Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Benny

Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Post by Benny »

I see that Comp list their cans as "solid" core. Does that means they don't have the provisions for oil feed to the lobes, and require a spray bar?
510wizard
Supporter

Re: Spray bar required with Comp cams?

Post by 510wizard »

Yes, and most high lift, long duration cams require a spray bar even if it has a drilled core (which is plugged for spray bar use).
Benny

Post by Benny »

510wizard wrote:Yes, and most high lift, long duration cams require a spray bar even if it has a drilled core (which is plugged for spray bar use).
Interesting. Since my original post, I've found several discussions on-line where people with 240 and 260z's have received Comp cams that are internally oiled.

Have you used a Comp cam for an L18/20 yourself, and seen it plugged? Most of their grinds are not really high lift or long duration.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Benny wrote:
510wizard wrote:Yes, and most high lift, long duration cams require a spray bar even if it has a drilled core (which is plugged for spray bar use).
Interesting. Since my original post, I've found several discussions on-line where people with 240 and 260z's have received Comp cams that are internally oiled.

Have you used a Comp cam for an L18/20 yourself, and seen it plugged? Most of their grinds are not really high lift or long duration.
Sounds like your cam was ground from a billet which do not have internal oiling.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Benny

Post by Benny »

Three B's Racing wrote:Sounds like your cam was ground from a billet which do not have internal oiling.
Who are you talking to? I don't have a cam....I'm asking a question about one.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Benny wrote:

240/260s from the factory are externally oiled (spray bar), so if the Comp Cams 6cly are gun drilled then they would have to be plugged to use in the stock configuration (plugged in the sense that # 2 cam journal in 4 cly L-series, which supplies oil for internal cam oiling is plugged, not sure what journal in 6 cly L-series, my schooling is in 4 cly) I think that Nissan used a spray bar(6 cly) because the outer lobes/journals didn't get enough oil on such a long cam. There is too much oil loss if you try to use both spray bar & internal oiling. I haven't used Comp Cams (4cly) , but if they are regrinds on a stock core, then they are internally oiled especially if not high lift/long duration. Usually the cam manufacture will state when a cam needs to be externally oiled. Racer Brown did redrill the cam lobes for better oiling on his street cams. I drill out the oil jet to a bigger size in the block to increase the oil for the cam/journals on my street builds.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Benny wrote:
Three B's Racing wrote:Sounds like your cam was ground from a billet which do not have internal oiling.
Who are you talking to? I don't have a cam....I'm asking a question about one.
Sorry Benny I was talking about your original post but put it in the wrong one :lol: "I see that Comp list their cams as "solid" core. Does that means they don't have the provisions for oil feed to the lobes, and require a spray bar? So I'll change my statement. Sounds like Comp Cams grinds their cams from billets"

There,,, :D
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Benny

Post by Benny »

Three B's Racing wrote: Sorry Benny I was talking about your original post but put it in the wrong one :lol: "I see that Comp list their cams as "solid" core. Does that means they don't have the provisions for oil feed to the lobes, and require a spray bar? So I'll change my statement. Sounds like Comp Cams grinds their cams from billets"

There,,, :D
I just an email back from Comp. They tell me that the "Solid" note refers to the style of lifter (solid vs hydraulic), and that their cams are internally lubricated.

I bought an Isky cam years ago, but I'm kinda thinking 280* duration on a daily driver might get a little old.
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

I have 306 duration and 530 lift on my car and don't find it too bad. Helps that I keep it idling around 1000rpm to keep enough oil sprayed on the cam though.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Yeah,I had a 280/510 cam and it was totally fine for street.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I concur that we should be keeping our idle at 1,000-1,100 RPM at idle when you have a non stock cam and spray bar installed. If you still let the cam oil itself and then install a spray bar, you have basically a bigger leak in the oiling system, so the pressure drops at idle. Even with my high volume oil pump, we put a thin shim in there to bring the pressure up. Ever more so if you also have a turbo installed, as that is an even bigger draw for the oiling system.

And, as I say many time before, whatever spray bar someone buys..CHECK THE SPRAY PATTERN BEFORE you install it.

We have seen burrs left in the drilling process and the oil sprays everywhere but on the cam lobe.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer