72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

View and post your 510 project(s)
510rob

Re: 72 2 Door 510 Restoration-25 years in the making

Post by 510rob »

Rush wrote:I might paint it with a fine wrinkle finish, then just have the raised lettering polished.
I concur! That is a good look.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Black dissipates heat ten times faster then silver. (flat black is best, but wrinkle looks a lot better)
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I think I'll head into town tomorrow to pick up some wrinkle paint so I can try to finish up the engine and bag it until I'm ready to install it.

Today, I mostly cleaned up my work space and did some final details on the engine. I painted my bolt heads silver, made my plug wires, gapped and installed the plugs, gapped the points, installed the distributor and cleaned up the intake and carb & set it in place. Finally looks complete. :)

And another milestone! No, not the 12 Blue Moons I drank, but two now empty boxes that just last week had Datsun parts in them!! Yay!!
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Looking very sweet Rush, must be satisfying, eh?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Thanks! Yes, it finally feels like I've made a little progress. Now, I'll have to get back to welding. Booo! lol!
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

The girl is on fire
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Ha! Yes. I kind of have to work in bursts before I get sidelined with other summer projects. Our "minimal-risk-of-freezing-to-death-while-outside" season is so short, I have to cram a million projects into that timespan.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

I've heard of that thing they call Winter, but isn't that just on TV? All kidding aside Rush, that L looks beautiful. Great job.

May your "minimal-risk-of-freezing-to-death-while-outside season” last a few extra weeks this year.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Ron, sure winter's on TV, but it's all CGI...

Ms. Rush - points? The goodness that is Nissan EI is very affordable and available, and is such a huge improvement over points (especially in around-town driving) that even I noticed the difference after swapping over. Could not be more highly recommended.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

I didn't know there was such an animal. Where would I find it? I have no idea what I'm looking for.

I REALLY wish winter was CGI! lol! It's quite miserable for this California girl!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

DQ Volume 4 Issue 2 - Electronic Distributor Guide - Installing an electronic ignition distributor is one of the most recommended and a relatively simple modification. The benefits are clear: You get better reliability, more accurate timing and a more powerful spark that delivers easier starts, a smoother idle and virtually eliminates missing and stumbling at cruising speed.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

Great! Thanks for the information. I have some reading to do!

Here's the valve cover. I painted it with the wrinkle finish paint and I'll be polishing the lettering in a couple days when it's fully cured.

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »

This afternoon's adventure was welding the last bit of floor patch. Yay! No more welding inside the car!

I also removed the chrome trim around the windshield and rear window. It's in shockingly good condition. It had just a couple owies in it, which I massaged out with my favorite body hammer. When I got them all cleaned up and polished, I hung them up across a few long nails in the wall. I figured that would be the best place to keep them from getting destroyed. I need to figure out how to remove the glass for replacement, too. I read the installation thread, but that's not quite what I need yet.

My tail lights cleaned up nicely, too. Well one of them, anyhow. One is basically destroyed and one is near mint. I need a different left side assembly, or at least the chrome. I have lenses coming, but I need that chrome surround. Is there a source for the chrome trim?

two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

Rush
Supporter

Post by Rush »