Trans fluid ???

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
jarclay

Trans fluid ???

Post by jarclay »

Hey everybody,
Been gone for a while. life, work and other stuff. But still enjoying my 510 more than ever. My
question is my 510 has a 5 speed out of a 200 sx. I want to change the fluid, oil ?
I need your suggestions on what to use. As always thanks for the help.

James B.
JordanTr

Re: Trans fluid ???

Post by JordanTr »

I'd bet that it's looking for a GL-4 type oil.

I've been running GM Synchromesh in my 510 for the past year. Even had a bout of sub freezing one time and it still shifted well cold. This fluid is a world of difference compared to the Redline MT-90 I ran before. My car runs a KA 71C 5 speed behind a KA24DE.

Here's the link where I learned about the stuff. It's cheap to buy from a GM stealership.
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... gm#p229012
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I use a cheap semi synthetic blend but don't drive it in the winter so can't say how well it would do. I did find that it improved the shift quality when the trans was cold. Synthetic tends to wet the tailshaft unless you also replace the old seal. Stuff is very slippery.

This GM stuff I'd like to try this summer. I have a bastard CA18ET transmission I'd like to put together.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I've been running ATF in my wagon 4spd/L16 for two years but have switched everything else to strait 50w synthetic "heavy truck" transmission oil.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

I'm a huge fan of the GM friction modified trans fluid.
Big difference between it and redline 90 wt

BP
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Just picked up some AC-Delco fluid this afternoon and put it into my Mazda 3, hoping it will ease the crunch as others have said it should.

FWIW though the part number from my local (Canadian) GM dealer is different from what I've seen posted here. I asked for AC Delco 10953509 and he gave me 89021808. Black bottle with a label that says "Synchromesh transmission fluid." On the back it describes it as "an amber colored, light bodied base produce that is a synthetic blend manual transmission fluid."

The parts guy told me that the former number (10953509) is "old"-- he spent quite a while looking it up-- and he assured me that this is actually the same stuff, despite having a different number (and also not saying anything on the label about it being friction modified!). Hmmm...

I guess it's a bit late to be asking about this now, since I already put it in my tranny, but I'm wondering if this actually is the stuff I was looking for! Anybody know? Does GM make more than one manual tranny fluid, or is this pretty much "it" by default?
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

See about halfway down.
" AC Delco Synchromesh Transmission Fluid" ... General Motors Canada Part # 89021808
" AC Delco Synchromesh Transmission Fluid - Friction Modified" -GM USA Part # 10953509

Difference between the above is labelling to meet national standards.

GM Friction Modified - #12377916 is an old part # and the above replaces it.

The MSDS for the above lists the product as "Shell MTX Fluid", and that is confirmed by Shell documentation.

Shell documentation shows is also sold by Chrysler dealers as "SYNCHROMESH TRANSMISSION FLUID" Code 1874 MTX Fluid; MOPAR Part # 4761526

The fluid is a popular recommended MTF in Getrag transmissions, Honda, and Mazda 5 and 6 speeds. Users generally report better shift feel at all operating temperatures and better low-temperature performance at cold-start.

Also it is used as the bulk fill fluid at some Mazda dealers (confirmed for Burlington Mazda (Toronto) and Mountain Mazda (Hamilton ON).

I have also heard anecdotal reports that Honda approves it's use and accepts it as warranty-approved, but that should be confirmed by the user by talking to Honda.
I don't usually want to read about oil... but when I do, I go to: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... ber=511788
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Jordan, thanks for doing the leg-work on this. I was thinking after my last post that I should have done a bit more searching myself before asking some of those questions... so thanks for humoring my laziness anyway.

This info suggests that I did buy the right stuff, and this morning's 10 km drive to work seems to confirm it. Easier shifting right from a "cold start" (-2 C). More time might change this impression, but this GM fluid seems to have especially helped my tranny's chronic crunch going into 3rd gear, up or down. This Mazda ( / Ford) box is notorious for that problem and in fact I understand Mazda has produced a different gear-carrier to address the issue when the tranny is rebuilt. But for now, this fluid eases it significantly.

Can't say I notice quite as much improvement on the 2nd and 4th gear synchros, which are a more typical tranny problem of course. But I'm only 10 km into the experiment.... we'll see what sort of tale time tells.
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
jarclay

Post by jarclay »

Thanks to everyone for the help, now I just need to make up my mind.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

JordanTr wrote:See about halfway down.
The MSDS for the above lists the product as "Shell MTX Fluid", and that is confirmed by Shell documentation.

Shell documentation shows is also sold by Chrysler dealers as "SYNCHROMESH TRANSMISSION FLUID" Code 1874 MTX Fluid; MOPAR Part # 4761526

So it's really made by Shell then as GM does not make oil, they just tag on an extra cost for the label. Go to the source.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

User update: I've put 1000 km on the GM semi-synthetic, friction modified fluid in my 2006 Mazda 3, and what a crazy difference this stuff has made. I'm amazed how it's transformed this transmission.

Before putting it in, I had gotten quotes on rebuilding the transmission. Synchros were balky on 2nd and 3rd, shifting up and down, and 3rd was almost impossible to shift without a "crunch" due to a known design problem (a rebuild involves replacing the 3rd gear assembly). Trying this fluid was a last-ditch effort to avoid spending huge coin.

Within a day or so I noticed significant change. Now, about 3 weeks later (1000 km), it's almost as good as having a rebuild. Curiously, the 3rd gear problem that was the worst, before, has shown the most improvement: shifts are smooth and fast, every time, up and down. I still have to wait a little going into 2nd to let the synchro do its thing, but the delay is a fraction of what it used to be-- and, when I wait, there's no crunch at all.

Finally: No, I don't work for GM... or Shell... or have any interest, economic or otherwise, in selling this product! :D
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Bought this magic tranny elixer this afternoon at the Local GM dealer. They had the AC Delco 10953509 in a bottle for $19.54 CDN. What have you guys been paying for it in BC and Edmonton?

Hopefully it will quiet my third/fifth gear whining z tranny and keep life in my dogleg in the 510
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (87.15 KiB) Viewed 6784 times
Last edited by zKars on 04 Mar 2021 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

IIRC I payed a similar amount for mine a year ago.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

GL-4 or GL-5? I run Redline MT-90 in my SR trans and it's wonderful stuff but then I don't drive the 510 in the winter but!!! if you ever have to pull your trans apart the redline oil smells as sweet as an ice cold IPA, not all skunked up like conventional trans lube. Not to say this GM elixir won't come out stinky. Was wondering why you would run trans lube with modifiers in it?
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon