Scotty's 13bpp '71

View and post your 510 project(s)
defdes
Supporter

Re: Scotty's 13bpp '71

Post by defdes »

Great build.
I am interested in your platen/work table, what is it?
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

@duke 15x9. 11lbs and yes the car is at ride height. Its a track day car only, never see the street.

@510wizard. Yeah I was inspired from your build, good stuff!

The miatas suspension geometry/dimensions is a very common swap for the locost community cars, its a great design, well engineered and just plain works.

Scott.
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

@defdes, its a build pro table. I love it, its made set ups easy with the right holding tools.

Scott.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Track Junky wrote:@defdes, its a build pro table. I love it, its made set ups easy with the right holding tools.

Scott.
Geez - I just went onto that Build-Pro site and watched a few You Tube set ups. Admittedly, that's an awesome table jigging set up. Big investment, but a well-engineered system.

Add that to my want list!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Random weld shot of the rear IRS cradle, 60 welds in ranging from 1-1/2" to 2" long beads. Im welded out bleh!!!

Scott.

RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Those are some nice looking welds! Good work.
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Knocked out the rear sub assembly and the lower control arms yesterday. I added some gussets to the lower front diff attachment point that's not in these pics and rounded off those corners as well.. I left the main runners on the cradle long so when it's time install this thing I will have enough material to work with, easy to remove material not add right? Next weekend I hope to have the uppers made, and throw some temp mock up shocks (tubing) on and have a test fit. I had to throw a light coat of primer on, the humidity around here just loves to flash rust my stuff. I hate digging rust out of welds!

Scott.

73greyrotary510

Post by 73greyrotary510 »

Potential to be one of the best 510 suspension solutions I've ever seen. Been waiting for someone to do double wishbones front and rear properly. Update please!
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Glad you like it but keep in mind Im not using any of the stock pick up points, inner sheet metal etc....most wouldnt even consider this a "Datsun" anymore, more like a silhouette of one. The rear is done, moving on to the front now but its so damn hot here, probably get back on it in the cooler months coming.

Hows your 510 doing? and do you know anybody that tunes motec ecus on a engine dyno not a chassis dyno, rotary specific?

Scott.
73greyrotary510

Post by 73greyrotary510 »

Definitely more of a "silhouette" Datsun but from my perspective once you go down the road of extensively modifying a car, the point at which it is no longer the original car is completely subjective. I personally love the idea of a 510 with SLA suspension front & rear with custom suspension pickup points built into the cage for a track car! You get the looks of the 510 with a much better engineered suspension with almost none of the compromises of the stock suspension on track.

Don't know anyone personally who tunes motec on rotaries, my 510 uses the apexi fc computer. I need to finish a few things on the engine side of things as well as put in my r200 lsd and rear cv's, along with another tune before I can put the 510 through its paces on the track. It's been a long time coming but I can't seem to stop thinking about the limitations of the stock suspension design, especially set very low. As you know, you'd have to raise the pickup points of the rear end without harming the rear geometry. And when you're going that far why not just go all the way and do something like what you're doing, eh? haha

Looking forward to your progress and pics!
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Small update. I have some drivetrain parts coming from Mazdatrix, 3.6lbs flywheel to accept an 7 1/4" clutch, bellhousing, and a adapter plate to mate the Jerico 4spd trans. Oh and this little gold jem showed up the other day! My pockets are almost on "E"

Scott.

moath

Post by moath »

3.6lbs flywheel? Holy cow...
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

MoTec... Holy, Holy cow!!

Yep, but good stuff.

Funny - I was thinking about your shop this past week... dreaming of when I'll get there as well.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Upper arms are built and in place, shock are mounted!! Next up for this assembly is a alternator bracket fabbed up to run off the driveshaft.

Scott.

Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Small update. I got the rearend all tied together now with the rest of the chassis, suspension in place actually sitting on the wheels now! im getting excited at this point. Its all tig welded and luckily im a small dude because those that know tig understand its a song and dance with 2 hands and a foot and trying to get to some of these joints was pretty funny to see im sure. Moving on to the front end now, here comes the sawzall lol!

Scott.