Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: Back to my roots

Post by Three B's Racing »

2DoorJim wrote:Christmas in August!

Several weeks back Baz told me of some new front and rear trimless window gaskets he was having made, they were going to be thinner and lower profile. Unfortunately the seals weren't ready and I'm anxious to get the car on the road before winter so I had to settle for the conventional trimless gaskets. Got the rear glass installed today and the gasket certainly does appear "chunky" without the stainless trim strip, I might just split some cash for the new gaskets when they become available.

The first gaskets I installed were on the quarter windows. The gaskets friction fit and appear to be captivated well enough that adhesive wasn't needed. In fact to get the gaskets to seat correctly I ended up using silicone, didn't want to, but it seemed to work better than soap. I'm going to avoid using silicone elsewhere in case any repainting occurs - fisheye issue.
I used glycerin because it's water soluble and washes out easily. If I may suggest one thing,,,the door weather seals. I'd removed the doors to install because it's much easier not to say you can't do it with doors installed, it's just that once you touch the rubber to the 3M Weather Seal adhesive there's no pulling back to readjust if done as instructions say. When I did mine instructions said to skim coat both surfaces, let dry then skim coat again and attach. I did a few practice runs with old seals and damn if they were right!! Once it touched I tried pulling it back off and it just messed up the seal. So be careful and enjoy the work, that's one sweet ride you have.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

1:30 AM Finally drove it just so I could say I did!

Needs a number of finishing details looked after such as grill, eyebrows, emblems, etc but mechanically it's ready to go. Quick rip at 1:30 am but I think the plugs are carbon fouled. During the last few months it's been started a number of times to move it around, idle seemed more crotchety each time and it was positively bad last night. EFI still needs some tuning as it smells fat. Will pick up new plugs this aft then take it for another spin and see if I can drive it home for the weekend. Probably won't get anything accomplished over the weekend because high command advised of house painting to be done before Rocket Dog gets more attention.

Last few days included getting carpet made and installed though the front mats have to be done again as the guy made them too short. Finished installing door gaskets, adjusting doors, latches, door glass, felts, belt seals, seat belts, seats, build exhaust hangars, put fire sleeve on wastegate hose, build and plumb the exhaust bypass.

Back in 1986 I built a turbo 510 with small muffler and a butterfly bypass which was pressure activated with boost, it worked well, quiet off boost and didn't rob power like the small muffler did. I did the same for this car except that my 2" OEM style muffler is still loud, perhaps a result of the SR20 motor??? For the exhaust bypass I used a spare throttlebody I had laying around, paired it down, built a lever arm and adapted a T3 wasegate actuator to it.

I think all the fab work is done now and I can focus on finishing trim and efi tuning.

gooned

Post by gooned »

Neat bypass idea! Looks great too, almost had a box flared 1602 back in early 90's
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Jim, any concerns about noise/reverb with the bypass terminating under the car? My KA510 had a full exhaust, but an 8" long tube pressed into the muffler outlet to get the exhaust to exit flush with the bumper. This fell off one time and the car got suddenly loud. The tube didn't have any muffling capabilities, it just extended the exit past the body.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

With my driving style I'd be more worried about setting the car on fire with all the gasses terminating at the spare tire well :D

Neat idea Jim. You'd almost need to set a delay on the thing so that it wouldn't close I between quick shifts in driver full kill mode!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Hi guys, I drove the 510 home yesterday, white knuckle the whole way but everything worked fine and a buddy followed me for back up.

Today I installed the rear view mirror, sun visors and looked after few other snags then my friend came back (he was ordered out due to a wedding shower!) so we took "Rocket Dog" for a spin to do some efi tuning though first stop was the gas station near my house, aaaaaaand..... some dude pulls up behind me gets out and politely asks if he can take pictures. He took pictures from every angle! told me it was cool. I asked if he knew what it was (he appeared about the same age as me - V decades) he said 510 and he used to have one. My friend in the car was laughing and trying to snag a picture of the dude taking pictures of us. Couple minutes later while driving I noticed a few heads turned and looking, or should I say staring! After all the work I'm feeling like a deserved attention whore, kind of fun. I suspect most of you guys encounter similar responses but this is new to me. Around here people drive SUVs and calgary cadilacs, occasionally you might see some old american iron and tuner cars, but never an old japanese car, they just never survived here.

