Reusing clutch / pressure plate bolts?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Rheis

Reusing clutch / pressure plate bolts?

Post by Rheis »

Hi guys I was about to put on my new clutch and pressure plate when I noticed the 6 bolts had all the lock washers crushed flat. These are part of the bolt so its not like you can just change them. I was able to bend them back to looking almost normal. I snugged them down a bit and backed them out but they seem to crush back to almost flat so is this normal or should I go buy some new ones? Also read some people put Loctite on these bolts. I just don't know if I should replace them and assume Nissan would have them in the proper size and spec with integrated lock washer. What do you guys do, I really don't want these backing out or breaking if they were stretched at some point? Furthermore they are smooth on top and have no markings whatsoever which makes me wonder what grade they are.

Thanks in advance
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Reusing clutch / pressure plate bolts?

Post by okayfine »

If your lock washers are crushing flat, then they aren't going to do what they're intended to do. This could also be a sign those bolts were overheated at some point, removing the spring/temper from the washers.

Nissan bolts are nice, but not necessary, as far as the integrated washer is concerned.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

M8 X 1.25 standard flywheel bolt........ 30223-21000 .... $1.50... torque 17.5 to 18.5 ft. lbs.
Lock washer for above...................... 08915-23810 .... $1.00
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Rheis

Post by Rheis »

Thank you for the info guys. I just phoned Nissan and the bolts are no longer available, only the washers. While I was at it I asked about new motor mounts which are also NLA. So I guess its off to the hardware store for these things in the strongest grade I can get. I believe I read somewhere that the flywheel bolts are an in between size and I would need to go a little longer or shorter. I'm not sure what way to go though, I guess I'll use a depth gauge and find out how deep the flywheel holes are.

Thanks again for the help
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Motor mounts (and MT flywheel bolts?) were very recently still available in the US. Different system from NissanCA.

Also consider that the bolts for the PP basically hold it on, it's the dowels that do most of the resist-twisting action.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson