"The Shed"

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
Byron510

Re: "The Shed"

Post by Byron510 »

Hi Greg, thanks for dropping by. Great to have another 510 in the community, and a good contact that is local. There seems to be a very good number of 510's here in Maple Ridge, considering how few are left in the Lower Mainland!

On the project, the concrete didn't happen today. The finisher jammed out on me late Monday evening - like 36 hours before the pour! Damn! It did turn nicer this week, and I guess my 19 meter project wasn't worth enough....
It left me scrambling yesterday. I have a new contractor coming by this afternoon, the pour might happen Friday now. I got the pumper truck moved, and the delivery rescheduled. thankfully everyone was accommodating.

the good news is that it's forecast a bit warmer at the end of the week.

Hopefully more updates on Friday.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Yesterday was great forward progress; it started with these rigs showing up...

IMG_4640 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4640 (Medium).JPG (210.9 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
IMG_4636 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4636 (Medium).JPG (220.79 KiB) Viewed 2912 times

And the crew of three placers and a finisher....
IMG_4634 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4634 (Medium).JPG (271.23 KiB) Viewed 2912 times
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

SWEET!!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

My calculations were 18.8 meters (22.5 yards) needed, 0.4 meters for the pump is necessary so 20 meters (24 yards) of concrete was ordered. Each truck held 10.5, so two loads were on their way. I ordered them 45 minutes apart as per the finishers request, it turned out being 1.5 hours which really irritated the placer crew, calls were made, but what can you do.

Here is a photo of progress once the second load showed up> The pump showed up just after 7am, the first concrete truck backed up and placing started at 8:am sharp and was completed by 10. The placers used 10' long aluminum bards to level out the floor, using a laser level along the way to keep it flat. It went quick!
IMG_4645 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4645 (Medium).JPG (231.88 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
But the ordered amount was not quite perfect. We found ourselve just short as the pad outside the man door was not full when the truck pumped out it's last burp! Damn says I!!! The pump truck operator shook as much as he could out of the truck, ans we lifted and shook every last bit out of the extension hoses. We just made it, had about 2 shovel fulls to remove. God what a relief for me. Yet the guys placing seems like this was daily business. Then they started telling stories about when they'd done on side where they were short - stuffing in rocks and gravel - even wood. I'm just glad I was there watching!!!
The pump was washed out and gone by 11 - I paid the extra for them to take away the mess as I didn't need to deal with a bunch of concrete on site.

And by 12 the finisher was standing on the surface power troweling - and he worked that surface until 5pm - back and forth and back and forth. He promised me it would be as smooth as a baby's back side, and said he wouldn't leave until it was done. As he noted, the concrete is boss and it tells him what to do. The job is done when it's done.

The finisher did call the dispatch and order a level 1 hardener in the mix, as the day was just over 10 - not overly warm but in the finishers eyes it was perfect weather to pour concrete in. I also have been doing a bit of homework on concrete additives, and I had Lafarge add in Hard-Cem to the mix. This is a hardener that tightens up the cement matrix, closing the pores in the matrix and adding to it;s abrasion resistance and impact resistance. It was an additional $900 for the additive, but I felt it would make a meaningful difference to the floor itself in longevity. the bonus is that the additive also helps get a better surface as it creams up a bit more - allowing the finisher more time to really work the surface. He was impressed as he'd not used Hard-Cem in the past.
IMG_4651 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4651 (Medium).JPG (125.2 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
The finisher applied a "Broom" finish to the pad outside the man door. It was his recommendation for an outdoor pad. In this climate where we get a lot of moisture, you don;t want to be slipping outside the main door.
IMG_4653 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4653 (Medium).JPG (279.81 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Here is a close up of the "Broom" finish;
IMG_4654 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4654 (Medium).JPG (255.82 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
And the details he placed around where my drain grates will be. Sure looks nice. I love this little radius he placed around the edges. This will really help the concrete from chipping away off the corners over the years.
IMG_4656 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4656 (Medium).JPG (249.79 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
And here was a shot last night when he finished his last pass on the surface;
IMG_4657 (Medium).JPG
IMG_4657 (Medium).JPG (154.35 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Just after the finisher started power troweling, I took off, picked up both kids from school and brought them home to place their hands in the concrete right inside the man door. I'll take photos later, but the prints are there to stay. I also put the year outside the drain area.

I took the family out there first thing this morning and we all stood on it - felt great to see a floor. It's interesting how much closer I feel to the ceiling - it's only 6", but it does feel closer now.

I can't wait to tear the forms off, but this will be next weekend. I am curious how well I did on the drain outside the bay door.

More to come, no doubt.