Must say that I also enjoy being able to share with you folks but at the same time I enjoy your projects too, even though my posts seem infrequent. Lurking in the background a few times a day reading about paint jobs, panel replacements, V6 swaps, garage builds and such.

Regarding the exhaust bypass I did think about adding a tail pipe though there isn't much meat on the end of the throttle body, but I suppose I could anchor the tail pipe to the side of the muffler and curve the tip down as it nears the valance. 25 or so years ago when I did something similar I never had any issue with heat or fumes getting into the car so I suspect it will be alright. The TB is pointed downward more than it appears so likely it will be fine. Regarding noise Julian, it will only open above 8 psi. Up to this boost level the small muffler won't erode much power (based on some previous seat of the pants test) and I won't spend much time above 8 psi like Byron would! so a bit of noise will more than likely be welcome, unless it just sounds gross then I'll do a rework.

3 psi of boost isn't cutting it. Will install this tomorrow.

20 minutes into my tuning run I wound it up and something made a ruckus under the car, didn't sound very good. We pulled over popped the hood and the air cleaner was missing. Headed home and retuned in my buddies car and found the filter element, screen, and thumb screw all sitting on the road! I'm sure this thing was tight because I just rebuilt the air cleaner assembly a couple days ago because it was rubbing the hood, I remember tightening the thumb screw. Lock wire a must now.

Henninger Toyota licence plate frame. I really need to find a blank frame or paint this one.

Guide coat overspray got on rear tires, still need to clean it off. Actually lots of cleaning needs to be done.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Byron510 wrote:Damn, that thing is looking mean Jim.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510rob

Post by 510rob »

2DoorJim wrote:3 psi of boost isn't cutting it. Will install this tomorrow.
that's where the boost addiction always starts...
okayfine wrote:
Byron510 wrote:Damn, that thing is looking mean Jim.
+1
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Jim...at least on the coast right now.....

Looks really good! That is the same boost controller I use. I have found, if you have not used one before, that I have to get out somewhere SAFE, get the car to full throttle, as I wind the controller to set boost. It sometimes need a few revolutions to get a substantive change.

After I put new waste gate on, which I think you and I talked about, I had to un-wind mine to get the boost back to 16. But, I did like the feel of the car at 17..heh..heh...so I am going to sneak back up on the that and see how things look.

I mounted mine right near my seat, and just promised myself I would NOT be tempted to fiddle with it, as the engine has done quite well at 16 all these years.
Attachments
dash & shifter layout.JPG
dash & shifter layout.JPG (147.02 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Keith whenever I see that shot I laugh, somewhere you were called Mr Gadget... I suspect you are the only person who can make sense of the Turbo Encabulator video!

"dial-a-death" is under my dash, not convenient to lean forward, but then I'm not planning to adjust much. It would be my preference to have it in the engine bay, or better yet install a heavier spring in the wastegate, but the wastegate is not convenient nor do I have any idea how much boost this motor will accommodate on pump fuel so remote adjustability is preferred. The donor car where the motor came from had an electronic boost controller along with an Aussie brand of efi. Of course I converted to SDS but for the remainder of boost control I'm old school and like you I want a simple regulator and nothing more. Tuning is safeguarded because I can set parameters in the ecu, only takes a minute, then creep up with the regulator and not worry about over boosting it. Also has knock feedback and knock retard yet to be set up.

Eventually I'd like to pick your brain on your water methanol injection. This motor is 9.2:1 which is higher than a stock DET. I discovered this detail AFTER I bought it.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yah, the BCMC guys called me that, as I slowly added the "gadgets" to see what was going on, specially when the hillclimb years started.

Once I had the air pressure gauge in, I could see why the car was falling flat at the top of the straight at Knox, let alone on the Cannonball there. It just went on from there.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
SpudWhitman
Supporter

Post by SpudWhitman »

It was such a pleasant surprise to see you out on Sunday. I was soaking your car in from my vantage point at the bank branch across from the gas station. Looked and sounded great. Had a filament out on one of your brake light bulbs?
Snoop Dogg knows a fine Dime when he sees one.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Hi Spud, feel free to visit if you see me around, I live 5 min from your stalking point.

