Anodizing

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
okayfine
Supporter

Anodizing

Post by okayfine »

A while back I wanted to get some vinyl stickers made, so I posted here to see if any Dimers were doing work like that. And it turns out there was. So, anyone doing anodizing? I have something I would like to anodize, however its size (biggest piece is 9"x3"x9") makes it a bit impractical for me to try the DIY methods, nevermind I don't really want that much sulfuric acid hanging around in an open tub.

There's a local place that does it for industry, but their minimum charge is too high for my project. I'm not even that particular on color, within a range.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
OUTthere

Re: Anodizing

Post by OUTthere »

If your traditional paths turn up to be fruitless in your search for things to be anodized. Might try your local gunsmith/gunshop, especially the ones that work on the AR variants. If you call just say your looking for "gun candy" for a Colt AR.

Think there is even a company called gun candy if I remember correctly. Not sure about the AR stuff though, I'm old school and stick to blueing.

Just a thought.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Go to a local anodizing shop and ask to speak with the supervisor and ask him/her if they do beer jobs and what kind of beer they like and show them the parts you want done...
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

There are plenty of those shops in downtown LA or probably Sun Valley too.
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

nowadays..peoples thirst for cash is greater than the beer :cry:
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

defdes wrote:downtown LA or probably Sun Valley too.
I'm afraid those kinds of places will lose my parts. I had plastic 510 bits go to get chromed in LA and only got about half of my parts back.

If ano doesn't pan out, what are other coloring options for aluminum aside from paint and powdercoat? I'm looking for something with little buildup that will put up with some abrasion/impact.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
OUTthere

Post by OUTthere »

The AR rifle guys coat their toys with:
Cerakote
nickel boron
melonite (nitride)
ionbond
moly resin (applied with a airbrush)

The rifle builders are going to be the ones with ovens or know who can finish a customers boom stick. But then again there are crazy products (finishes like SWAIN coatings) that I heard can buy you a engine compression point. Can my L2.4 really run 9.5:1 with a turbo if I have everything coated by Swain?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Thank you! I have friends with ARs, so they should be able to give me a local recommendation.
BrianE
Supporter

Post by BrianE »

J - Bicycle restoration shops can be excellent sources for small to medium sized component anodizing. Jim and Susan Cunningham @ CyclArt (760) 599-1015) in Vista CA and Joe Bell Bicycle Refinishing (619) 469-4312) in Spring Valley CA may be viable option(s)...., B
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Brian, thank you. I did not know these kinds of shops existed. We have bike shops local, but they're just sales and service, and I do my own service. I will check in with them.