What did you do on your 510 today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
two_68_510s
Supporter

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by two_68_510s »

Spent 3 hours talking with Great_Escape, (Forrest) about his sweet little green two door and looking at my welding jobs on Blue that need to be done.

He just got back from a 500 mile run, "The Faultline Run", in his freshly refurbished car, ran perfect.

He took my engine front drive plate and A/C compressor to fit it And to weld up the supercharger extension and weld on the serpentine belt tensioner dogs.

All this is aluminum work, I don't want to ruin the nice work done by Matt by doing my sloppy welding.

This gentleman is certified in just about every kind of welding. He works on roller coasters during the day!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Replaced the 5 year old spark plugs on the SR. Cut back the electrodes ground some and indexed them, went on a terror drive, cut the 30k sqft of grass, showered, friend came by and we played some with cold ones.
Attachments
Bass n beer.jpg
Bass n beer.jpg (294.82 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yesterday I washed up the car at Specialty, where I discovered my waste gate was burned out. I was treated to the sound of Andy tuning the Corvette, after having done some carb work for his long time customer. This is a "number" car.

Today I called Turbonetics and ordered a new waste gate, which is a more modern version of what I have, so all the flanges bolt right back on, with the adjustable boost ports all the same. real trick will be to see how easy the old one comes out.
Attachments
IMGP8099 (Large).JPG
IMGP8099 (Large).JPG (267.07 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
IMGP8101 (Large).JPG
IMGP8101 (Large).JPG (271.84 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
YOU CAN SEE THE BURN THROUGH HOLE JUST ABOVE THE TURBONETIC LOGO
YOU CAN SEE THE BURN THROUGH HOLE JUST ABOVE THE TURBONETIC LOGO
IMGP8103 (Large).JPG (212.48 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

That's not bad for the time it' been in there. Kinda like my 42 year old axle/ wheel bearings.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Keith, it looks like you'll be machining that flange face a bit to get a clean face nudging buy the edge of the manifold.

You might be able to do another temp fix for the summer and then take the manifolds off over the winter.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I'm hoping that the actual intake to the waste gate, that that flange is not bad. What you see there is both the top hat of the gate, and, the down pipe flange. That flange goes into a slip joint, so I will be able to face that, as it will be on the bench.

Lets hope at any rate.....
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I was sitting at my desk today, which looks out into the parking lot, and I heard the sound of a very crisp V-8, coming down the street, then turning into my complex. Right away I spy a Sunbeam Tiger pulling into the lot, parking at the printer across from me. Right away I recognize an old friend from the Golden Age of slaloming here in B.C..

I blast out of my seat, grab my camera, and run over to talk to him. Randy Cunningham is his name, builds very nice, custom bikes, used by some of the top professionals in the cycling world. We of course ruminated over the good old days. He is a good friend of Glen Fukui, who had one of the most powerful Tigers in the west coast. It had a major shunt at the Victoria speedway, and Glen has not re-built it to this day.

Randy's Tiger he has just bought from down South, absolutely mint, with some mods as you can see, even the hand formed hood scoop.
Attachments
IMGP8121 (Large).JPG
IMGP8121 (Large).JPG (334.1 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
IMGP8120 (Large).JPG
IMGP8120 (Large).JPG (245.52 KiB) Viewed 3973 times
IMGP8119 (Large).JPG
IMGP8119 (Large).JPG (293.26 KiB) Viewed 3973 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Just because...this is Glen in his Tiger at the Whistler solo, back in the 80's, some 500 Hp lurking in it.

It sounded soooooo good!
Attachments
scan0002 (5).jpg
scan0002 (5).jpg (343.74 KiB) Viewed 3972 times

Keith Law
thegreencar

Post by thegreencar »

I Drained the transmission's gear oil only to find the fill plug is seriously stuck. sprayed it with pb blaster over night but it wont budge. I am using a 17mm open ended wrench and all my 160lbs. myabe a crows foot and a breaker bar?

I was googling if this has happened, and a guy with a z had something similar happen and it was suggested that if it came down to it he could fill it via the neutral safety switch.

Any tips?
Attachments
fillplug.png
fillplug.png (239.22 KiB) Viewed 3933 times
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Fill plug is on the other side of most Z trannies I've seen. All other holes should have switches with wires, so as long as its a square headed plug, its pretty much got to be the fill spot.

First grab a 19mm 12 point box end (or 3/4") and slip that over the square end of the plug. Can't afford to round that over or you will be using vise grips.

Beat the crap out of it with as big a hammer as you have. Then extend your reach with as much cheater bar as you get in there if that doesn't work.

All else fails its torch time. Concentrate on the plug. Its old sealant that's the problem, not tightness.

Yes you can use the reverse or neutral switch holes if all else fails.
thegreencar

Post by thegreencar »

this is on my 510, but looking up stuck datsun trans plugs lead me to some z car forum.

I only hope its dried out sealant and not bimetallic bonding. I didn't think of using a 12pt box wrench.

Thanks!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I've dealt with this as well. You can do this two ways when it comes to the torch;
Heat only the casting around during the plug or
Heat only the plug.

The methods work in entirely different ways. The theory of beating around the plus expands the aluminum and frees up the area around the thread letting the plug turn.
I have in practice however found that concentrating the heat on the plug only expands the plug into the casing, crushing the sealant in the process, and then as it cools down which it will do quickly, space is available left between the plug and casing.
In both cases, watch (feel) foe hauling between the two surface es as the plug starts to turn. If you fail the threads, your kinda SOL!

Keep us posted.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Great_Escape
Supporter

Post by Great_Escape »

Went on a drive 20 or 30 min drive to tune in my brake bias, 200 miles later I think I got it. I hate it when I loose track of time. :D

two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Where is that? Summit?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Great_Escape
Supporter

Post by Great_Escape »

two_68_510s wrote:Where is that? Summit?
First one is Bear Creek, Second is Skyline. My Drive started going south on 1 to my favorite Corralitos test track. Then Coming up the back side of Summit I drove right by my drive way and didn't stop till I hit Halfmoon Bay. A little glimps of the ocean then right back up the into the hills at Pescadaro. And the new tunnel at devils slide makes my car sound great.