Subaru STi R180 Option from FutoFab

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Re: Subaru STi R180 Option from FutoFab

Post by Dave Patten »

CLSD or Torsen are the stub axles.
Sorry, must have been in a fog when I typed that.

Yes, we sell only one stub axle, they are both the same length and they fit both CLSD or Torsen diffs.

I think your confusion may be that the R160 VLSD requires a longer spline on one stub axle, not the case for the R180 CLSD or Torsen.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.
akara

Post by akara »

Dave Patten wrote:
CLSD or Torsen are the stub axles.
Sorry, must have been in a fog when I typed that.

Yes, we sell only one stub axle, they are both the same length and they fit both CLSD or Torsen diffs.

I think your confusion may be that the R160 VLSD requires a longer spline on one stub axle, not the case for the R180 CLSD or Torsen.
Just to add my experience.
I have the Torsen diff in my 510 from an 09 STI, it does an excellent job of putting power down to both wheels equally which makes my car dig great off the line, I have noticed the behavior of the Torsen can be quite scary under power through a turn, because it likes to bust both wheels loose at the exact same moment, without any warning! The Clutch type LSD gives you a bit more warning and is easier to tame and offers some adjustments, but not as quick to react. My car makes 380whp and is mostly used in a straight line on freeway onramps so the Torsen was a good fit for my car.

By the way, any R160 VLSD from a Subaru MY2000 or newer will have an updated style VLSD that 510 stubs will bolt right in as long as you swap the buttons over into the side gears from the old Datsun R160. These VLSD can be found standard in any 2000+ Outback with cold weather package in 4.4 ratio in the automatic and 4.1 in the manual. only $50 at the salvage yard.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

akara wrote:By the way, any R160 VLSD from a Subaru MY2000 or newer will have an updated style VLSD that 510 stubs will bolt right in as long as you swap the buttons over into the side gears from the old Datsun R160. These VLSD can be found standard in any 2000+ Outback with cold weather package in 4.4 ratio in the automatic and 4.1 in the manual. only $50 at the salvage yard.
Hi, I pulled this quote from you on a 2015 R180 thread. I'm looking for a bit more clarification, what did you mean by 'buttons'? The little side axles that slide into the diff itself?

Thanks
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com