2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: 2.3L of fun

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Thanks guys, it's really looking good. I'm excited to drive it again. It will be a totally different car. I will ask Andy what the ratio is on the pivot.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

It's Alive!
Moror.jpg
Moror.jpg (261.24 KiB) Viewed 3276 times
The engine bay looks a bit tighter.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

looking good norm! is that valve cover breather (the 90) stock and if so how does that fitting work?

And are all the stock fittings (fuel pump thermostat housing....)on the L series BSPT (British standard)?

also what is the heat shield protecting the master made of? what is it called and were would one get some?Image
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Thanks Robyn,
The 90 is not stock, Andy threaded in a new anodized fitting to go to the overflow can in the top right . The thermostat housing is stock with the bypass outlets capped off and I had the temp sensor hole welded up and the re tapped it to fit the sensor for the autometer digital gauge. I'm not sure about the fuel fittings. She now has an electric fuel pump that Andy put in that I haven't even had a chance to see yet. Andy took it out for a test drive this week on the one day without rain to see how close he was on the carb jetting. I'm going to try to get down there this weekend to take some better pictures. By the looks of the weather I won't be bringing it home for at least another week.....I don't want my first drive in it with well over double the HP to be on wet pavement. I will find out about that sheild for you. It's another custom Andy piece of art.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Andy was pretty impressed with how this thing ran......any time I hear that over the years.....means it's a wicked ride.

I asked him if I needed to turn the boost up.....he said no....but...don't be sleeping......Heh..heh...

I took it for a drive in the rain........ :wink:
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Looks great! Hope to see you out on our drives this year. :mrgreen:

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

McShagger510 wrote:Looks great! Hope to see you out on our drives this year. :mrgreen:

James
I will be. Not much left to do.

I'm going to be making the move to 15" wheels. Suggestions on tires would be appreciated. The wheels are going to be 15x7.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

bertvorgon wrote:Andy was pretty impressed with how this thing ran......any time I hear that over the years.....means it's a wicked ride.

I asked him if I needed to turn the boost up.....he said no....but...don't be sleeping......Heh..heh...

I took it for a drive in the rain........ :wink:
He sounds very happy with it. If he is I'm sure I will be.

The car is not afraid of the rain...the driver is afraid of putting it in a ditch his first time out with that much power. it's going to be a large jump from the stock 1.6L
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Tires...you SHOULD have some very good stick with that motor's torque and potential.....

Are you wanting milage....or stick?

Send me a PM and we can talk tires
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Get out there and smoke some tires!!!

I'd recommend a 205/50/15 on a 15x6.5 or 15x7. +12 - +35 range depending on which struts you've got. My R888s on 15x6.5 have a lot of grab behind my stock KA-DE with a 3.7 rear. They have been great for autoX and they make street driving and roundabouts too much fun haha.

Car looks great. I'm sure you'l have an awesome season! :D

'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

JordanTr wrote:Get out there and smoke some tires!!!

I'd recommend a 205/50/15 on a 15x6.5 or 15x7. +12 - +35 range depending on which struts you've got. My R888s on 15x6.5 have a lot of grab behind my stock KA-DE with a 3.7 rear. They have been great for autoX and they make street driving and roundabouts too much fun haha.

As soon as it stops raining enough to go get her I will be. That is the tire size I'm looking at, I have to take some measurements to see what backspacing I want exactly. I found 15x7 that start at 13.1lb depending on backspacing and they will do whatever spacing and bolt pattern you want at around $150/wheel. The new motor with the 4.44's should be able to light anything I put on there up pretty well.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

There have been plenty of discussions about the lack of 15" high performance choices now. What is a guy to do that wants a decent high performance tire that is also safe in the rain and cooler temps, ie tires you can put on a daily driver? I see there are more choices in 195, but 205's or wider in non-race tires are just not on any manufacturer's listings.

So what I'm really asking, cause this issue is not new, are there some secret sources of 15" tires that aren't in the 'big' mainstream sellers?

I have three sets of pretty 14" rims that I'm thinking of recycling...
510rob

Post by 510rob »

funwithmonkeys wrote:the 4.44's should be able to light anything I put on there up pretty well.
what diff is that?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

510rob wrote:
funwithmonkeys wrote:the 4.44's should be able to light anything I put on there up pretty well.
what diff is that?
I got a set of 4.44 gears put into a Subaru CLSD That originally had 3.90. With that gearing even the stock 1.6L would light up the tires.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

PM sent.

No "magic" tires out there, it will ALWAYS be a case of compromise IMHO!

Keith Law