Brad's '69 project

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
S15DET
Supporter

Re: Brad's '69 project

Post by S15DET »

Yep, that's from the thread above, great pic. and thank you. I'm hoping for more .75" and less of the .5" estimate to be true. I may have to find a 280ZX hub and measure it up to be sure (anybody have a pair?). I need a full inch, that's where I'm coming up 1/4" shy. If the difference is only 1/2", then I'll be off 1/2". How do you guys feel about turning out the center of the 5-bolt Z31 mounting flange, turning OFF the flange of the 280ZX hub, and positioning and welding the two together to get the perfect offset? I could even turn a locating feature (a step) into both parts so they are locked into position. If I'm careful enough I could do the whole freeze/heat thing to make a zero-clearance fit between the two.

It's a lot of work, but better than a total suspension re-design before the Sept. event at VIR.
Last edited by S15DET on 09 Jul 2014 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
qship510

Post by qship510 »

S15DET wrote:Yep, that's from the thread above, great pic. and thank you. I'm hoping for more .75" and less of the .5" estimate to be true. I may have to find a 280Z hub and measure it up to be sure (anybody have a pair?). I need a full inch, that's where I'm coming up 1/4" shy. If the difference is only 1/2", then I'll be off 1/2". How do you guys feel about turning out the center of the 5-bolt Z31 mounting flange, turning OFF the flange of the 280Z hub, and positioning and welding the two together to get the perfect offset? I could even turn a locating feature (a step) into both parts so they are locked into position. If I'm careful enough I could do the whole freeze/heat thing to make a zero-clearance fit between the two.

It's a lot of work, but better than a total suspension re-design before the Sept. event at VIR.
If you are willing to go through all of that, why not whittle some billet aluminum hubs? Don't rush it, have fun at VIR in September, make the new wheels the winter project. Just my lowly opinion.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

It's a good point. I'm wondering now why I'm so hung up on using these oddball wheels. The Dave's VTO wheels are damn awesome too (I'm especially drawn to the 0 offset Lemans) and maybe more fitting for a 510, of course I'll have the same mounting dilemma with the hub offset.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

As the Singer bloke said on the Chris Harris/DRIVE video about his Porsche 911 work...the wheels maketh the car.

Those Campys are awesome. I'm a big LeMans wheel fan, and if VTO made 14" LeMans rims I'd have 'em, but who has those Campys on a 510? No one?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
shacks510

Post by shacks510 »

okayfine wrote:I'm a big LeMans wheel fan, and if VTO made 14" LeMans rims I'd have 'em
15" LeMans. Can't say I've seen them on a 510 other than this one. You see a little bit of everything in Japan.
image.jpg
image.jpg (85.75 KiB) Viewed 6257 times
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

THAT...looks awesome!
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

They need bigger tires, those look like rubber bands.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

I love a bit of meat on the sidewall and white raised letters.. Those VTO's look good.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I agree, looks like it needs a little more rubber.
My wife and I drove the dime to Hendersonville (near Asheville in the Western N.C. mountains) to pick up my boys from summer camp. Had a great trip, no issues with the car. Everybody was asleep for most of the 2.5 hour trip back to Waxhaw.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I just realized that for the whole hub offset discussion I was incorrectly referring to 280Z parts rather than 280ZX. I went back and edited my posts for posterity. And BTW, I'm passing on the Campagnolo wheels. Too much to re-work for wheels that are perhaps unsafe for real use. I ordered the 15x7 Ronal R9's that I posted questions about a year-and-a-half ago. That way I'm not having to change hubs and brakes just to accommodate a wheel change. What I have is working so I'll leave well enough alone. I'll submit pictures after I refinish them, they're petty rough now.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Maybe talk with Matt about a custom center cap, unless you have a set of those Mercedes caps like Bofenkamp.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I'll try to re-use these caps that I had made because they match the horn button. Otherwise I'm sure Matt could turn something cool.
Attachments
P1090871s.jpg
P1090871s.jpg (138.13 KiB) Viewed 6078 times
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

So I did it again, stepped outside my comfort zone and went with a few friends to Darlington Dragway last night. It was a cool dry evening so I couldn't resist a re-do from my last attempt a couple years back. I changed nothing at the track, kept the spare tire in the trunk, didn't adjust tire pressure, and made 8 passes in a few hours on my 400UTQG commuting tires (Dunlop DZ102). The car performed flawlessly and my last two passes were my best at 13.4 @ 106. My 60' times are still slow meaning that I have a lot to learn about a proper drag start. I believe that I can reach my goal of 12.99 with the car just the way it is, only with better driving. It was a VERY fun night and I was proud of my little 510's showing.

Here are the slips from the last two passes.
Attachments
Darlington July 2014s.png
Darlington July 2014s.png (244.87 KiB) Viewed 5989 times
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I also tried out a new look (my father-in-law calls it the ice cream truck look) with painted steelies and baby moons. Well, I haven't bought the baby moons yet but I did a quick test with these VW caps I had just to see how it looks. What says the jury of the Realm?
Attachments
20140714_191202sa.jpg
20140714_191202sa.jpg (111.45 KiB) Viewed 5984 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

You know...that's interesting. It's definitely different. I like it. I think it'd definitely grow on me. I like that the steelies are painted body color, but the caps would definitely have to not have the VW embossed in them. At one point I wanted to find some 14x6 steelies off a ZX and modify the stock 510 bullseye caps to fit (with 14" trim rings).

It's not a "performance/BRE/racer/grrrrrr!" look. But surprisingly clean.