Button's 510 Build

View and post your 510 project(s)
Button

Button's 510 Build

Post by Button »

Hey guys I am new new to the site. Some months ago I was telling my buddy Forrest (Who is also on the site - Great_Escape) that I was thinking about getting a track car. He then proceeded to tell me that he had bought a 510 a few months previous, and been doing autocross and some track days. Up until that point I hadn't even considered the 510.

To make a long story short he got me hooked on the 510, so a few months ago I sold one of my motorcycles and started obsessively looking for a dime. After a lot of searching I picked up a project two days ago. Its a 71 that the previous owner started to fix up. He had it painted and the paint is maybe a 6 out of 10 which is ok since it looks pretty good and i'm looking to make a driver and not a show car. He also had most of the interior done which also looks pretty good though I will probably replace the seats. It has a stock 1.6 and 4 speed. The engine supposedly runs though not everything is hooked up to make it driveable. The battery was dead so I have been charging it, so hopefully we can see if it will fire tonight.

So now that I have the car in my garage we can let the fun begin. There is a lot to do, and lots of parts to buy. I will be doing a lot of research and I'm sure asking a lot of questions.

My immediate goal is to get the car running and driving in some form. But my goal over the next few months is to focus on the suspension, brakes, wheels, exhaust, wiring and generally getting the car all put back together. I will live with the 1.6 and 4 speed for awhile but once the car is on the road I will start putting together an L20 or KA with a 5speed to swap in later.

Anyways that is it for now. Back to staring under the hood, while scratching my head trying to make heads or tails of the wiring.

And on to the crappy pictures.
(Note to self - when you get a new iphone put a case on it so the camera doesn't get so scratched up that it renders all photos taken with it as a blurry nondescript mess therefore forcing you to take lo-res, and even arguably worse photos with the front camera)

Chris
Attachments
Dime04.jpg
Dime04.jpg (270.58 KiB) Viewed 5417 times
Dime03.jpg
Dime03.jpg (158.59 KiB) Viewed 5417 times
Dime02.jpg
Dime02.jpg (164.65 KiB) Viewed 5417 times
Dime01.jpg
Dime01.jpg (257.08 KiB) Viewed 5417 times
Byron510

Re: Button's 510 Build

Post by Byron510 »

Geez, looks like a damn nice start for sure.

Welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase.

You'll get no shortage of assistance from this peanut gallery - some of it even useful :D

Glad to have you along, we look forward to your build.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Wow Chris, that didn't take very long at all.

Color wiring diagram is up at The 510 Archives, should serve you well. If you get stumped on stuff, lemme know, I can run out there in the 3-wheeler.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Great_Escape
Supporter

Post by Great_Escape »

Looks good in front of your house. I guess I'll start planing a working weekend trip. Let the Fun begin.
Button

Post by Button »

Thanks guys!

While you were typing your reply Julian I was probably on the archives downloading and printing the wiring diagrams in all their 11x17 color glory. (Thank you work and your color printers)

Julian I may take you up on your offer just so I can see the 3 wheeler in action. You are welcome over anytime, i would love to have you swing by to give the car the once over and maybe point me in the right direction.

Part of the deal with getting this car is that I promised my wife I wouldn't get too side tracked from some house projects so I am taking all of next week off to build a patio cover. Man is it going to be hard to do that instead of playing with the 510. I am however going to Eaglerock on Sunday.

On a side note, is it generally preferred on this site that I ask all my questions in my build thread or is it fine to ask in the specific sub forums (Suspension, Electrical, Etc.)?

Chris
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Using the specific subforums is more than fine.

And I hear you on the honey-dos...in exchange for getting the green light to build the 3-wheeler, I had to build my wife a chicken coop. PM me when you foresee some time to bench race your car.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Button

Post by Button »

Will do Julian. Are you available in the evenings, say after 7?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Button wrote:Will do Julian. Are you available in the evenings, say after 7?
Yep.
KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA »

Wow, what a score!, congrats and have lots and lots fun ;-)
Diego.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

GREAT jumping off point! And, if Julian is close by, you're in good hands.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Looks great! I love the color!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

For some inspiration:
P2200500.jpg
P2200500.jpg (126.42 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

With Julian close by your problems are solved, easy peazie 8) Now Julian when are you riding the three wheeler over to my place and help me out? :lol: Here's more inspiration don't mind the Toy up front.
Attachments
Three B cars.jpg
Three B cars.jpg (297.23 KiB) Viewed 5107 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Button

Post by Button »

Thank you for the comments and inspiration guys. Julian if you are around one night this week PM me and I would love to have you swing by. I should be around over the weekend as well.

I don't have anything to exciting to show as far as progress goes. I have mainly been cleaning up little things here and there, ripping out the front suspension and buying parts.

Here's a list of what I have been up to:
- Installed the trunk weather seal
- Pulled the trunk latch off and cleaned that up
- Removed both door latch assemblies and cleaned and lubed them
- Removed the front suspension and steering
- Had the gas tank chemically dipped, and the vapor tank sand blasted then I primed and painted them
- I cleaned out the fuel hard line, and vapor line and ran new soft lines off those in to the trunk
- Installed a new steering wheel
- I pulled most of the dash to eventually clean it up

Parts I have purchased:
- 280zx struts and hubs
- DP racing offset camber plates, Riser knuckles, Front coil over kit, idler arm bushing kit
- Rota RB wheels 15x7 +20 offset
- Wheel spacers and long studs from Futofab
- T3 Steering arms
- Dunlop Direzza ZII tires 195/50/15
- Momo Prototipo 350mm Steering wheel and Hub (I spoiled myself a bit with the steering wheel :D )
Attachments
Momo01.jpg
Momo01.jpg (103.91 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
Vapor01.jpg
Vapor01.jpg (82.75 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
Gas03.jpg
Gas03.jpg (87.79 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
Tires01.jpg
Tires01.jpg (101.75 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
Rb01.jpg
Rb01.jpg (144.75 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
NoSusp.jpg
NoSusp.jpg (71.13 KiB) Viewed 4982 times
Button

Post by Button »

Well, I haven't updated this in a loooonnngg time but I have been slowly chipping away on it. Sometime ago a good friend of mine had an unfortunate accident in his well sorted 510 that totaled the car. Fortunately he is ok now. He was able to buy his "70's econo box" back from the insurance company for pretty cheap and he decided to move on to a different platform so he sold me the car.

I wish he still had the car, but if there is an upside to the story it is that I was able to salvage a lot of really nice parts from his car.

I am going to start updating this thread with some of the progress that I have made over the last two years, but it will be somewhat out of order.