Suddenly feels like a small world here in Cowtown, that was only my second venture out in the car. Perhaps it's the glowing color drawing attention...

Thought I got that brake light fixed, I'll have to look at it again to see what's up. '
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Snowy day here in Calgary so I thought I'd throw up some pictures from 2016.

Recap, I built this 510 over 2014 and 2015 and got a couple months of driving in before shutting down at the end of 2015.

Going into storage LAST winter on the first snow
IMG_2852.jpg
IMG_2852.jpg (170.03 KiB) Viewed 3745 times

Over winter I sourced a good replacement engine to change out the race car donor engine which ended up being 9.2:1 cr, too bad because it was built by Rebelo. I contacted them to see if they had any details about it and when they identified which motor it was their response was, "oh ya, that was an odd one. 9.2:1 - you're leaving 100 hp on the table". Great I thought, this explains detonation at 9psi on pump gas, and what felt like 200hp at best. The guy who spec'd the motor intended for it to be on race gas for autocross and wanted good midrange, not a screamer. It also had loose fit pistons for track work, rattle like a diesel truck until you romp on it then they'd quiet down. It was actually embarassing when sitting at stop lights. To bad because it's got good parts inside and a fresh head.

I have a connection in Edmonton who got me the replacement motor out of a S14 240 which was being upgraded with an RB25. It was a known motor with good leak down numbers. I had been shopping locally and as I expected all I found was motors which had been through the hands of boost jockeys with in-car dial-a-death.
IMG_3184.jpg
IMG_3184.jpg (59.05 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
During winter I prepped the wheels to paint the centers and inner barrels. I wanted BBS gold to replace the dark grey centers and I found out that BBS gold was actually the same code as used on some wheels issued to subaru WRX STI. Ends up the gold wasn't what I wanted, finally figured out that the gold used on BBS street wheels is different than what they used on their Motorsports wheels which is what I was after. I'm not picky enough to care about changing the colour now. Anyhow I figured the gold centers would stand out against the red body, and likely fit into the 1980s theme which I was after.
IMG_4041.jpg
IMG_4041.jpg (68.14 KiB) Viewed 3745 times
Polished the barrels again and cleaned all the primer and crap off the tire sidewalls.
IMG_4055.jpg
IMG_4055.jpg (149.01 KiB) Viewed 3745 times

This spring my 510 was still in storage when my friend from Edmonton sends a text one Friday morning asking "are you still coming to the car show" huh, what car show? "The show we're coming down for, you were going to bring your 510???". Well, I don't do car shows though occasionally I'll wander around and look at hardware. I guess during a previous discussion he suggested I enter my 510 in this show and he even bought a spot for me.

The rush was on, it was 11:00 AM Friday morning and I pulled the 510 out of storage and drove it home proceeding to wash the bugs off from last fall then wet sand a couple small runs in my amateur paint job. Got it close to done and headed out at 5 to meet the guys coming from Edmonton.

I'm wedged in the back of the booth in front of the black backdrop.
IMG_4582.jpg
IMG_4582.jpg (237.34 KiB) Viewed 3745 times

It made for an interesting Saturday as there was only a small handful of 70s cars at the show, most were modern rice burners but there were a few from Germany, Italy, and some hand built units too. I have to say that contrary to thinking that custom fabrication was becoming a lost art I can attest to the fact that skills are alive and well. Much custom work throughout the show but lots of bling too, it's all good in my eyes however, time and trends change.

I didn't take an award but I also didn't enter any specific category, though the judges categorized my car and had a good look over it. Oddly they returned a second time and I was told they were there for about ten minutes looking it over again. A young guy in our booth with a super clean custom S14 240SX was choked because the judges barely spent a couple minutes on his car, yet they returned to look at mine a second time!

There was far more interest in my car than I anticipated and lots of pictures taken. They were either taking pictures to show their friends how some guy screwed up a 510, or wondering who the heck would paint a car 1980s red.
IMG_4586.jpg
IMG_4586.jpg (133.72 KiB) Viewed 3745 times

continued...