1971 2 Door, L16 --> 2.1 Long Rod --> CA18DET

View and post your 510 project(s)
510rob

Re: 1971 2 Door 70s build

Post by 510rob »

Canadian510 wrote:Might take the block out to the engine shop Monday to be bored while i keep an eye out for some pistons.
Don't take the block to the shop to be over-bore'd until you PHYSICALLY POSSESS - IN YOUR HANDS - the EXACT pistons you plan to use AND can simultaneously supply both the pistons and the block to the shop, such that the shop can bore the block to match the pistons.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

510rob wrote:
Canadian510 wrote:Might take the block out to the engine shop Monday to be bored while i keep an eye out for some pistons.
Don't take the block to the shop to be over-bore'd until you PHYSICALLY POSSESS - IN YOUR HANDS - the EXACT pistons you plan to use AND can simultaneously supply both the pistons and the block to the shop, such that the shop can bore the block to match the pistons.

Agreed - any machinist worth his weight would not bore/hone/finish the block anyways without the pistons in hand....

These are still available from various suppliers. You'll need to have the pistons in hand brfore moviong forward.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Byron510 wrote:
510rob wrote:

Agreed - any machinist worth his weight would not bore/hone/finish the block anyways without the pistons in hand....

These are still available from various suppliers. You'll need to have the pistons in hand brfore moviong forward.

Byron
Thanks for the info, now that i think about it i probably should supply all that stuff first. Rods are on the way and I'm currently looking at a set of pistons at rockauto
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Finished tearing down the engine to a bare block tonight so started working on fitting my new seats in the car. Was able to pick up a nice set of 240z seats for next to nothing so went about installing them. They turned out to be mounted a few inches narrower than the stock seats so had to figure something out there. Ended up moving the seat mounts inwards while trimming and shimming them in a few places and then welding them in where i couldn't really drill any holes. Very happy with how it turned out! Just cleaning up the seats and unseizing one of the sliders then I'll be good to go!

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic was more into working on the car haha
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Been quite awhile since i've updated this, had a lot happen this past month.

First off a big thanks to Byron for shortening and rethreading my struts for my MR2 inserts, made lowering the car much easier and cheaper. Got them all installed up front and the camaro shocks with d50 springs in the rear so the car is finally sitting on four wheels again. No pics yet, had too much else on the go.

Also got my tach delivered, custom ordered it from Speedhut to somewhat match the stock speedo since i'm mounting it in the dash.

And finally, got a pretty upsetting call at the end of feb. Turns out the storage place where i was keeping my Fiesta ST burned to the ground along with the 30+ cars that were in there. Insurance tried to screw me around saying they couldn't go look at the car until May but after spending close to 3 weeks making some calls and talking to a manager i finally got a cheque in the mail for the ballance owing on the car.

While i was at the dealer paying off the ST they mentioned they still had a 2011 Mustang GT California Special i was looking at last summer for sale and after some haggling got a call back from them a week later saying they'd accept my offer. Hopefully getting it flatbedded home in the next few days

two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Good looking Mustang. Did they make the CS model every year in Canada?

We only got it for 5 months worth of production back in '68! Did they do suspension mods?

Seems like I remember the US version being more show then go. Yours is much less gaudy and better looking all around.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

two_68_510s wrote:Good looking Mustang. Did they make the CS model every year in Canada?

We only got it for 5 months worth of production back in '68! Did they do suspension mods?

Seems like I remember the US version being more show then go. Yours is much less gaudy and better looking all around.
Thanks! I believe they did make them every year just in pretty limited numbers(around 6000 coupes 400 of which were white in 2011). And the pack is all show no go haha, there's some wider and bigger wheels but thats about it apart from the cosmetics and interior. Searched and eventually found the window sticker for it, turns out it has the optional 3.73 lsd rear end so there's a little more performance than a normal one but it'll be marginal. I just liked the look of it and with next to no kms on it (20,000) and a good price couldn't say no!
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Finally got the car out of the garage and into the sun! Getting the exhaust put on tomorrow hopefully and then can finally drive it!

Last edited by Canadian510 on 15 Nov 2017 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Got a call from the shop last night letting me know that the exhaust is all tacked into place and should be done today! It's gonna be a long day at work waiting for them to call haha. They also did a quick run through to see if it would pass inspection and it turns out it's all good to go except for one of the U-Joints on the passenger half shaft and they couldn't source one. After doing some searching online i've got 6 new U-joints for the halfshafts and driveshaft on the way. Very excited to finally be able to drive this thing around!
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Canadian510 wrote:Got a call from the shop last night letting me know that the exhaust is all tacked into place and should be done today! It's gonna be a long day at work waiting for them to call haha. They also did a quick run through to see if it would pass inspection and it turns out it's all good to go except for one of the U-Joints on the passenger half shaft and they couldn't source one. After doing some searching online i've got 6 new U-joints for the halfshafts and driveshaft on the way. Very excited to finally be able to drive this thing around!
Both halfshafts and the driveshaft wow!!! that's a 12-pack job fersure. While you're at it I'd clean up the shafts and maybe a new coat of paint.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Three B's Racing wrote:
Canadian510 wrote:Got a call from the shop last night letting me know that the exhaust is all tacked into place and should be done today! It's gonna be a long day at work waiting for them to call haha. They also did a quick run through to see if it would pass inspection and it turns out it's all good to go except for one of the U-Joints on the passenger half shaft and they couldn't source one. After doing some searching online i've got 6 new U-joints for the halfshafts and driveshaft on the way. Very excited to finally be able to drive this thing around!
Both halfshafts and the driveshaft wow!!! that's a 12-pack job fersure. While you're at it I'd clean up the shafts and maybe a new coat of paint.
Yeah not looking forward to it but figured while i have one off might as well change them all. Might wait for the winter to do the rest we'll see how it goes
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Got the exhaust all finished up and am very happy with the results! Not ignorant but has a nice aggressive sound. Been driving the car around town and back and forth to work trying to get used to the new trans and clutch (which is very different than the 6 speed in the mustang haha) but so far couldn't be happier. Have a few small things to still work out but it's running and driving at last!

My biggest problem now is deciding what one to drive in the morning haha

Last edited by Canadian510 on 15 Nov 2017 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Looks great - glad to hear you have it running now.

There are so few left on the east coast, you are a lucky man to have one at all.

So, are you the only guy on PEI representing our 510's?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Which one to drive depends on how quick you need to get there :)
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Byron510 wrote:Looks great - glad to hear you have it running now.

There are so few left on the east coast, you are a lucky man to have one at all.

So, are you the only guy on PEI representing our 510's?

Byron
Thanks! I believe i'm the only one here, never seen another and have gotten stopped a few times since yesterday afternoon by people saying they haven't seen any in years. Might have to find and pick up another so mine doesn't get lonely haha