Roadster!

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
MtnGoat

Roadster!

Post by MtnGoat »

Been on blocks too long, 8 years. It's time.

Start digging
photo (2)sm.jpg
photo (2)sm.jpg (199.48 KiB) Viewed 6781 times
it took some work, but I sorted a lot, put away a lot, and tossed a lot.
looks great, just dusty. seats are shot.
photo (3)sm.jpg
photo (3)sm.jpg (181.25 KiB) Viewed 6781 times
oh yay, grunge and a U20!
photo (1)sm.jpg
photo (1)sm.jpg (210.97 KiB) Viewed 6781 times
I guess drain and fill all that's drain and fillable
need to solve the real issue, which is shot rear brake cylinder..big $$
need new brushes for alternator, but i hear there's an L series swap
need new fan belt
need new tires
need new seat belts

like to replace the 411 rear end with a 39, it's a fake '67 2000 and I do not like the high Rs at modern freeway speeds. If anyone has a 390 in good shape and wants to swap, sounds good. I prefer a cruiser and some folks like a shorter gear back there so..
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Re: Roadster!

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Buried Treasure! How did you let such a nice looking roadster get to that point!
looking for pass. side arm rest
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

too much stuff lol
spriso

Post by spriso »

Nice 67.5 roadster! When I saw the U20 I was wondering if it was a "real" 2000 roadster!

I might have a 3.9 rear end-- I need to pull it out of the housing and see if it is a 3.7 or 3.9-- I down in Corvallis, Oregon, so not too far away.

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

Hi Mike,
did they actually come with 3.7s? My first one was a 69 and I really liked the ratio it had, at 70 I was turning under 2500 and I loved that. I haven't run the numbers but I was wondering how far down I'd need to go to get back to that on this one. I'm pretty certain it's a 4.11 since the car was a 1600 and if I recall (8 years back) I was turning about 3400 at 70 with 14" tires.

I think I"m going to put a pertronix in and ditch the points if I can figure out which one, the one on my wagon is wonderful. Also considering a WO2 gauge, another gizmo I've found indispensible for getting the carbs right, although there is was a much tougher row to hoe since no 38's ever came needled for an L20b.
spriso

Post by spriso »

Yes, the 2000 Roadsters came with a 3.7:1 ratio H190 and the 1600s had the 3.9:1 rear ratio.

Electronic ignition is probably one of the best modifications you can do to a stock roadster!

These guys do killer electronic ignition swaps for Roadsters http://eastcoastroadster.com

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

So it's possible I have a 3.9 back there as it is? I guess I'd better get out my wax marker and start counting turns. For some reason 4.11 stuck in my head. I don't actually know for a fact it's 4.11. I do know I was tired of the high R's on all the freeway driving I do out here. When I lived in Seattle it didn't matter much. In there here parts, other than in one small town or another, I'm at 60-65 min.
spriso

Post by spriso »

If that car was a SPL311, then it probably has a 3.9 in it right now.

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

crap. I guess that means I want a 3.7!
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

Put in some more time last night. Aired up the crappy old tires to see if they'd stay up, so I can at least roll it around. Rediscovered the oil filter is not the same as the L series, it looks like a Fram 2825. Picked up 5 quarts of oil but didn't get a filter, that turns out to be a good thing as I would have gotten it wrong.

Clutch master is full, brake master is empty on both. no water. alternator has an odd bracket compared to the L series ones, dreams of easy swap to internal regulator vanish. Apparently it will take some mounting mods.

I guess it's time to bite the bullet and figure out what to do about that rear wheel cylinder. I hope the other one hasn't gone south too in the meanwhile.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

You have a relatively close Roadster master by the name of Ross Mullen just across the Canadian border in British Columbia. He can help with anything you might need.

http://www.sportsimports.ca/contactus/default.htm
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

That's handy. And Rallye Roadster is even closer, near Mt Rainier.

My other choice will be what tires and how big. I have a set of classic slots (14") on the '69 in the RV shed, and the turbine style ones visible in the pics above, already on it. I haven't checked out what size tires I had (have) on the slots, but they're doubtless wider wheels than the turbines, which have 175/65s on them. Given that with two car projects going at once (and this one needing those $$ wheel cylinders in back) the narrow tires will be a lot cheaper, I'm leaning in that direction. I can always contemplate swapping the fatties on later.

I've also got Nissan comp front and rear sway bars on the '69, but I'm not sure about moving those over. I did like the go cart like handling they gave the '69, very little body roll at all...but I did not care for the need to dodge dimes laying in the road lest my teeth be shaken loose. They were great on smooth pavement...but IMO maybe less great on rough ones because it was so violent.
dcuplover

Post by dcuplover »

and don't ever by Fram oil filters, they are pure crap. Purolator are much better. Way more filtration
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

It's ALIVE!!!

Drained old fuel, refilled with fresh. Drained old oil, refilled with fresh. Topped off radiator. Pulled the plugs, put some oil in the holes, turned it over, which it did immediately and smoothly, a good sign. Replaced the sparking bolts and wires, turned the key...started in 30 sec, ran rough for a minute, smoothed out, idles fine. cleaned it up more, took it for a short spin. Brakes need work bad, so it won't be out until again till I'm done with that.

Still, 8 years is too long and I had to cruise it just a tiny bit. Forgot just how torquey that U20 is, and what something approximating actual power is like! Fun.
5882sm.jpg
5882sm.jpg (69.73 KiB) Viewed 6516 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Nice - geeze that car looks good in that photo - must have felt good to go for a drive.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.