Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Errands

Post by okayfine »

The 3-Wheeler is pretty good at running errands. I stretched the envelope a bit today, but it took Rich's new gas tank to the post office without complaint:
Outbound.jpg
Outbound.jpg (221.77 KiB) Viewed 6845 times
And returned after a small trip to Home Depot for some 4' boards and the weekly shop:
Inbound.jpg
Inbound.jpg (202.16 KiB) Viewed 6845 times
Talked with an older couple in the post office who singled me out as the owner (I was the only person at the counter) and had a bit of a chat. Turns out they are tandem cyclists as well. Also briefly discussed with a gentleman in the HD parking lot, got a thumbs-up from another fellow who was headed to Target.

You can't not have a good time driving around in it. Since I do so little driving any more, it's also quite a treat. Bit hot, though. Moving along, even with the radiator pushing out hot air, it's not TOO bad. Sitting at a light can get hot if the sun is out and the temp is up...and this is all me! The engine runs cool on the gauge, and the thermostat will cycle during some cruising (you can feel the heat stop).

I bought a sheet of aluminum to craft a vent/scoop thingy. Just have to wait for it to get to the top of my priority list.

BTW, when did UPS switch trucks? The ones they used to run for the last 30 years, I could hear those coming a mile away, and I knew when they were coming through my neighborhood. These new trucks are way quieter. Good, I guess (it's not like they sounded great, just loud), but at the same time, something's been lost.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
iniazy

Re: Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

Post by iniazy »

Love to see it. Wish I could feel it too. Great job, you must be really proud.
okayfine
Supporter

Heat Vent

Post by okayfine »

Went at some aluminum sheet to create a vent to direct radiator heat outside the passenger compartment. Construction of the vent was successful, starting with the side pieces:
IMG_6037.jpg
IMG_6037.jpg (187.04 KiB) Viewed 6761 times
Then fitting them in amongst the hood framing structure:
IMG_6038.jpg
IMG_6038.jpg (168 KiB) Viewed 6761 times
Then finishing the scoop section and riveting to the sides:

And a show showing the new speed holes:

Notice I said construction was successful. I got it to fit on the hood, got the hood to fit around the fan and other under-hood gubbins. Drove around a few times with it - because I hadn't sealed the vent to the radiator there was some heat leakage into the passenger compartment, but it was vastly reduced.

The problem, however, is pretty obvious now that I've suggested that it might not have been successful afterall. The exit vent is much smaller than the intake vent, and as such the vent as a whole can't move the air it needs to. I think most of that leakage mentioned above is due to pressure buildup since the air can't get out the top vent fast enough.

To fix this, I'd need to go to some sort of cowl vent or bubble hood. And I'm more inclined to deal with the heat than to risk modifying the hood and ending up with something that looks less appealing than what I now have.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Did a backroads trip in the 3-wheeler from my house, down into Camarillo to pick up an engine oil preluber from a friend, over to Harborfreight, then back home through the Santa Rosa valley and up into the backside of TO to the grocery store, and home. ~45 miles or so, done in the mid-morning to avoid the heat of the day.

Radiator venting heat isn't too bad as long as you keep moving so the coolant temp doesn't climb too much. Probably 1/4 of the trip had the thermostat closed since I was often doing a steady 55mph on flat ground. Until I decide to do something drastic to the hood (and avoid hot afternoons), I figure this will do.

A very nice drive.
okayfine
Supporter

Night Rider

Post by okayfine »

First real night drive in the 3-wheeler last night. Quite a different experience, at least once you get out of the city. Smells are the biggest difference from a 510 or other normal car. You smell everything in an open-top vehicle. People grillin', roadside flowers, pot from the dark car at the canyon overlook...

It was the perfect temp, as well. Cool, but not too cold, even at speed. Keeping the radiator venting into the cabin is probably the way I'm going to go, since it'll probably work better for most of the year.

Lights worked pretty well. Rear single light isn't the most light in the world, but it is bright. The headlights (aimed during the inspection) work nicely as well. I'd love to know what it looks like passing by in the night, but that's a lot of camera setup.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Hadn't thought of that, what a trip!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Thinking about getting a t-shirt made.
BigWheel.jpg
BigWheel.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Backside:
backside.jpg
backside.jpg (49.48 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

Get the t-shirt made!
Just read this build from P1, very well done Sir, it looks like a lot of fun to drive.
Bike geek hat on, noticed a Hope floating/vented rotor in one of the pictures, do you ride mountain bikes too?
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

randywanger wrote:Bike geek hat on, noticed a Hope floating/vented rotor in one of the pictures, do you ride mountain bikes too?
But of course. My wife and I both have single MTBs, but our money is in our full-suspension coupled tandem:
Ventana.jpg
Ventana.jpg (296.32 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
I love the Hope Mono6Ti brakes. Work quiet, easy to work on, easy to bleed, no problems in 7+ years. The UK also supplies our cranks and rings.
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

I don't think I'd trust my wench on a tandem, you're a brave man!
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

If anyone is brave, it's my stoker. Riding tandems for 12 years takes the fear out of it, though.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Lots of love today for the 3-wheeler. Out again around town, had a lengthy conversation with a gentleman at the library drop-off boxes, who followed me from the street. And three different sets of "What is that, did you make it?" at the local grocery store. Looking back over the public history, it's pretty split between women and men who ask about it, though it definitely skews towards the older crowd. One of the three people at the store was a younger lady, however.

I need to go take some pictures of it, since I don't have any outside the garage since I painted the rear shell. Still working on the t-shirt.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

A younger lady? she wanted to go for a ride 8>o Your tandem bike is sweet but the question begging to be asked is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,who's up front? Me, I'd let my wife take point just so I can watch even after 33 years hehehe!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I captain the tandem. It's more about individual weight, and the (necessary) ability of the captain to counter stoker weight. When the stoker reaches for a water bottle while riding, or especially when coming to a stop, the captain has to counter the forces pulling it to one side or the other.

The bottom bracket height on the tandem we have is ~3-4" higher than a single mountain bike (necessary for obstacle clearance with the much longer wheelbase), and center of gravity is much higher as a result. When riding, I'm a foot taller than when I'm standing on the ground.

On this bike, fatigue due to countering the stoker isn't an issue. We have a steel road bike that flexes a lot, and after 40 miles my arms burn.