Back to my roots

View and post your 510 project(s)
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: Back to my roots

Post by Three B's Racing »

Very nice job Jim. You and I and I'm sure a few others painted our 510s exactly the same way with doors, hood, T-lid, fenders and 1/4 windows and windows out. Sure makes it easier and that red is an eye catcher,,,why hello officer!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Nice job Jim,you should be proud of your work!
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Can't wait to see this complete and back on the ground! Very very nice work.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Awesome, inspiring, wonderful job! Please keep up the updates for us, the progress photos are great.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

I should add - I LOVE the box flares you've done!
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Being unfamiliar with this process, does the foam remain in the body after forming the flares (front and rear both unless different), or do you remove it?

Not clear to me from the pictures, but looks like the front fender on the stand has foam still in it.

Thanks.

Nice work by the way.
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Awesome work, truly! I especially like your elegant solution to your fuel filler conundrum. Looks classic
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Sure feels good to get to this stage, except that the color is way way brighter than I expected it to be! It's not changing anytime soon so I better accept it.

In the sun the dang thing glows like a cherry on fire but out of direct sun the red is darker, more like what I wanted. Same paint in the engine bay but maybe the contours disguise the brightness. Had I realized this I'd have toned it down with a darker red.

Iceman, the foam plugs are still inside all four fenders and it will come out in the next couple days, which is easy since the plugs were sprayed with mold release. I removed a good portion of foam from the left rear while fitting the muffler to make the tail pipe clearance. The foam easily chunks out and the bondo shell remains, slide a putty knife between the bondo and the fibreglass fender and the bondo cracks in pieces and hits the floor.

Assembly has started and I'll load a couple pictures tonight. Also I'm ordering a bunch of rubber door gaskets and window seals and such from Datsport but I've been delayed a couple weeks since datsport is just about to receive final production of some custom low profile trimless window gaskets.

I've been tossing around keeping the stainless window trim vs deleting it. Upon ordering from datsport Baz described this custom trim he's having produced, more narrow and lower profile. Sound interesting but I'm not sure if I can wait for his inventory to arrive. Days are clicking by and my patience is running thin to get my right foot into the throttle!
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Thanks for that. How do you handle the resultant gap between new outer and original fender (and front vs. rear if different)? Perhaps you will never drive in inclement weather, but I picture road debris wanting to get into hard to clean places especially on the rear.

I have just the bubble flares on my car, and an excellent job was done by the original body guy to fill the gap. I imagine it to be much more difficult with the wider gap.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

I let the 510 sit for a couple days before taking it out of the paint shop then drove it back to my own shop which is down the street. sure is a different feeling seeing it with colour on it.

Started to install doors, fenders, hood, trunk lid. Hardware was all bagged and labeled or so I thought.... PITA. Lots of german hardware sitting around to choose from. Blacked out the intercooler.

I finalized my order with Datsport for new door rubbers, window gaskets, bead for the pinch welds around the door and quarter window openings since all mine were covered with spray paint. Numerous other rubber bits also but then realized I missed a few things which I had on another list. My project isn't a restoration so I'm not worried about using some of the old trim, it just needs cleaning.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It's funny how the paint makes your flares look wider than in the flat grey primer. Looks great Jim.

What are you doing for a front bumper, are you going to cut down a stock one or not ur one at all?

Looks great.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Exactly Byron, also the pictures take away from the classic 510 appearance whereas in person your eyes don't seem as drawn to the lower portion and flares as much as the roof and hood. I'm still somewhat disappointed at how bright the red turned out but my shop partner has suggested that as the car gets completed with all the glass and trim installed it will tone the red down. Whatever the case, I wanted a hot rod of sorts, and that's what I got. So far comments from people who stop by all say something to the effect of how aggressive it looks. If I was getting silence I'd be worried!

Off with the wife for a few nights to Invermere valley area and hopefully when I get back my parts from Datsport will be here.

edit: Byron, no bumpers planned. The rear bumper mounts are completely in tact and a bumper could easily be mounted with subtle widening at the left and right bumper corners the fitment would look good, not altered. The front however was the deal breaker, I looked at variations of trimming, adding cut-outs similar to other box flares etc, no go. Same went for corner marker lights, would fit on the rear OK but the curved contour on the front fenders simply won't work to accommodate marker lights. I've got some decent bumper cores which I'm going to hold onto incase I want to go ahead in the future. One thing for certain is they would bring back some of the classic 510 appearance.
Last edited by 2DoorJim on 16 Aug 2015 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Byron510 wrote:It's funny how the paint makes your flares look wider than in the flat grey primer. Looks great Jim.
And how it mutes the arch in the flares. Ditto the "looks great!"
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

2DoorJim wrote:... my shop partner has suggested that as the car gets completed with all the glass and trim installed it will tone the red down.
This is exactly what will happen.

On the very first 510 2rd I had painted, I resprayed the car in it's original '73 Grabber Green. It looked scary yellow green out of the pain shop. I was sure I'd made a mistake when I got the car back - I was certain the colour was wrong. So much so that I actually blacked out the front door frame, quarter windows and rood stainless black - 80's style. But once I bolted on all the chrome, lights, grill ect, the car looked good and in retrospect I realized I over reacted and I'm sure the car would have looked fine without the 80's blacked out treatment.

The car looks great, and it's one of a kind which is cool. Hats off to all the effort.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Christmas in August!

Box of rubber seals from Datsport arrived. These guys are totally cool but on the phone I can hardly tell a thing they say, I'm really bad with accents. I hit about dozen of the 15 things I wanted, started a second list and forgot to add it to my first list. Have to improvise for a few things.

Several weeks back Baz told me of some new front and rear trimless window gaskets he was having made, they were going to be thinner and lower profile. Unfortunately the seals weren't ready and I'm anxious to get the car on the road before winter so I had to settle for the conventional trimless gaskets. Got the rear glass installed today and the gasket certainly does appear "chunky" without the stainless trim strip, I might just split some cash for the new gaskets when they become available.

The first gaskets I installed were on the quarter windows. The gaskets friction fit and appear to be captivated well enough that adhesive wasn't needed. In fact to get the gaskets to seat correctly I ended up using silicone, didn't want to, but it seemed to work better than soap. I'm going to avoid using silicone elsewhere in case any repainting occurs - fisheye issue.

Used to be able to buy this stuff at GM dealers about.....30 years ago. The bottle IS that old!

Here is where I left off today, headliner converted to black, rear window installed, right quarter window installed, parcel shelf covered in fabric, tail lights cleaned/sealed and new gaskets installed. Next is assembly of the right door, gasket, felt, inner and outer squeegees, handle/lock/glass etc then onto the left side. I've yet to install the factory emblems on the rear. The 510 is still where I work and I only get limited time to work on it. Might have to skip out on work Thursday and Friday so I can have it going for the weekend.