My Coupe Project, back to the future.....

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
goichi1
Supporter

Re: My Coupe Project, back to the future.....

Post by goichi1 »

well, what a night......can't type so just look at the pics.......
Attachments
IMG_8173.JPG
IMG_8173.JPG (211.91 KiB) Viewed 5058 times
IMG_8180.JPG
IMG_8180.JPG (209.7 KiB) Viewed 5058 times
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

hope it stays put till tomorrow so i can get the sheathing on.....it's solid, all the weight is off the lift now and resting on the top plate.
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

This is awesome Rich...congratulations
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

They should hire you to raise the Titanic 8>) Nice job!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The photo looks even better because you have power to the lights as it goes up - great pictures Rich - good job and glad to see it all worked out for you. So if the first photo day break or dusk when you started the job? :D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

So, are you going to use the sheathing to span that joint between the top and bottom wall? It would seem like it could move at that joint.

Man what a cool thing you have done Rich, very cool! That room must feel as little different eh? How about some inside shots?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
James

Post by James »

That knee joint is what I worry about as well.
Finished is better than perfect......
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

yes, I'll sheath it. THe only knee joint in on the front wall, it had the top plate resting on the full span header for the garage door and man door. THe header is the entire length of the front wall. so I built off that for the front wall, basically just framing it like a normal wall. I used blocking between each stud on the top and bottom for that wall. I didn't get to it today but hopefully it will be fine till tomorrow.

The rest of the walls I used full length studs sistered to the existing cut studs. so they go from the top plate to the sill plate. This eliminates any knee wall action. It's a lot of work but I think it will be worth it. I got plywood today to sheath it, not going to use OSB. then I'll have to decide what type siding I'll use....probably going to cover the entire building with Hardy lap siding. Then next year side the house too.

I'll also go back and frame the cripple and king studs for all the windows.
Attachments
IMG_8178.JPG
IMG_8178.JPG (284.98 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
IMG_8176.JPG
IMG_8176.JPG (321.32 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Very well thought out imho Rich. One way to look at this is the hoist has probably paid for itself already vs. a conventional rip the shingles and roof off and build up from there. I would have zero qualms about the way this is done.Congrats on some successful (very) outside the box thinking!
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

That is a great solution Rich! That is one stout building. I think Henk is right, that hoist is almost a freebie.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Thank you all....I am not going to lie....it was scary as hell watching that thing go up to 4 feet. I know it don't sound like that much but it's a little less that half the original wall height! Once up me and a friend installed the vertical braces and I felt much better but still tried to hurry to get most of the studs in. Started going up on the lift at about 7 pm and got it to this point by midnight. I think that's pretty good and feeling pretty relieved that it's up without incident.
James

Post by James »

Glad you ran the full length studs, I like your projects - always going for it!
I envy your shop space!
Finished is better than perfect......
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Super cool, the ceiling that I want to raise in my shop is easy compared to this.
Midnight? Your neighbors must hate you!
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

well, I live on about 2 acres, and only have two close neighbors, one is 90 and can't hear anyway and the other is too far to bother them I think.

Tonight I tried to hang a piece of plywood by myself, that's not happening, I got it up there but its too high and the sheet it too big to handle on my own......got a friend coming over tomorrow to help me get the sheathing on. it's supposed to rain tomorrow but hopefully if won't be windy.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

A trick I just leaned for sheeting, hammer a couple of nails in near where the bottom of the sheet needs to be. You can place it, reposition yourself, pull the sheet into place and hit it with the nail gun... presuming you are using one. If not, then yes it's best to get a hand.

Awesome job Rich. Ditto on the full length studs to support the weight between the upper and lower plates. So did you get a few creaks and tweaks of the roof structure as it started to move? Just curious as I moved my 16X25 shed rearwards in my yard, it was definitely protesting as I drug it along! In this case I wasn’t concerned, it's only there to keep the nails and hammers dry until I get the real shed build, then the little shed is 'Outta here!!'.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.