Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Current Pictures

Post by okayfine »

No problem. Took it out to run some errands to the Post Office and such, and cruised the undeveloped commercial area. Usually there are semi trailers parked all over; I wanted to drive under one and get a picture. No trailers at all, so I took a few exterior shots since I don't really have any that aren't in my garage.
IMG_5722.JPG
IMG_5722.JPG (197.45 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
IMG_5721.JPG
IMG_5721.JPG (230.94 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
IMG_5720.JPG
IMG_5720.JPG (171.85 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
Also shot some drive-by video, that'll be up in a few.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

Post by okayfine »

One more.
IMG_5723.JPG
IMG_5723.JPG (195.49 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

The trike looks great!

Custom Machined covers for the engine would look good ;)
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

It looks awesome out there! Whats the plan for the rear fiberglass cover?
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

HA! Maybe so. I'd have to send you a pair so you could take the measurements. AFAIK it's dry inside, just the timing belt running around. Probably don't want to drive around without it, but...

Drive-by vid seemed good in my head, but I ended up driving by too quickly to really be able to see it. Next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPWz6bF ... q-JJZcCxMQ
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

PoorMtnKid wrote:Whats the plan for the rear fiberglass cover?
Once I get Whitebird sorted, the plan is to make a stiffening rib on the underside, coat it with the kitty hair filler, then sand smooth and paint. I was using it as motivation to get my 510 running again, but I might just cut to the quick and get the shell done. It would mean I could also get rid of the huge foam mold that's still kicking around my garage (keeping it so I can put the shell on it when I do the exterior filler/sanding work).
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Looking very cool, but that engine is screaming for a pair of Weber down drafts!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

duke wrote:Looking very cool, but that engine is screaming for a pair of Weber down drafts!
My thoughts exactly - IDA's would not only look cool - they's sound awesome!

:D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I've started to look into it. Building a manifold would be easy. Saw a picture of a V4 engine with four velocity stacks sitting up top and proud, really looked awesome. Just a matter of money...

Last edited by okayfine on 04 Apr 2014 06:20, edited 1 time in total.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Julian that's so awesome. This machine is a beauty. Congratulations.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

looks much better in the sunlight!

you know you want to build a manifold for it
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

hang_510 wrote:you know you want to build a manifold for it
Of course, it's the $1000 in carbs and linkage and jets that are currently stopping me. :mrgreen:
Thaine

Post by Thaine »

I see you got it up and running. Bring it over to RGR. We would love to see it.
Thaine
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Hello Thaine! If I ever make it out that way I will definitely drop by!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Got tired of the bare FG rear shell. Bent up a 3/16" round rod and added four 8" wide strips of FG to the underneath to stiffen the shape. The added FG strips probably did more than the steel rod, but the end result seems to work alright. Then covered the exterior in Bondo, sanded most of it off, then patched again, sanded again, then gave up and primed/painted it.

Looks not bad in the picture. Just stand 10' from it and you'll continue to think so. Still, looks tons better with the blue than bare FG, so whatev.
IMG_5751.jpg
IMG_5751.jpg (176.12 KiB) Viewed 5181 times
Added a decal, and then one on the front:
IMG_5752.jpg
IMG_5752.jpg (197.25 KiB) Viewed 5181 times
Took it out for some more errands, including dropping off the L-series starter to the USPS. Had some guy at Big 5 tell me about what I can only assume was a Carver he drove in Euroland. Did have a bit of a hot-start issue where it didn't want to catch. Didn't seem hot when I shut it down, and I did manage to get it started again after about a minute so... Not sure how much I want to delve into the carbs. I did try to balance them last week, and it seems to run fine under power, but it coughs a bit at steady-state cruise before it's fully warmed.

Still a blast, though.