Old school 510

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
Bike papa
Supporter

Re: Old school 510

Post by Bike papa »

Okay
I haven't heard the term"Sano" since I left SoCal, brings back good memories
Thanks all for the compliments
I was just lucky they had the round press brake die otherwise it wouldn't have been possible

As for making more. I would have to ask them if they are interested and of course there would be a cost involved.
I can't make any promises.

BP

PS I just came back from Austin TX. I went to the Circuit of The Americas rack track the see the IMSA GTP race
It is a first class facility It's an easy trip for me since my daughter moved to Austin last January And as an added plus. the NISMO display had the John Morton BRE 510 on display.
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

I've been talking with the stainless shop guys about making a small run of sill plates if there is enough interest. maybe 20- 30 sets these would be for the 2 door

I've attached a close up pic to show the fit over the welting.

I have one question: the stock sill plates are 33" long the set I had made are 32" since the stainless normally comes in 96" long sheets its cheaper to make them 32" long since the sheets can be sheared into 3 sections. Would there be any heartache making them an inch shorter?
Attachments
sill close up .jpg
sill close up .jpg (104.94 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
grille .jpg
grille .jpg (156.41 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Nope not a problem for me!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Im in! Not a problem at all for me either.

Running a little short has not hurt me thus far........ :lol:
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

What's the max width of their brake? Seems you could make one long piece for the four-door guys if they didn't mind cutting it to make a front/rear. IIRC the front is something like 25" and the rear is 17". If they can do 48", they could cut a 96" piece in half, bend it, and send it.

Just a thought, if that helps your group buy become real.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

I believe that set of dies is 120". Yeah 48" is entirely doable
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Those Sills are nice. Sure hope something is underneath to protect the paint and any edge digging.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

For paint damage prevention, I would prefer those stainless sill plates and their flat lay-on-top design versus the stamped edge-on-the-paint style of the OE plates.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

I wonder if the bend over the edge interferes with the weatherstripping at the bottom of the door ? When I did a pair of these many years ago, I did not have the forward edge bend and just sat on the sill. One problem , that I did have, was the bend in the front where the kick panel raised portion is, the part the screw goes thru. I think that it would require a die to make it. What I ended up doing, was to notch the kick panel and moving the screw farther forward from it's orginal location.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I'm in for a set of those...! Mine are dented to hell, would be nice to have DATSUN engraved or laser'ed on it.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

510Wiz,

yes the weatherstrip does hit the turned down edge. on my car it didn't make a difference on the drivers side but I noticed the passenger door was a bit harder to close.
I though this would be really cool and was hoping they wouldn't interfere with the seals, I was half right!
These were made from 20 Ga SS I'm thinking that 22 ga would've been better since it is a bit thinner and it is important that the edge fit as close to the body as possible
(these do) one of the weak points of the original sills was the gap in the welting under the sill plate so there was no support for the paper thin aluminum. I ran mine the full length. however, if the turned down edge was eliminated, the thicker 20ga would help keep the finished edge straight

On the inside of the sill I have vinyl covered plates that cover the vertical panels just below the welting they are flush with the kick panels which is why I didn't extend the inside edge below the welting. which also eliminated the need for the forward square offset (which went over the trailing edge of the kick panel)

they could match the existing sill plate dimensions with the inner leg extending down below the welting and they could make a small die to create the offset (this might be the better option )

lots of different ideas on this any feed back is always appreciated
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Those look great ! and would also like to see the logo engraved
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

When I Swapped the motor and transmission 25 years ago i never hooked up the speedometer because 1, the cable was too short and 2 the drive insert would never fit all the way into the transmission. so this time around i decided to get everything working. i bought a longer cable and a new drive gear and sleeve (Blue to match the 3:70 Subi clsd rear end) everything fit perfectly but unfortunately my speedometer was reading 10 MPH faster then i was actually going. after a bit of head scratching i knew i needed a larger drive gear. so i dug out the old one that never fit. it was a red gear which is supposed to be for a 4.111 rear end. so i figured it was worth a try. the old sleeve had the notch for the retaining tab 180 degrees opposed from the new one i bought with the blue gear. so i cut a new notch in the sleeve rotated it to align with the retaining tab and it fit right in. i guess i never noticed that the gear was offset to one side of the sleeve (that was 25 tears ago) took it out for a test drive to compare it with my GPS speed app and it is right on at 30 MPH, 1 mph fast at 40, and about 1.5 -2 mph fast at 50.
this is with my 13 tires. the 14" set i have is about 1/2" larger on overall diameter so it may be spot on with that set. always a learning experience! I think the fact that this transmission came out of a truck which ran much taller tires accounts for the discrepancy

also my 40 year old fuel pump started leaking oil through the relief hole. i took it apart and found the plastic sleeve that fits around the piston was shot.
so now i'm patiently waiting for the new one i ordered yesterday.

life is still good.
BP
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

It's not always about the car.
Last Saturday I found time to take part in a charity ride for the local Special Olympics of Southern Nevada.
I don't mind climbing hills but it is definitely more challenging with a 20 mph headwind.
Except for the wind, the morning was beautiful, the other riders were friendly, and the cause was noble.

BP

PS I don't know if this picture right side up since I loaded it from my IPad
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (146.37 KiB) Viewed 6253 times
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
Pista_510

Post by Pista_510 »

Good on you - very worthy cause!

Made even more challenging on, what appears to be, a fixed gear bike too? Excellent!