78' 510 Rear Brakes Upgrade

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
dkwan101

78' 510 Rear Brakes Upgrade

Post by dkwan101 »

Hi Guys,

What do you think about this upgrade kit?
http://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun/ ... pgrade-kit

Will it fit m 78' 510, I emailed this store and they claim it fits all 510 models except wagons.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: 78' 510 Rear Brakes Upgrade

Post by datzenmike »

You have an A10. Look on the firewall cowl just above and behind the valve cover it will say something like HL A10 RFU???? It's only called a 510 in North America (Stanza elsewhere) to attract sales by playing on the original '68-'73 PL510. It's a 510 in badge name only. There's nothing wrong with that, they are a fine looking car, but not the one these brakes are intended for I think.

The fact that this kit only fits sedans is the give away that it is not meant for your car. The original PL510 had IRS (independent rear suspension) in the sedan and a solid H190 axle in the wagon and why they say it won't fit. Your A10 uses the same H-165 solid axle in sedans and wagons.

Press them harder for the year of 510 it will fit and they will probably say '68 to '73.

That's a lot of money for rear disc. If I may ask why rear disc? They look great and they say you went to the bother but they don't really stop you better. They are very simple and low maintenance and that is their best asset.

The rear axles from an '80-'81 S110 (200sx) are also H-165, have disc brakes,probably are the same length and will fit your A10. I have a set and test fitted them in my 710 wagon with success.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
dkwan101

Post by dkwan101 »

datzenmike wrote:You have an A10. Look on the firewall cowl just above and behind the valve cover it will say something like HL A10 RFU???? It's only called a 510 in North America (Stanza elsewhere) to attract sales by playing on the original '68-'73 PL510. It's a 510 in badge name only. There's nothing wrong with that, they are a fine looking car, but not the one these brakes are intended for I think.

The fact that this kit only fits sedans is the give away that it is not meant for your car. The original PL510 had IRS (independent rear suspension) in the sedan and a solid H190 axle in the wagon and why they say it won't fit. Your A10 uses the same H-165 solid axle in sedans and wagons.

Press them harder for the year of 510 it will fit and they will probably say '68 to '73.

That's a lot of money for rear disc. If I may ask why rear disc? They look great and they say you went to the bother but they don't really stop you better. They are very simple and low maintenance and that is their best asset.

The rear axles from an '80-'81 S110 (200sx) are also H-165, have disc brakes,probably are the same length and will fit your A10. I have a set and test fitted them in my 710 wagon with success.
Correct it's an HLA10, the reason for the rear disc brake conversion is the pads and rotors are easier to find in my area due to the fact they are "newer". Drums and shoes are much harder for me to find locally.

Good to know, I'll keep my eye out for some 80'-81' S110 brake stuff :)
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I think the e brakes are cable on the S110 but something can be worked out.

The '82-'83 S110 had a super duty H-190 differential and rear disc. The H-190 allow for a much wider gear selection
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yeah, as I mentioned in the other thread, the 200SX stuff is going to be your best bet since it's factory. Tough to find one of those early cars any more, though.

Echoing Mike's point, swapping to disc seems like a big solution for a small problem of ordering up some shoes and drums. Maybe you can't get it locally today, but I imagine you have the equivalent of RockAuto up in Canada. RockAuto is showing me all sorts of very cheap options for shoes and drums, with an axle set of everything for <$50.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Thought i would chime in here as i have a set from this manufacturer sitting on my shelf. The set i have is for the 280zx front conversion. Big calipers and are heavy. Fittings seem alright but the spacers that are included are poor quality. There is a review of a silvermine brake kit over on ratsun for a 240z conversion that seems to be a solicitation, so not credible. Hopefully i can install the conversion disc setup this winter after i purchase some new wheels due the added size of the calipers. (Should be noted silvermine recommends 16"wheels to clear the calipers...im hoping 15s will work.)

Conclusion = skeptical