Roadster!

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
MtnGoat

Re: Roadster!

Post by MtnGoat »

Yay, got my brake shoes today, and I figured might as well get the brace for the master cylinder as well. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

Next, tires, plates, insurance, seats
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

Getting closer...
photo (8).jpg
photo (8).jpg (296.13 KiB) Viewed 6860 times
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

Rear brakes are done. Had my usual confusion with which way to do the stackup on the sliding shims holding the wheel cylinder in place. Flat ones on the backing plate then the two interlocking ones, or the other way around? I just went with the first approach, seems OK.

Came up with a trick for dealing with that stupid square adjuster bolt. No wrench ever seems to quite stay put unless the adjuster is already loose and smooth, very very rare. This one was stuck, and once again, I was approaching rounding it off by accident with a slipping wrench, then using vice grips and ruining it for sure.

That's when it hit me...that square shank is almost exactly 1/4"...so I grabbed a 1/4" drive socket, got vice grips on it good and solid, then used the wrong side of the socket, the 1/4" drive side, to turn the bolt! Fit perfect and the bolt immediately began turning. This trick stays!

Next up, plates and insurance.
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

Oh, and where can I get a set of brushes for the alternator? I already desoldered the existing ones and added some braid to give them more travel and hence a little more life, but it won't last forever. The bearings feel fine. I think brushes are all I need...there are some around for 510's and Z's, will any of these work?
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

Had a good weekend, put 250 miles on it on some great twisty roads. Right rear axle bearing is grumbling, crap. Never done one on this rig, apparently it's got more parts than the 510 version. Parts coming...
roadsm.jpg
roadsm.jpg (170.55 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Ahh man top down cruising on a road like that! Awesome
looking for pass. side arm rest
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

Got the parts from Dean last night. Now I get to explore the funky old school dynamic of the roadster rear axle bearing and seals. I guess I'll just copy it as I see it when I put it back together, plus some grease packing. An open bearing? WTF? I didn't even know they did that. Funny that the wagon is so much more 'modern', lol. On the other hand, that freakin rope used for the rear main on the U20 should have given me a clue. As well as the A arm suspension and the rest of the ancient practices you run into on this 67 version of what looks like late 50's designs.

Plus, I'll be returning from Canby with new seats for this puppy.
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

Boy, today is really my day. First I break my cargo window in the 510, now I get a call from the machine shop that the roadster axle is shot. The bearing spun on the shaft, and that is that.

Are they symmetrical from side to side, anyone know? I think I have a left one out in the bone pile, and he's got the old right one at the machine shop.
spriso

Post by spriso »

Yes, they are symmetrical-- if you don't have any that will work, I have a few in my scrap pile too.

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

I caught a break yesterday. I get a call from the machinist, he says he went back for another look at the axle after thinking about what he was seeing,( I just left it there) and the reason the inner race was spinning was because a fracture in it allowed it to expand just enough to rotate. He finished pressing it off, cleaned up the surface, measured it, and found it was perfectly round with a 1.5-2 mil press fit sizing left. He asked me if I wanted him to go ahead and put the new stuff on, I said if it measures out OK, then heck yes.

So by early afternoon I had newly fitted out axle in hand, and last night I reinstalled it and took it for spin. Nice and quiet! Driving the car today.

So now, I have a set of axles coming via ebay, too late to cancel. Oh well. Maybe I'll sell one and keep one. I could have pulled one from one of my two donor cars, but that complicates the rollability of the two and I didn't want to go that route unless forced to.

After getting home from my 30 mile yay it's running again loop, I pulled into the shop, yanked the passenger seat, and tried the new Honda seats I picked up at Canby. Grrr...I think they're about 3/4" too wide, and maybe too tall as well. I underestimated just how tiny this car is. I think the width problem can be resolved by removing a seat mounting tab which stupidly sticks right out one side about 1.25", like a single ear on that side. Still not sure about the seat height, because I can't get it to fit into place with that stupid ear sticking out the side. But if I grind it off to check, I might have trouble selling them if I don't want them.

My other option would be a swap into the wagon, and put the four runner seats from the wagon into the Roadster. I measured them up, they're 2" shorter cushion and narrower at the bottom.
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

()*&#*(&#&*^!!!!!!!!!!

what the hell? got a rock today on the windshield, lower left. I guess I'm lucky it didn't go over the windshield and nail me in the head. A pretty big star, about 2" across. First the wagon cargo window, now this. dammit
rock hit.jpg
rock hit.jpg (105.72 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

Car has been running great, the front calipers are a bit leaky, about 1/3 of a reservoir per week. I've put a lot of miles on it and been daily driving it for over a month. Here it is this morning at Stonehenge out by Maryhill, Mt Hood in the background.
roadster at stonehenge.jpg
roadster at stonehenge.jpg (273.01 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

MtnGoat wrote:()*&#*(&#&*^!!!!!!!!!!

what the hell? got a rock today on the windshield, lower left. I guess I'm lucky it didn't go over the windshield and nail me in the head. A pretty big star, about 2" across. First the wagon cargo window, now this. dammit
rock hit.jpg
THAT FRICKIN" SUX!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100