IMGP0262 (Large).JPG
IMGP0262 (Large).JPG (322.46 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
IMGP0260 (Large).JPG
IMGP0260 (Large).JPG (236.87 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
IMGP0258 (Large).JPG
IMGP0258 (Large).JPG (247.53 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
IMGP0257 (Large).JPG
IMGP0257 (Large).JPG (317.78 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: First summer drive to Fort Casey, via Chuckanut drive

Post by bertvorgon »

more
Attachments
IMGP0291 (Large).JPG
IMGP0291 (Large).JPG (313.5 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
IMGP0290 (Large).JPG
IMGP0290 (Large).JPG (221.3 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
IMGP0288 (Large).JPG
IMGP0288 (Large).JPG (183.72 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
IMGP0284 (Large).JPG
IMGP0284 (Large).JPG (247.88 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
IMGP0240 (Large).JPG
IMGP0240 (Large).JPG (246.43 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
IMGP0228 (Large).JPG
IMGP0228 (Large).JPG (106.23 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
IMGP0216 (Large).JPG
IMGP0216 (Large).JPG (335.41 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
IMGP0215 (Large).JPG
IMGP0215 (Large).JPG (266.71 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
IMGP0203 (Large).JPG
IMGP0203 (Large).JPG (391.52 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
IMGP0199 (Large).JPG
IMGP0199 (Large).JPG (243.79 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

more
Attachments
IMGP0292 (Large).JPG
IMGP0292 (Large).JPG (275.6 KiB) Viewed 3937 times
IMGP0221 (Large).JPG
IMGP0221 (Large).JPG (194.89 KiB) Viewed 3937 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

My final stats show I did 260 miles ( 419 Km ) door to door. 5 hours was moving time, with a moving average of 74 KMH, a little higher than most trips.

That was a nice trip as we got a great drive and explore in and I was back home by 3:00. Hell, I got few levels of BIOSHOCK 2 played before dinner.
I did have one funny issue when I went to start my car, not sure if my newly rebuilt starter motor maybe has something lurking there. It started, but it was just like the solenoid did not get full juice for a second.

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

That was more fun than I have had in my car in while. After following you through the twisties I think I may need a different steering wheel for these drives. The limiting factor for getting my car to change direction is my grip on the wheel. My nice polished wood wheel looks and feels great but a little bit of sweat on my hands and I need to have the grip of death on it to keep my hands from sliding. Not the best in hot weather.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yup, it's drives like this that point out what is really needed. You car works well and with the extreme grip you have, it all comes back through the steering wheel, and then of course your position in the seat.

When I took Mr. Subarau on the outside of the round about, it was all about the big toss in, and then being able to hold that line through the exit.

Keith Law
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Wow... great pictures and great times. Pity as the Z is running so sweet and strong right now. Not that it was bad before, but now it just seems to be smoother. I think the extra voltage is helping the antiquated ignition system. Those old Trignition boxes weren't that powerful.

Was really wasted on Sunday so it was a good call in that respect. No way could I have made the drive. Oh well... live and learn. See you all this Sunday in North Van.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Indeed I have to agree Keith. I was wishing I was behind you instead of him, he would have been passed by 2 Datsuns instead of 1.
I'm very happy with my seat position in relation to the pedals and shifter. This drive did point out I'm not super happy with the steering wheel or my distance from it. It's too slippery for spirited driving and I am a bit too far from it. A suede wheel with more of a dish is in order I think. Another couple of things that the drive drought up are that I am very happy with the setup of the suspension. The front end grip is outstanding, the first few corners I was braking on the way in but after watching you and having the car do exactly what I wanted it to I was able to easily follow your lead and be confident that the car was going to go where I wanted it to. The drive on the no.1 pointed out that I really do need an oil cooler. At 100kph in that heat it was at 219. Even the slightest hill and I would have to ease up or it was climbing beyond where it should be.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Here's a good discussion at SpeedTalk.com ( one of the more intelligent sites ) regarding oil temps. At 219 F with synthetic you're not pushing the oil at all. That's actually getting in an ideal range for oil temps. Once you start getting to 240 to 250 f in the pan you should start to be concerned..... IMHO

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22870
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

That is interesting. Andy told me 220 max so that is what I have stuck to. I will have to ask him about it again. I don't know enough to make a call like that and the last thing I want is to blow up a very expensive motor because I didn't listen to the person who built it. My temp sensor is in the oil filter housing right after it comes out of the engine so my pan temp should be a bit lower.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

sounds like you guys had a awesome run wish I had something other than 6inches on the road.

hey norm I have a variety of steering wheels with different diameters and dish for you to try..... may help in finding the right wheel.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Thanks Robyn, I'm going camping this weekend so maybe I will stop by sometime next week and check a few out if that's okay with you.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Wow it's warm out here today, just got back from walk down to beach and then to the rail bridge at Semiahmoo.

That is the beauty of our cars with this spring setup, is that we can go in real deep ( non-combat ), when we have this sort of stick and KNOW the cornering limit, without hitting the brakes, then just toss it in and carry major speed through a corner. I love taking guys in their BMW's, Lexus, you name it... IN.... and then never touch the brakes. 99% of drivers drive to your brake lights, so they are about to find out that they are entering a corner FASTER than they ever have....then it gets real exciting for them.

Your car does work really well Norm, as I saw in the two right angle hair pins we did.

You would have eaten that Subaru no doubt, I have raced them before and they are a really heavy car.

Keith Law
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

funwithmonkeys wrote:That is interesting. Andy told me 220 max so that is what I have stuck to. I will have to ask him about it again. I don't know enough to make a call like that and the last thing I want is to blow up a very expensive motor because I didn't listen to the person who built it. My temp sensor is in the oil filter housing right after it comes out of the engine so my pan temp should be a bit lower.

Andy would know best... but that seems a bit on the conservative side considering that you are measuring oil right after it comes off the bearings. What oil and weight are you using? Just curious. Might be bets to take this to the engine forum so I don't derail the thread..
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

I didn't stand a chance trying to stick with you guys on some of those corners. You both looked like slot cars on turn in.
As soon as I tried to dive in little faster I got so much push it wasn't worth the fight.Tapping the brakes to get some weight transfer didn't seem to make that much difference.

Those round abouts on the way to Lyndon were great.....couldn't wipe the smirk off my face. When I saw you pull right and turn in on that Subaru I couldn't stop giggling.

Think my all season Falcon hockey puck tires have anything to do that Mr Vorgen?
There is no way it's my lack of driving skill....because I'm awesome :roll: :mrgreen:
260z owner
510 wannabe