First drive of the year

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
Byron510

Re: First drive of the year

Post by Byron510 »

Dean, I'm just wishing I could have heard your car go by at WOT.
While Keith’s car is silent serenity, your car must be a cornucopia and induction madness. There are few things sounding better than an IR strait 6 at WOT on the cam.

Next year, I'll be back in the game. Thanks for the write up and photos.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Dean's car is gorgeous, the attention to small details is what stood out for me. If you look at the fender mounts, he has used stainless steel screws with nice matching finishing washers.
While he has kept it "stock" in one sense, it is these small details that make it stand out.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Yes, I was very impressed with Dean's car and the small details as well. I'm afraid I could never be that precise. Will have to get out the Elbow grease and start polishing and waxing the engine bay now!!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Nothing wrong with your car Richard!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Thanks Keith. Well.. other than the alternator is weak. Checked it out today with a known good V/Reg. At cruise RPM and with AC and headlights on, the old 50 AMP alternator was only able to maintain 12.2 volts. So it was discharging all the way from Pemberton to Tantalus. That explains the dim tail lights and weak battery. I think it's just tired

Possibly contributed to the non start with Vapor lock issue as well. Low cranking voltage affects everything, including the fuel pump output. With a fully charge battery, engine should spin over fast enough and fuel pump should have enough pressure and volume to Purge the lines. But a partially discharged battery changes the whole picture.

Checked things out and I see that car has already had a couple of Nissan recalls for Vapor Lock, including a revised SS Heat shield with no opening between #3 and #4 cylinders and revised Phenolic injector holders.

Later cars got the hood vents ( 77 and 78 models) and then the 1979 ZX got that horrible looking hair dryer contraption. The easiest fix however, seems to be an over ride switch for the fuel pump, so that you can " Prime " the fuel rail before cranking and Purge all the fuel vapor via the return line.
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

Thanks for all the kind comments everybody.

Yes Byron, it sounds awesome at WOT.....not very fast,but sure makes impressive noises inside the cabin. I'm growing concerned I'll punch a rod out of the block revving to redline so much 8)

When I restored my car I wanted to change things I thought would make it more fun to drive. I'm not much of a originality purist although I totally get the appeal of that too. Rear discs, the Webber's, better suspension, all made It an improved package for me.

Amusing story.
Had my car apraised on Monday. The week before this guy with a red turbo 510 had his car apraised by the same guy.The appraiser knew this guy named Richard as well. Never ceases to amaze me how pathes cross in unexpected ways.

Dean
260z owner
510 wannabe
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

That would be my good friend John Carlson. He was our Automotive class Teacher at Centennial High School back in the early 70's. He must be wondering where all of these Datsuns are coming from all of a sudden LOL.

Super nice guy as I'm sure you noticed. Really knows his Vintage cars. Great credentials.
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

Richard,

I know John from his interest in vintage model motors and airplanes. Probably the best collection in North America.
What an epic car guy, quite a collection in his own stable.

When he asked me if I knew a guy named Keith, and then you...too weird....especially since we met for the first time on the Sunday Drive.

Dean
260z owner
510 wannabe
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That's funny, I remember you saying you were getting the car appraised, I never thought to ask by WHO?

I really liked John we clicked on a lot of levels. He knows a lot of my old slalom compadres.

I hope to see my appraisal next weekish.

It's good that us Datsun guys are hitting him, as that to me starts to really show the renewed interest in these cars, and the quality to which they have been taken.

Keith Law
iceD

Post by iceD »

Sockeye Run tomorrow in Steveston could use a few 510s. A certain Orange 260 Z has been winning best import the last few years.
http://www.richmondlionsclub.org/en/fun ... e-run.html

ice d
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks, Bit late. I'm on a small road trip tomorrow to Whistler, go for hike and lunch.

I'm thinking of hitting the Heritage Park car show in Mission on fathers day...Ron...anybody else?

http://www.oldcarsunday.ca/

Keith Law
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

I'm up for that Keith.
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Hey Keith, this will be one of the few shows there that I miss. I am in Brooklyn N.Y. visiting my son right now. Wow what an amazing experience. I will bring back some photos and stories for you. Have fun at the show. See you after we get back.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

WHAAAAT?

Here I thought you of all people would be going....

See yah when your back for our next drive. Have fun!

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I'm thinking if I am going to do this show is that getting there EARLY might be real smart.

At one show they had 1,300+ cars, which I can only imagine takes time to feed into the park through one entrance.

As I have a bit of a trip to get out there anyhow, I might as well go early and miss the busyness of the Lougheed highway to Mission, get there a couple of hours ahead of time.

Ron...any thoughts, you have been there.

Keith Law