Byron
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Looks awesome! It was a while ago since I was at your stage on my first shop project, but I remember wanting to lay on it and make some smooth 'concrete angels'. Felt so good after all that back-breaking preparation.
Congrats
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Looks awesome Byron Image
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Good for you Byron, it must feel good after all the hours of work that you have put in.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

looking good Byron. I guess the next big job is moving in the equipment
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

That's looking great Byron. I'm guessing we will all see it in May. That's going to be fantastic with all your machines in there.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Not sure if the equipment will be in by May, but it sure would be nice. I have some framing left around both the man door and bay door to complete, then the engineer can do his final inspection, and the city can do their framing inspection and sign this off. I should get the siding on, and then the city will be out of the picture and my building permit can be signed off. The concrete was an $8k bill all in (concrete mix, delivery, pump truck, placers and finisher). The roll up door will be $5k, the siding will be $5.5k. I'd like to have all the single ph wiring in the walls/ceiling with insulation and boarded before I bring the machines in. But I may have to settle for only the ceiling being completed, have to see how the budget is going. I just past the $80k mark on the shop, my savings for the project have just dried up so it'll be move forward as I can afford it at this point.

Needless to say - this is a classic construction project; I'm 6 months behind and $20k over budget at this point now. But I haven't cut corners, and I can look back at the project and regret any big details to date. And I have added a lot of features along the way, so all in all I am happy with how things are going. And I have a lot of people around me - some here on the forum - for helping.

Speaking of construction, this week was a bit of a gong show. I had a finisher lined up last fall, but was delayed due to cooler winter weather - it happens. Two weeks ago I saw the long range was looking ok, and pulled the trigger. The finisher, pump truck and delivery was set up and I was ready. 36 hours before the pour, the finisher backed out due to scheduling. SHIT says I!!! I called the delivery and the guy with the pump truck, rescheduled for Friday hoping I could find someone. I called a few finishers, had one finisher drop by Wednesday and talked about the project. I was very firm with what I wanted (Simple order - FLAT,FLAT,FLAT,FLAT and as smooth as possible). Got a good feeling for the guy (Big V's out of Abbotsford). Thursday I confirm the delivery and mix with Lafarge, drop my payment with them. Call the pump truck to give him the start time requested by the finisher. He informs me he's down an operator as of that morning, and he can't make it. SHIT SHIT SHIT says I again. I spend 2 hours on the phone calling every pumping company out there. It was a nice week weather wise and no one would commit. Finally I get Astra pumping in Coquitlam to commit a 40 meter truck, worked out a price on the phone and could breathe a sigh of relief. We were on again, heart rate starts to fall closer to normal. But now i have a pump company I don't know, and a finisher I have no idea about except for sizing the guy up in the 15 minutes we talked about the job. Concrete is a one shot deal, I can't say I was relaxed. I was out in the driveway Friday am before everyone got there just looking, thinking, worrying. The finisher showed up just past 7. The pump truck pulls up at 7:20 (remember the last time I had a pump truck we broke the water main). Lafarge showed up at 7:50 with the first load. We were placing by 8:05. All was good, and it just started to roll from there. There was nearly an hour between loads, which put the finisher and placers on edge. But the second load came a bit dryer, and the finisher worked with it well. Then we ran out of concrete just shy of the end - we ended up shaking it out of all the lines on the pump truck by hand - all of us shaking the lines for every last bit - JUST made it (horse shoes!!!). The pump truck cleaned up really well, left no mess; good job Astra Pumping.

At any rate, it all came together. And the finisher did one hell of a job on the product. It is so smooth out there, it's crazy. It also looks very flat, but I have not yet tested it. However the eye is telling me all is good. Man what a relief and I am a happy camper right now.

Next weekend I'll come back and do relief cuts in the surface to control the cracking (all concrete cracks, so best to control it if you can). And I'll strip off the forms and do some back filling with the road mulch mix I have on site already. Feeling good about the project now though.

Byron
gooned

Post by gooned »

Concrete pour was stressful for me both pours, with my low side foundation a full 8' I was worried about form bracing and then the floor...it dropped over 10 degrees that day after they arrived and the finisher was out there till 3am till the surface was happy, mega stress fest. Your finish looks great ( I can recommend a concrete sealer NOT to use in a shop ) what if anything are you putting on it?
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Looks awesome Byron!
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

gooned wrote:Concrete pour was stressful for me both pours, with my low side foundation a full 8' I was worried about form bracing and then the floor...it dropped over 10 degrees that day after they arrived and the finisher was out there till 3am till the surface was happy, mega stress fest. Your finish looks great ( I can recommend a concrete sealer NOT to use in a shop ) what if anything are you putting on it?

Thanks guys for the all the positive comments. Really the floor finish goes to Big V's in Abbotsford - Victor did a great job.
Funny you mention temperature Jason. Victor called up the concrete supplier at the last minute and had a stage 1 added to the mix to speed things up a bit. He'd done a pour 2 days before that had him well into the evening waiting for it to set up. I think he nailed this job perfect as it turned out to take exactly as long as he figured it would.

I've love to hear your thoughts on sealers. I was thinking of going a Lithium based harder/sealer route for the surface, but i know I need to wait about a month before I can do this. What happened on your set up?

Byron