Need some Machining/Welding help

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
Chickenman

Need some Machining/Welding help

Post by Chickenman »

Anyone in the Tri-Cities or Burnaby area that can help out with some Minor Tig/Mig welding on some headers? And some machining on some struts? I need to have the spring seats removed for coil overs. Or any shop recommendations that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I'm in Coquitlam. Willing to trade for Carb and EFI tuning or whatever. Cash works too..
Byron510

Re: Need some Machining/Welding help

Post by Byron510 »

Richard, I'd be more than happy to help you out... when my shop gets built!

Realistically, I'm 6 months out before getting power to the machines. If it happens sooner, there's no doubt I'll post it here in the Realm. I haven’t names my shed Datsun Central for nothing :-)

Hope you find some more immediate assistance, timing just isn’t good for me at the moment.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Thanks Byron.. Some winter projects coming up.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Spring seats can be removed with a hacksaw. Cut at the weld bead, then stop when you see rust in the cut (that means you've cut through the seat weld, but the seat fits over the strut tube, so there's a tiny gap that gets rusty over time). Take 20 minutes the first time, 10 minutes for the second strut.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Zip wheel on an angle grinder makes quicker work of the perches but you need to be more careful!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

I was thinking more along the lines of 2 minutes in a medium size lathe. I " may " shorten the tubes and re-thread them as well. Easy to do with the proper equipment. Depends on how much strut travel I have with the new Camber plates.

Just got my PayPal invoice for parts with USD to CDN exchange rate. Holy crappolla did the CDN dollar take a dive!! No travel to USA for this boy in the near future....
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

What exchange rate did you get hit with? My SELL exchange rate on Friday was 1.3345, and we have very favorable rates for what we do.

I have been wondering what most major credit cards are charging. I'm going down to Mt. Baker on Sunday, but I have U.S. money left from Hawaii so I will not see any rates as food and gas will be cash.

I bet credit cards have to be 1.35 -36. We are going to be in this zone for quite some time, glad I got my tires when I did, let alone my trip to Maui.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Ash510

Post by Ash510 »

Hi Richard, my name is Aron I have a small home based machine shop in Surrey, I can do all the things
that you are in need of. I have been a machinist for the last 23 years, and have just started my
own shop a couple of years ago.

If you want to talk about your jobs just give me a call 604-992-6205

Aron
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Will do. Thanks Aron. Waiting on parts to arrive.