jack shorter on overall length than a sedan jack?

Looking at the photo got me thinking....

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Byron510 wrote:The photos and shots make it clear.

Is the wagon jack shorter on overall length than a sedan jack?

Looking at the photo got me thinking....

Byron
I will pull a sedan jack out and compare them. This is good info to have and archive.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
nullbound

Post by nullbound »

Very interesting/cool. Both of my wagons have the jack in the correct location, but I don't believe either car has that rubber strap or the adaptor for the jack.