JFZ Brakes on 510 strut / hubs

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
jaredperry

JFZ Brakes on 510 strut / hubs

Post by jaredperry »

Has anyone been able to run the JFZ front calipers on a 510 Strut / Hub assembly?

I may have to make adapters and run IQ font rotors, but just wondering if anyone has done this.

Thanks,
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: JFZ Brakes on 510 strut / hubs

Post by bertvorgon »

Which caliper? I have run the Mini GN's way back, and now run the modern equivalent from BRAKE MAN.

Also, I made mounts for the 280zx strut, not the stock strut.

The early JFZ's flexed like crazy, I hated them. Then I went to Wilwood, same thing.

The Brake Man have been awesome.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
jaredperry

Post by jaredperry »

Unsure of the Model.

Do you by chance still have your CAD file for the mounts? Also, what rotors did you use?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

No..this was done LONG before CAD stuff.

The rotor is just the stock 280ZX one, nothing fancy. Our cars are light, so with some proper cooling and discs on the back braking is more than adequate for road racing other than the most severe conditions of little cool down period between corners.

For a street car they are beyond awesome.

My setup will clear a 13" early Panasport wheel, zero offset, 15" are not an issue at all.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Mounts for stock struts would be different for mounts for ZX struts. Rotor and hub choice will also affect design.

If you're looking for a JY BBK, the Z31 11" vented rotors, Z31 hubs, ZX struts, and Wilwood calipers can be made to work together with a simple 2D dogbone bracket. Outlined in DQ 5.3. Wilwoods aren't the stiffest, but the design could be easily adapted.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

jaredperry wrote:Unsure of the Model.

Do you by chance still have your CAD file for the mounts? Also, what rotors did you use?
I know its worth the try to ask for these models, but If you find a person willing to give these up.. Then you are one lucky guy...

The best thing I can suggest and lots of respect due for doing so. Get your car parts you want to adapt and design the mounts, adapters, and other bits in your CAD system. Even if you mimic a similar design, but you did all the measuring and model work for yourself. That is cool stuff and you did it.

I know that there are CAD sharing sites on the interwebz too. www.Grabcad.com is one I believe.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
jaredperry

Post by jaredperry »

A good friend of mine is in the process of making this happen with solidworks. We are using a late 80's vented honda civic rotor to allow enough clearance in a 13" wheel. The JFZ brakes should be able to mount to the 510 hub with ease.

The hub had to be milled a little and the mounting holes elongated as well.

Stay tuned!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

jaredperry wrote:and the mounting holes elongated as well.
That doesn't sound optimal. The Honda rotor doesn't have the right bolt center to bolt to the 510 hub? Do you have pictures?

Might be better to turn down the OD of a ZX rotor or similar to get the OD you need. ZX brakes (and shaving the ZX caliper some) fit into 13" wheels. Depends on the JFZ caliper and the particular wheel you're using.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510racer28

Post by 510racer28 »

I'm in the process of restoring an old GT4 510 with JFZ brakes on the stock 510 struts. Unfortunately the car is in FL at the body shop and I'm in AL. I'll be picking it up later this year and can send some pictures.
jaredperry

Post by jaredperry »

The brake brackets should be finished this week. I will post up pictures of the bored hub and brackets at that time.

FYI... the JFZ is the same as the Willwood bolt pattern, so the brackets are pretty much universal.

This is also on a OEM 510 strut assembly and fits easily under a 13" wheel and available to purchase for others you don't want to upgrade the strut assembly and your wheel size.

510tsunami

Post by 510tsunami »

Does anyone have contact information for the Brake Man?