Another 72 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
66DUCE

Another 72 510

Post by 66DUCE »

Trying my luck to add photos to start to create a build thread.
Here is what we started with.
Last edited by 66DUCE on 10 Dec 2017 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
qwik510
Supporter

Re: Another 72 510

Post by qwik510 »

You are half way there.
When you have a picture opened in Photobucket, copy the image code
and paste it in the text area of your post.

The image will show up there.

See example above.

Nice looking dime to start with.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Ok thanks. Here we go again.

Last edited by 66DUCE on 09 Dec 2017 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Ok thanks Quick 510 looks like I am finally getting a handle on it?
So I picked this car up recently after looking on and off for a few years and at that point not that serious. I sold a recent project and freed up some cash this one came available. I also picked up a 93 240sx grabbed the driveline out of it and have been in the process of swapping it into the 510. First order of business was to clean it up drive it for a few days and then add my own twist. As I am not planning to do any body or paint soon I wanted to change the color of the stipe on the sides of the car.
Last edited by 66DUCE on 09 Dec 2017 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

I got these 5 spoke wheels with the 240 and thought I would mock them up to see the contrast with my new paint, offset is completely wrong but thoght I would see what it looked like?

I also made a jig to hold the cross member straight while cutting an flipping... kudos to all those who have done this swap before me as the ideas and info out there has made this an easy and fun project so far!

I then cut, flipped welded, ground down the welds and placed another plate to help strengthen the cut area.

I changed the location of the O2 sensor (I used a die grinder to open up the passage way where the EGR tube was on the inside of the exhaust manifold as it is quite restricted) sorry do not have a close up of what I did here. I also welded up the old O2 bung, eliminated the control/vacuum lines for EGR, the EGR itself and made a cover plate for where the EGR was.

Once I got all items on the engine addressed I swapped over the 240 engine mounts for the 510 mounts and bolted the cross member to the engine and married the new engine/trans to the 510. I think this is the most natural looking swap in the 510, looks like it could have come from the factory with this engine/trans combo.
Last edited by 66DUCE on 09 Dec 2017 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Now that the engine and trans are in I had to raise the trans to see where the engine and trans need to sit, cut the opening for the shifter and fabricate a transmission mount.
At this point I have given myself enough room to keep the exhaust tucked up as high as it can go. This car is low but not that low so I am thinking that I will still have decent ground clearance. I took the stock 510 driveshaft to be shortened and balanced, and now onto finishing the exhaust and to get to the wiring.
Last edited by 66DUCE on 09 Dec 2017 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Looks like you have it under control. The pic posting and the swap.

Nice looking project. Keep the updates coming.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Motor swaps are the best! I would ditch those engine isolators though. Its going to vibrate your car apart. I used pollly mounts once..... I learned my lesson.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Thanks Icehouse, my thoughts on the motor mounts was to lower (for the lack of a better term) the engine mounts with a metal plate so there is more support for the 510 mounts. What polly mounts have you used in the past? I did consider the 240 mounts for a bit as they are somewhat a polly mount? See picture of engine still on bench... but they seem very hard (like on old skateboard wheel) and wanted to try the factory mounts ( there was no info or write-up about both engine or trans mounts) (rubber ones to use) most who I contacted said they have used the factory 510 rubber mounts. I am with you that they will probably produce a lot of vibration from the engine in their current location with no support on the lower end.

Thanks for the feedback and look forward to hear about more on your rack & pinion on your dime!
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

I see that I have not updated this in a while, progress has slowed but still moving forward. I got my driveshaft shortened, fitted the exhaust reconnected the emergency brake, and installed my orange line sway bar from Futofab. I got the rest of the wiring sorted and removed wires I no longer needed. Drilled a hole through the firewall and fitted the original 240sx firewall plug... still need to mount the ECU. At this point I have been running/testing the engine to make sure I have not eliminated/cut the wrong wires along the way. I have an engine test stand with a small fuel tank and in tank fuel pump that I hooked up to move the car around the shop and to make sure that the engine is still starting. Drove the car maybe 100 yards or so and all seems good so far! Now that the majority of the under car stuff is sorted I am returning my focus to properly installing the fuel pump in the 510 tank. I decided on mounting the fuel pump to the left side of the tank as it is very tight (fuel pump to original sending unit) in the center of the tank. Not sure if PO had cleaned the tank before I got this car or if this is original but tank was very clean inside. removal of the factory baffles was done with a pair of large tin snips and it took multiple passes to clean it up.
Inside shot of tank after removal of the baffles.
test fitting the fuel pump assembly into it new home.
Last edited by 66DUCE on 09 Dec 2017 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Got the tank finished and installed. Wiring is mostly sorted but still a mess, but had to take it for a ride tonight after licensing. Pulls hard and runs great. I see what guys mean about the close gear ratios. All in all first thoughts are that the work was totally worth it.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

You've made really good progress in a realativly short period of time. Look forward to seeing you and the car Tuesday.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Thanks Byron, seems like I have been on this build for a long time...glad I can finally drive it! All joking aside all the info on this site makes the process a lot easier! Obviously the mechanical was a lot quicker with all the reasurch and info available here on the Realm. Thanks to all of you who have done this conversion before me!
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Got a new (new to me) set of seats out of an Acura Integra, with adjustable bolster/lumbar and better support than what came out. It was an easy swap since the car already had Honda/Acura seats in it.

Last edited by 66DUCE on 09 Dec 2017 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

When I got to drive this swap the first time the first 100 yards revealed some harsh noises from the transmission, thinking I could get away with just a quick fix thought I would pull the trans and investigate (original diagnosis in the car seemed to be input shaft bearing). As usual the quick fix pushed me to do it right.

Trans got completely disassembled and replaced all bearings and seals, while I was at it I replaced the clutch.

See anything wrong here? Nice kit that I got had all these bearings and seals/gaskets that I needed.

This is what was making all the noise... the counter-shaft bearing was missing a few pieces.
Last edited by 66DUCE on 09 Dec 2017 22:43, edited 1 time in total.