Scotty's 13bpp '71

View and post your 510 project(s)
Byron510

Re: Scotty's 13bpp '71

Post by Byron510 »

Scott; amazing work to date. Your fab skills are truly showing. Silhouette or not, you are building a cool car.

Keep us posted.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Looking Great, lots of work there. What kind of travel are you going to have on those rear shocks ? That is one thing that I am worried about on mine, trying to keep it under the wagon floor. Good news for you, if you don't have enough travel, you can easily extend the upper mount.
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Thanks guys! Wizard, I built the mounts to have 1.5" of bump. I went with the DD301's if your interested in the specs.

Scott.

http://www.qa1.net/suspension/street-pe ... adjustable
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Is that 1.5" at the shock or at the wheel? Looking at the pic of the shock location, it appears your motion ratio is close to two? So if the 1.5" bump is at the shock then you have about 3" at the wheel flange.
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

My model shows 1.5" at the shock and 2-7/8" at the outer most portion of the tire, so you were off by .125" lol good guess though! What are you limited to? Can you give the wagon a mini tub?

Scott.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Track Junky wrote:My model shows 1.5" at the shock and 2-7/8" at the outer most portion of the tire, so you were off by .125" lol good guess though! What are you limited to? Can you give the wagon a mini tub?

Scott.
I am at 3 1/16 " at bump, trying like hell not to go into the cargo area, but we'll see.
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Close friend of mine donated this Jerico Road Race Gearbox for the cause. Good Dude for sure! Should mate up well with the Rotary.

Also before completely cutting up the front end, I took loads of measurements to have some reference as to where to fit the fenders/front end body work bollocks! Also, lots of rubber in the engine bay lol!! My suspension design is finalized for the front, Im sticking to it, I can go on with the design for days but its a matter of compromise, give and take I guess, there really is no perfect suspension, always room for improvement so yeah, Im done! Should start this weekend on some of it.

Scott.

Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Bit of progress yesterday on the front end. Kind of hard to see what's going on but there's quite a bit of square, rectangular, and round tubing that has been added to the chassis, still need to add a bit of bracing but that will have to wait until the exhaust and intake stuff is made. Really happy with 13B placement, the center of the #1 rotor is 12" behind the center line of my spindles/wheels, excellent weight distribution! Next up I will be making the front control arms, I like building these, makes for some nice bench work instead of crouching/leaning/upside down welding in the Datsun lol!!

Scott.

duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

This is awesome.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Wow that is a lot of tire in the front of a 510.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

duke wrote:This is awesome.
Agreed.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

Holy cow ! This thing will get more grip then Pamela's tits rubbing Tommy Lee's face :D
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

How did I miss this project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

You have amazing fab skills. I love these types of projects! One suggestion would be to make me a rear subframe to bolt into my car... Just kidding, but i have a feeling I will be doing something similar in the next few years to my car. I would like to use a standard multi-link. Also cutting the entire body off of my car and making all pre-preg dry carbon for the entire body.

Keep up the good work and I cant wait to see this as a completed project ripping up the track somewhere in the midwest.

P.S. I will be in the Track Modified class in the Gridlife Time Attack series, so Let me know if you can make it out and ill give you a ride in my car on track if you want!
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Hey thanks for the kind words everyone!
Sleepy, to bad your not a little bit closer and I had a little bit more time, sounds like a fun project! I browsed that time attack website and looks to be a really cool event esp. being at two of my favorite tracks, Autobahn and Gingerman! Are you going to the Autobahn event? And are spectators welcome? did not see anything on the site.

I am struggling to get this car ready for track time by the end of summer, will see, fingers crossed.

Scott.