Old school 510

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
TheHeretic
Supporter

Re: Old school 510

Post by TheHeretic »

And another question...you mentioned finding a nut and bolt kit. I have been looking for something like that as well. Any suggestions?
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Heretic,
Wow! I'm flattered that you are reading my build thread. The nut and bolt kit I found on eBay. It was for a FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
eBay # 3000855195648
The bolts have flanged heads but other than that they worked just fine. I replaced about 90% of the nuts and bolts on the car with this kit

The kits that (the other) Joel posted are more correct for the Datsun but I didn't know about them when I bought the other kit.
Plus shipping from Australia can be quite expensive.

Joel
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

It's been awhile since I've done anything to the car and i started to miss that (mostly self-inflicted) pain of working on a 40yr old car i decided it was time for some upgrades.
I decided that maybe i should upgrade my dizzy and replace the points with an electronic setup. Since I'm running a factory tach I decided to try the Pertronix (my friend has one in his Z and his tach works fine). Before I installed it I decided to pull the points plate and make sure the mechanical advance was working smoothly so I lubricated that assembly and made sure the points plate rotated freely for the vacuum advance. I put it all back together along with the Pertronix making sure that everything was wired correctly and started the car. It ran like crap! I checked the Timing and made sure all of the connections were good. Still no luck. Stumbled, missed and backfired and idled poorly also. So I decided to remove it and re-install the original points and condenser. it idled better but the stumble and misfire was still there. Hmmm. My Dad is coming up for New Year's and I had to get it running or suffer his relentless teasing while he diagnosed the problem.
Fortunately I still had saved the single point small dia. distributor that came with the JDM 1800 SSS Motor I bought 25 yrs ago. it was disassembled and the parts were three different boxes but I managed to find all of them (I guess it pays to be a pack-rat). I installed it and the motor now runs perfectly again. I have no idea what happened with my first dizzy. Especially since I was extra careful taking it apart and reassembling it. I might add that the first distributor is the larger dia single point unit that came with the L20B. I'm also running a dedicated ground wire from the Dizzy directly to the body. the points, condenser, cap and rotor and plug wires are all new.
So much for the 15Min install that I watched on the Pertronix web site. I guess I just needed a little excitement in my life.
With Christmas coming I decided to clean and polish the car, shine up the new front bumper from Futofab (that's another story for later) and put the car cover on it.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all

BP
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Very interested in your bumper story, when you get a chance!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

I Went to the Vintage Sports Car Racing Event in Las Vegas this past weekend.
here's a sample of some of the cars
Attachments
IMG_3839.jpg
IMG_3839.jpg (183.26 KiB) Viewed 6763 times
vw crop.jpg
vw crop.jpg (124.03 KiB) Viewed 6763 times
IMG_3822.jpg
IMG_3822.jpg (189.33 KiB) Viewed 6763 times
cropped.jpg
cropped.jpg (202.34 KiB) Viewed 6763 times
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

here's a few more

The Ford Falcon Ranchero was ungodly quick! it was lapping cars before the end of it's race.
Attachments
IMG_3895.jpg
IMG_3895.jpg (172.77 KiB) Viewed 6762 times
IMG_3883.jpg
IMG_3883.jpg (176.25 KiB) Viewed 6762 times
IMG_3866.jpg
IMG_3866.jpg (172.04 KiB) Viewed 6762 times
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Those are all of my old racing buddies. Ken Blasko in the 02 BM started off with me in driving school together, when I moved here in '09 he putting a lot of money into his car and was getting very fast.
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

a couple more of the 02

the order of the pics is reversed
he was passed by the 17 car which was super fast
Attachments
crop2.jpg
crop2.jpg (187.78 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
crop 1.jpg
crop 1.jpg (189.3 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

The Ranchero reminds me of a GT1 Falcon that was driven by Dave Machavern from Burlington, VT. who also raced a GT4 510 in the day.

Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The big iron is awesome, but that Falcon Ute rocks!

There was a seriously competitive Corvair which ran at our local track in the 80's - I have photos somewhere. There were a hand full of fire chickens as well, but my favorite was a blue Valiant which just kicked ass - both in looks and in speed.

At Seattle (PIR) a number of years ago there was a Galaxy 500 that was super-fast, the year I went down he was duking it out with a Pontiac Trans Am for the lead spot - very cool to watch – heat in mount type stuff – like over the edge all the way!

Lots of bigger iron has been built over the years, but few of those guys really sort them out. When our 510's drive around them, it's a bit disappointing in a way. I love it in an underdog sort of way, but on the other hand those guys often get discouraged and just stop coming out which is the real same.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

I think the V8 thing for a lot of "drivers" is all about overcompensating.

Kind of like the open shirt, hairy chested guy with enough gold to tire chain an 18 wheeler.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Hey all what the heck happened to Bike Papa? Did he drop off of the face of the earth?
Well I almost did, In January I suffered a massive brain hemorrhage and spent a week in intensive care under close observation. Turns out that it was a freak occurrence and fortunately I was one of the few lucky ones that did not suffer any permanent mental of physical disabilities. Needless to say everything was put on hold while I concentrated on staying alive. I was off of work for six weeks and even now I don't work more that 24-32 hrs a week. Now that I'm pretty much recovered I'm looking forward to the future which consists of two main goals. Moving to Austin TX to be closer to my two girls and their families and retireing from work. I think 39 yrs in the sheet metal industry is long enough.
That being said, are any of you Realm members from the Austin area? Yes my car is going with me. When looking for a house a three car garage was mandatory. My wife was pretty understanding as long as she got what she wanted inside of the house.

Enough of that, now I have a technical question. I'm running the stock front struts and awhile ago I got a set of Koni inserts. But they are for the shorter struts. I know that the common fix is to put spacers in the bottom of the strut to take up the space but the suspension techniques springs I'm running are a bit loose when the strut is fully extended so I was thinking if I shortened the struts to match the Konis that I would also solve the spring issue as well. So what size tap is required to extend the threads deeper into the strut after I cut off the 3/4" or so inches off the top. We have a couple of pretty good machine shops here in Las Vegas. I remember seeing some threads about this a couple of years ago where the tap size was mentioned

As always, thanks for your help
Bike Papa
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

WOW Joel, so glad you are the lucky one!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Damn Bile Papa I'm sure glad things turned out well for you with no ill effects. I had brain surgery in 2009 which rendered me deaf in my right ear with loss of some equalibriem to that side but not bad just can't play in the outfield any longer so I started playing racquetball and am now an "A" player. Us survivors unite!!! good luck in Texas its going to be great!!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon