Old school 510

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
Sleepys-14

Re: Old school 510

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Ive always used the gm or ford limited slip additive for all of my diffs. I have a bunch of them if you want me to send you a bottle or 2.
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Thanks for the offer but I picked up a bottle of Redline friction modifier at lunchtime today.
I'll see how it goes this weekend.

So I'm gathering by the response I've gotten that you really need to fine tune the amount of slip you want in the CLSD by varying the amount of friction modifier. As always this forum has been super helpful.
I hope this does the trick

BP
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Ive used other gear lubes in the past and then added a bottle of additive, that seemed to work perfect every time. I have a 2005 STI clsd in my 510 currently, and have since switched from subaru mt90 to redline 75w90 gl5, and it has been perfect ever since. I havent had to add any additive to the redline fluid and you cant even hear the diff. My breakaway torque is pretty light (~30ftlbs), so that might have something to do with it.
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

I also picked up a quart of redline 75w90 gl5 when I bought the friction modifier.
I'll drain the diff start off with the 75w90 and add the modifier as necessary
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

Bike papa wrote:Here's a small update:

the Wife and I drove the car to a small Cars and Coffee gathering last Sunday.
Mostly American Muscle Cars so consequently mine looked a little out of place. but it was nice to have it on the road.
I still have a few bugs to work out (I guess these projects are never really finished) the R160CLSD I bought from a member a couple of years ago has what I consider as an excessive amount of chatter when going around a corner. it was either set up with very minimal slip or its just worn out. I guess new oil seals and and a fresh paint job do not guarantee proper working internals. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Once I get the Diff sorted out I'll changeout the rear wheel bearings, control arm bushings and install the CV Halfshafts
I've also been thinking about changing out the "SUs" for a set of Mikuni HSR Carbs. from what I've read they offer a huge improvement in drivability and as well as an improvement in performance. anyone have any experience with these?
In anticipation for the next round of work i decided to clean up my workshop/garage. threw tons of stuff away and i can actually see the top of my workbenches!
My Dad says it is time for me to put my motor bike back together but i think that will have to wait a bit.
that's it for now
BP
The diff was pulled from a low mile non turbo car from Colorado... I doubt "being a AWD" that it saw any abuse.Glad its not whining cause then it would be a problem bearings are not cheap! I would recommend that you use OE fluid. If your still not happy with it, I will gladly buy it back from you for what I sold it to you for. Than you can put a viscous type diff and it will be all nice a quite for you!
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Brian,
this might have been a bit of a premature rant due to my lack of experience with CLSDs
I'll be changing out the diff fluids this weekend which hopefully solves my "Perceived" problem.

However, I do appreciate the buyback offer

BP
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Success!
I drained out all of the old stuff and put in the Redline 75w90 synthetic with a splash of Redline friction modifier just for good measure. Found a parking lot and drove in circles until I was Dizzy . Chatter was gone!

Thanks all

BP
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

good to hear.. pun intended
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Once it gets a little cooler we should do a cruz!
looking for pass. side arm rest
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

I finally got around having the guys at the stainless shop bend me up a set of door sill plates.
the didn't need to extend past the door welting on the inside since i installed vinyl covered cover pieces below the door openings

I was lucky in that they have a 1/2" dia half round set of dies for their press brake.

BP
Attachments
sill 1 .jpg
sill 1 .jpg (89.87 KiB) Viewed 6069 times
sill 2.jpg
sill 2.jpg (107.75 KiB) Viewed 6069 times
sill 3.jpg
sill 3.jpg (134.11 KiB) Viewed 6069 times
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Sano!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Laser etching is calling your name!

Beautiful job, but I know how good those guys are!!

That is probably the cheapest looking piece of the car stock, really cleans up the interior.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Uhhhh chirstmas is coming soon Joel!

Those look great.
looking for pass. side arm rest
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

OMG WOW :shock:

Very nice stuff.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
dscottdatsun
Supporter

Post by dscottdatsun »

I don't often chime in, but I have to say those door sill plate are a thing of beauty! I only wish those where available to the rest of us.

By the way, your car is most certainly a benchmark for those working on their own to achieve.

Thanks for sharing