Dave's turbo car number 2

View and post your 510 project(s)
icehouse

Re: Dave's turbo car number 2

Post by icehouse »

paul97 wrote:I love the rising sun on the hood. What valve cover is that? I would like one for my engine.

It's a Coonan cover, it's the only one I've ever seen. From what I gather a mini truck guy made them back in the 70's. They where for sale in the UFO mag.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Jeff. Give. Me. That. R180. LSD. :twisted:
I'm your huckleberry.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

thisismatt wrote:Jeff. Give. Me. That. R180. LSD. :twisted:
It looks so nice in my shed though :)
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

icehouse wrote:
thisismatt wrote:Jeff. Give. Me. That. R180. LSD. :twisted:
It looks so nice in my shed though :)
once I get my vq installed I will compel you to sell it to me :lol:
I'm your huckleberry.
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

no sell me the lsd yu will not need it with what you want to do to your sr car
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Down pipe done! Air damn installed! closer..... I guess... :)

510rob

Post by 510rob »

I see wires - nice!!!
Datsun 1600 Nut
Supporter

Post by Datsun 1600 Nut »

Car and motor look amazing! The intake manifold is simply a work of art, exactly what I had envisaged for my L series turbo project :o

What thickness pipe did you use on the exhaust manifold? Im thinking of going along the same lines design wise, not sure if one could make it look much different due to space?? :?

Is there a specific reason why the injectors are mounted right next to the intake ports? I've been told its slightly better to mount them a slight distance away so as to better atomise the fuel before it enters the port?

What type of head gasket are you guys using? How thick is it too? I was thinking of making one out of copper, but have heard that they do not seal very well most of the time. :?:

Do you use the standard intake/exhaust manifold gasket?

Sorry for all the questions in one post, I'm just really excited to see someone else doing a turbo conversion on an L motor :D (man I sound like such a noob lol)
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place..."

Current Car's:
1971 P510 1600 SSS Coupe
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1973 P510 1600 SSS
1973 620 Pickup
1979 PA10 1600J
1980 280ZX
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

The wiring is done besides a little taping and clamps. Everything else in the engine bay is done! We attempted to start it today but the Megasquirt God's were not smiling upon us. Even with the Megasquirt pro Rob helping it still just didn't happen, which if he was actually here it would of but I'm only so good at explaining shit over emails, texts, and phone calls. So maybe this week we will get it going. Its something to do with the VR sensor. So Dave is going to get a handful of them tomorrow so we can try a different one.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Datsun 1600 Nut wrote:Car and motor look amazing! The intake manifold is simply a work of art, exactly what I had envisaged for my L series turbo project :o

What thickness pipe did you use on the exhaust manifold? Im thinking of going along the same lines design wise, not sure if one could make it look much different due to space?? :?

Is there a specific reason why the injectors are mounted right next to the intake ports? I've been told its slightly better to mount them a slight distance away so as to better atomise the fuel before it enters the port?

What type of head gasket are you guys using? How thick is it too? I was thinking of making one out of copper, but have heard that they do not seal very well most of the time. :?:

Do you use the standard intake/exhaust manifold gasket?

Sorry for all the questions in one post, I'm just really excited to see someone else doing a turbo conversion on an L motor :D (man I sound like such a noob lol)

Thanks :) I love building shit. fabrication and math are my favorite things to do :)

The exhaust manifold is schedule 40, aka burrley! Yeah there isn't much room under the intake. I think it worked out pretty good though.

Byron cast the part of the mani that is bolted to the head so you will have to ask him about the injector location. I just machined off the carb flange and built the plenum, TB flange and IACV flange.

The head gasket is the Nismo one for the LZ engines. I forget the thickness, its a high comp motor though haha I've heard the same thing about copper gaskets.

The intake/exhaust gasket is a modified nissan unit.

Questions are good, I just wish I would have noticed this earlier when you first posted it. Sorry dude.
Datsun 1600 Nut
Supporter

Post by Datsun 1600 Nut »

Awesome man, I take it then that you guys are probably building an LZ22 turbo motor?

Do you think a gasket made out of a metal other than copper would work? Would a comp ratio of 9:1 be ok for a turbo build, or should I shoot for something lower?
Byron cast the part of the mani that is bolted to the head so you will have to ask him about the injector location.
Ah ok, I think I answered that question when I stumbled across a cross section of an L28ET Fuel injection system.
Questions are good, I just wish I would have noticed this earlier when you first posted it. Sorry dude.
Not a problem at all man, I'm just glad you willing to share your knowledge on this subject! :P

You guys done anything new to Dave's car lately?

Cheers
Jared
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place..."

Current Car's:
1971 P510 1600 SSS Coupe
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1973 P510 1600 SSS
1973 620 Pickup
1979 PA10 1600J
1980 280ZX
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Has it really been 6 years!!!! WOW! Finally installed dished pistons so he doesn't have to run race gas anymore. Still sounds bad ass and hauls the mail. Acording to the math it should be running about 8 to 1 compression. instead of the 11 to 1 it was running before. Also found out the engine has a Z24 crank shaft that and it runs Z24 pistons... So its a de stroked Z24 with an L head. kinda cool really. Of coarse I only took two pictures..... You get the idea though.

defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Looking good Jeff....though "Friends Don't Let Friends Use Fram".