Whitebird

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Whitebird

Post by okayfine »

Maybe. It HAS been a while since I've been driving the car, but I just don't remember this being an issue before.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I think one of your rubber lines to the front wheel has expanded or collapsed??? Those usually cause all kinds of weird problems.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Good call, will give 'em a look too.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Haven't gotten far with the brakes. Lines were new in '07 and, more or less, still look new. My idea for the see-through drum worked great, except with a new drum and pads with 5000 miles on them, there isn't much movement of the gubbins. So I'll probably pull the shoes off and look for witness marks.

In other news, I finally tackled the AAC valve replacement. Been dreading it, since coolant hoses are somewhat inaccessible and they all need to come off. Or do they? I always wondered why the SR and KA manifolds are split in two, and after I looked at it all I noticed that I wouldn't have to pull the coolant hoses if I didn't remove the lower/TB half of the manifold.

Or could I? Removed the bolts holding the manifold to the head and the upper manifold to the lower manifold. But since Nissan used studs in the outer holes of each half, there wasn't room to pull them apart. Which really seemed stupid.

So I pulled out the welder and zooked a couple nuts onto the studs for the manifold halves.
Bols.jpg
Bols.jpg (238.52 KiB) Viewed 6767 times
Those came out a treat and the upper manifold was removed easily.
Intake.jpg
Intake.jpg (236.19 KiB) Viewed 6767 times
The AAC valve replacement wasn't difficult at this stage, since it was sitting right there. The thing that sucked was that the AAC valve I pulled off for being bad looked mint inside:
AAC.jpg
AAC.jpg (199.81 KiB) Viewed 6767 times
So, here's hoping the used replacement I sourced will work correctly. If not, well...

I'd pulled apart the manifold sections knowing I had a intake gasket set. The '91 SE-R has the same intake manifold to head gasket, and they include the manifold half gasket...only it's too different to use. The S13 SR has an offset rear runner (you can see it above) and the SE-R is straight across. Only one of the five bolt holes lined up, and one other was close; the remaining three were of no use. So, RTV to the rescue.

Reassembly went smoothly. I still need to put coolant back in, reconnect the battery (welding on the car may be bad for the ECU), and deal with the brakes. Probably flush them since I'm there. We'll see.
spriso

Post by spriso »

That AAC valve does look good on the inside-- very interesting.

I do have S13 SR20 plenum gaskets in stock if you need them.

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Thanks, Michael. I have no plans to go back in there again :)
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

okayfine wrote: Reassembly went smoothly. I still need to put coolant back in, reconnect the battery (welding on the car may be bad for the ECU), and deal with the brakes. Probably flush them since I'm there. We'll see.
Your ok with welding on the car. I've done it so many times on my 510 it's crazy. But for safety sakes I simply disconnect the battery and place the ground clamp as close to where I'm welding as possible. 5 years and no problems,,,well except for that time I,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

HF TIG starts are supposed to be bad juju for powered electrics. I was using MIG, but it's 10 seconds to pull the ground off the battery.

In other news, I poked around the brakes. It may well be that some old grease combined with some brake dust to form a substandard (but good enough for gub'mint work) glue. The raised metal pads on the backing plate that support the indented sections of the brake shoes were covered in varying thicknesses of the greaseglue. Cleaned it all off. Will have a drive report shortly.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

okayfine wrote:HF TIG starts are supposed to be bad juju for powered electrics. I was using MIG, but it's 10 seconds to pull the ground off the battery.
Couldn't agree with you more , I mean that is 10 seconds cutting into beer time 8>)
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dunno, I mean, I DO have TWO hands, after all...
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Brakes now stop straight and true under light or heavy pedal applications. Result! :mrgreen:
wagoneer

Post by wagoneer »

Inspirational! To say the least Julian you are a #1 asset to the Realm and it's members. If I had a lot more money I'd give you some. I do have a few cold bottles of suds in the frig. I might need to bring them down when I come to visit you someday. Wagoneer
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Don't need praise nor money, just help spread the Datsun word to others. :mrgreen:
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Well Hell wagoneer if Julian declines the suds I'll take it. But then it is a long drive to New Hampshire hehehe!!!
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Lou, gotta read more carefully...I NEVER declined the beer...