THE OLDEST 510

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
broke

Re: THE OLDEST 510

Post by broke »

okayfine wrote:
broke wrote:Why it has such a ridiculously low number ona 72 I don't know, the paperwork says that it's had that VIN since 1972 as well, so it can't be a plate-swap deal. Very strange.
Could be a VIN swap, but Nissan didn't coordinate VINumbering outside of the Japanese factory very well, if at all. 510s were built across the globe, in full factories or from completely-knocked-down kits. Maybe the Aus. market used CKD early on, then changed over to a factory?
Definitely not a VIN swap unless it was done by Nissan before the car was first registered in NZ, which would be highly unusual. The way our system in New Zealand (this may surprise you, but it's actually a completely separate country from Australia - true story) works it's simply not possible. It has had the same 1972 licence plates and body ID tag since it was first registered.
okayfine wrote:Maybe the Aus. market used CKD early on, then changed over to a factory?
Maybe they did, maybe someone from AUSTRALIA could tell us? I can tell you that NEW ZEALAND model Datsun 1600 base spec and Deluxe models were all assembled in Thames, NEW ZEALAND. SSS models were all Japanese assembled. The "187" is a base model car, so while it may not be the same car that originally wore the licence plates and chassis tag that relate to it, the original car was definitely a 70's one.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

Well the cars are looking very nice..I like these oldies because they are the only assets which we have.. But these are still very clean, I think guys you are very careful about the cleaning of the car.. Because the cars are about 40 years old and looking so young. Thanks for sharing the photos. Please make it continue to sharing this kind of photos.

Rhino Rack Roof Racks
Last edited by Cedric on 26 Mar 2013 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Byron510 wrote:
Hi Dave,
That sounds correct. And there were 2 door 68's in the USDM only. As far as I have been able to research, no other market including us Canadians next door got the 2dr model until the 69MY.

Many 68's were registered in 69, but they are unmistakably 68's due to the wipers and small tail lights. - hard to fake those. Also the dash and the complete wiring system are unique to the 68MY.

I guess what you could have is one of the easiest 2dr cars, it would be interesting to see what the lowest 2dr VIN number is, might be worth a thread on its own.

Byron
Both of my '68s are two doors - Vin#s: 28,304 and 23,165
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Byron510 wrote:VIN PL510 000444

Here is a car I found in Chilliwack a couple years ago with Jason - we didn’t get to buy the car (we were out bid). It was pretty rusty, and its whereabouts is now unknown. So it may not qualify as a true existing car any more.

The regi
The original owners card from Rotary Motors in Vancouver!!!
The car was stuffed in a tiny garage...
And had really low mileage

Byron
Well, this car has once again surfaced - now in Chetwynd BC by an old member of the 510 club - Bill.

It's planned to receive a full restoration to original, so it'll be good to see it again. I had a great talk with an old friend, but the cars new owner. It was trucked up from the Langley/Surrey area to Bill. He's quite excited to have it. I requested Bill to join us here on the Realm, keep us updated on his progress. I hope he does.

To bump the oldest 510 thread - you guys have more to add?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

That is so cool! He is keeping it as built? Glad you know where it is.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The car came to him mostly complete. I had forgot that I posted this car here many years ago when Jason Wong and I went out to take a look – I stumbled across this thread looking for another this morning. I don’t know if the rather cool documentation in the glovebox was still with the car, good thing I too the photo above and posted it or it too would have likely been lost.
From what I can tell, the car changed hands at least twice (maybe more) in the time between the above post and this past month. Who knows how many cases of beer have swapped the car, but in the end the title remains the same, so it survived. The front fenders and a bit of trim had been removed prior to bills possession of the car. Otherwise, that's about it; when I talked to Bill on the phone the car sounded like it was as it had been these 4 years earlier.

It will go back to stock, that’s the plan. And it’s now parted beside his ’80 A510 2dr in his garage.

Byron
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks for posting Mike.
I know when Jason and I found this car, I was pretty excited about the VIN. But I am also glad that the #440 car is in good hands now.
567 is very cool.
There is one other car witch existed in Vance Swifts collection back in the 90's, I can't remember if Vance said it was a high 1xx or low 2xx car.nif that chassis still exists, it would be the oldest one I know of or have ever seen. Vance did build a hell of a building in the late 90's to preserve his cars under, it's possible that this low# 68 survived, I guess someone will have to drop by one day.
Mike, thanks for bumping the thread - it's good to throw it out there and see what everyone else might have.

Byron
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I still have 000308 ,but I pretty sure it won't be saved. It has a lot of good parts but it's pretty rotten. Almost mint interior with seam tears on the front bench. I would love to find an early shell. Maybe it's time to sell what I have to let someone else keep an early car on the road. I also have been hoarding trim for it. But while I'd like it to all go on a car im not having a fire sale. It's hard to let the dream of owning an early car go. So keep an eye out for a stripped but reasonably solid shell for me.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

MikeY wrote:I still have 000308 ...
Eh Mike, maybe you should document that VIN # here, you might be crowned as having the oldest 510 on the realm or internet with a photo of that chassis VIN#.

Byron
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Well taking a vin pic was easy. But you made me look for registration. That is not going as well. I will keep digging. I believe the earliest is ownd by Dan (who owns Art's old car). In the 270 range. But I could be wrong. I would take a pic of the whole car buts it's not pretty. I could fix it as it needs and I have nos inner and outer fenders, but oh my god the welding. And I would need a rad support and a compete grill.
Attachments
IMG_20160331_084818.jpg
IMG_20160331_084818.jpg (175.68 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I never noticed the regi says 000305, that might cause trouble someday. But will seem like small potatoes if I ever get that far.
Attachments
IMG_20160331_091936.jpg
IMG_20160331_091936.jpg (239.68 KiB) Viewed 5714 times
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

For what is worth. There is no door pillar buid date tag on the early cars. The date on the seat belt is 7/67
spriso

Post by spriso »

I finally found the photo of P510-000082 owned by Rod from The Datsun 1600 Workshop in Australia.

A friend sent me this photo years ago, I will e-mail him and see if I can get more info.

Enjoy,

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Check out what I got Byron! Wish I had the car it came with.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam