Cmac

Re: Aussie 510 SR20 four door

Post by Cmac »

Oh my ! what a great looking car and the attention to detail is top notch
aaron730670

Post by aaron730670 »

Well getting real close now.

Tried to start it last weekend, it ran rough as guts.
reset the TPS and now all good, running well.

got a few electrical things to tidy up under the dash, set the suspension up and a few bits and pieces and then it can be checked by a engineer.

two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

She is a beauty, the blue goes really well with the light colored grill, very nice.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
harryagain
Supporter

Post by harryagain »

Aaron,

Your car is looking great, you'll have to come for a drive to my place soon, help shake out all the BUGS.

PS..... I should receive my car sometime this week.
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563
aaron730670

Post by aaron730670 »

Waiting on engineer approval and i'm good to be let loose on the road.
Drove it back from the tuners the other day first time, big grin all the way home.

two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Looking very nice! Are those USDM side markers?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

What's the instrument cluster from?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
aaron730670

Post by aaron730670 »

The side markers are 68/69 ones on jap and Aussie models not sure if you got them in the US.

Instruments are from a 1200 coupe, cut down the panel and 're wired them. Needs abit more work to be a perfect fit.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Upturned arrow markers aren't actually early JDM. My '69 Bluebird has the larger straight-arrow markers.

That instrument panel already looks good. I'd love to see some closer pictures once you're happy with it.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
aaron730670

Post by aaron730670 »

For Australian cars all 68/69 had the upturn markers and then the straight ones till the end.

Will put a close up when I'm happy but that could be awhile, practical completion is good enough for the moment.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Outstanding Aaron :!: Very impressive attention to detail throughout this build and all that work really shows in the end. It's an interesting contrast between the understated subtle exterior mods and the eye popping color. How's it running by the way? Did you have much trouble getting your plates? I'd love to see some video if you have any.

You may have run into a bit of trouble with the clutch master cylinder, but trust me, that was but a hick up compared to what we go through here in the States. Swapping an SR in a right hand drive 510 has serious advantages over LHD. We have to deal with the exhaust and all that heat running right through the steering and pedals. That means converting to top mount turbo, after market waste gate and oil/water lines. Then you have to figure out heat shielding around the exhaust turbine and down pipe to protect the brake M/C, and so on. In the end my engine bay was filled with a bunch of fancy after market workarounds. Looking at your car, I think the SR looks so much cleaner and refined with the turbo tucked down below.

Congratulations mate, great job.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
aaron730670

Post by aaron730670 »

RonM wrote:Outstanding Aaron :!: Very impressive attention to detail throughout this build and all that work really shows in the end. It's an interesting contrast between the understated subtle exterior mods and the eye popping color. How's it running by the way? Did you have much trouble getting your plates? I'd love to see some video if you have any.

You may have run into a bit of trouble with the clutch master cylinder, but trust me, that was but a hick up compared to what we go through here in the States. Swapping an SR in a right hand drive 510 has serious advantages over LHD. We have to deal with the exhaust and all that heat running right through the steering and pedals. That means converting to top mount turbo, after market waste gate and oil/water lines. Then you have to figure out heat shielding around the exhaust turbine and down pipe to protect the brake M/C, and so on. In the end my engine bay was filled with a bunch of fancy after market workarounds. Looking at your car, I think the SR looks so much cleaner and refined with the turbo tucked down below.

Congratulations mate, great job.
Thanks, I am really glad I didn't have to mess around with the LHD issues you all have. But the legal hoops that have to be jumped through in Western Australia just to put a SR in are ridiculous. There are some even pointless things I had to do, such as have a secure mounting point for a spare wheel yet I'm not required to have a spare wheel.
it still has to be checked over by a engineer at my expense before it goes to the Gov inspection pitts (DMV)
The number plates on it are the original 1971 plates it got when it left the dealership.
muvro

Post by muvro »

Great job!!! Looks awesome!
aaron730670

Post by aaron730670 »

Been awhile since i been on. just enjoying being able to drive it.
done a bit of tweaking, changed the wheel colour, started putting in some speakers. have other plans for this year like finishing the AC install.

Heres some recent photos top one from a show and shine event today.

aaron730670

Post by aaron730670 »

Long time no updates, well it's mostly been spent tweaking things redoing things better and of course breaking things.

Firstly I never liked the steering column surround so here's what I made for that.

Made out of PVC and mdf, covered in alcantara. It looks grey in photos but it is black.

Secondly I finaly got hold of some NOS orange front indicators. Cost me a packet but I like it allot better.

Got more updates over the next day or two as I organise my phone photos and photobucket.