Correct Drive Shaft Bolts

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
2DoorJim
Supporter

Correct Drive Shaft Bolts

Post by 2DoorJim »

Installing my drive shaft and I've lost the bolts. I found several correct length but different bolts in my 25+ year old box of hardware but I'm not sure if there is a grade issue between them.

Would someone know which is correct? or, are these all OK, or wrong...

Image[/url]
James

Re: Correct Drive Shaft Bolts

Post by James »

I think the driveshaft bolts are shouldered (going from bad memory).
I can check as the engine (and driveshaft) is out of my car, and I can take a pic of the bolts and will post up later tonight…..
Finished is better than perfect......
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Thanks for the reply James, all three of these types have shoulders, and they are the same length, correct looking length. It comes down to grade. Not sure if one of these is cheese, like grade 0, 2, or 5 equivalent when I'd think the correct bolts for here must be more like gr 8 or 12.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I have 4 lil bolts in a bag that says "510 DS bolts". Walking to shop now... pics coming in hot!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Here's what I used. Not sure if it's OEM or not but it came out of my car. Shouldn't go wrong with a properly torqued class 10.9 or 12.9 bolt. It's 25mm below the head, fully threaded (no shoulder).

'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The factory bolts are definaterly shouldered bolts, but I can not give you an exact example or photo.

I do know I replaced mine with new the last time I removed the transmission and replaced the clutch - and they were still available from Nissan (2009 I think).

I can tell you for sure that they have 12mm hex heads.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Jordan, Byron, thanks both of you for the feedback. I scrounged up four of the "TR" bolts (the ones in my bucket did have shoulders). I put a mic on them and got .314 versus my other two styles in my picture which were ~.312 which makes me think Datsun used close tolerance, less likelihood of working loose perhaps. They did press in a bit tight.

I also think I found my original bolts, they were actually 5/16 NF gr8 without shoulders, hence why I couldn't find them earlier. I might be making a big deal out of nothing but I'd rather not have this equipment come apart at 7000 in fifth, if ya know what I mean.

Thx.
Jim

Ps driveshaft is in, still needs half shafts, intercooler tanks, and a bit of exhaust, then install oil, anti, brake juice and it'll be ready to fire. Heading out for a week of vacation first though! My patience is wearing thin here, its been about a year to this point.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Any Subaru we used to rob the diffs out of will use the same/correct bolts. Always has been reported that full-threaded bolts ended up working loose over time.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

What Julian said. The DS bolts do have a shoulder and do fit snug as I recently replaced mine with factory pieces when I did my clutch. I picked up the DS bolts about 6 years ago at Puenty Hills Nissan in La Puenty, CA while visiting friends and family. Sorry I didn't get part numbers just four bolts, nuts and washers in a plastic bag.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

BOLT-HEX M8X1.25 08120-82510
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

I got a bin full of Z drive shaft bolts to choose from if you want to come over and hunt. Should be home this evening. Still haven't seen this stunning 510 of yours....