WTT Give a core take a core Richmond bc

Post your forsale and wanted ads
Byron510

Re: WTT Give a core take a core Richmond bc

Post by Byron510 »

2DoorJim wrote:"Boosted seat" ????
Hi Jim,
The boosted seat was a trophy chair that we fabricated for Keith when he broke the 2 minute mark at Knox Mtn Hill Climb. At the time Keith broke that barrier, few had a sub 2 minute time - it was a big deal.
So to celebrate it, the following month at our 510 Club of BC AGM party, we presented the "Boosted Chair" to Keith.

Going back to the run itself; When Keiths car was staged in the grid that year, I had volunteered for the job of manually spraying water at the new front mount intercooler to keep its tempature down. It may have helped Keith's run for the first 2 seconds, who knows. Keith had already planned to mount a proper water mist system for the following year so that the IC could be more effective during the whole run.

However it was agreed that The Boosted Chair had to have a FMIC and a turbo, because these are the two items which were key to Keith getting his time.

The Boosted Chair was a 510 front seat,mounted on a cast office swivel wheel base. A mock front mount intercooler was placed Under the front of the chair. This little FMIC was actually a 280ZXT oil cooler with inlet and out let pipes welded to the end tanks. The IF was piped into a compete core turbocharger which Andy/Tracey at Sepcialty Enginnering gave me. The turbo was mounted down one side of the chair, plumbed to the FMIC. Since the new addition to Keith car was going to be a proper water spray system on the IC, I put a 510 washer bottle and pump on the opposite side of the chair. I found that a standard 9V battery would operate the washer motor, so a switch was wired up with a momentary on push button. A trip to Home Depot netted a pair of plant mister nozzles, these were mounted to spray water on the chairs FMIC and plumbed into the water wash pump, and yes it did all work! And the final touch was the have some vynil decals made, placed on the back panel of the chair that read "King of the Hill, Knox Moutain" with the date.
There are photos around of the chair when we presented it to Keith. We'll have to dig those up. I don't have them personally, but I'll look for them here on the site and post a link when I find them.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks Byron, that was a great write up.

I have a picture from Aldergrove Lake Park when you gave me that. I have all my albums out right now, so I will scan it in tonight.

There is no doubt that the cold water made a difference, as I left the line with my intake air was at ambient and once I was moving, the cold water as it evaporated pulled more heat out of the inter-cooler. I think I only saw about 130 degrees at the top. When you consider that before the inter-cooler, I was seeing over 350+ degrees at the top, I was getting an additional 20+ HP increase plus a related mid range more torque, I know I could feel it in the seat of my pants.

I still use that misting system to this day, as it works great in traffic to soak down the inter-cooler and pull heat out during slow speed driving with minimal air flow.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Proof that I apparently do have a photo, and once posted it online here! I'll go take a look this morning "on my coffee break" as I'm working from home...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3835&p=33301

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

HHmmm...I bailed through all my albums and I do not have a picture, I must be thinking of the one in the newsletter..

To be continued....
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Ahhh, sounds like the ultimate trophy!

Though it might not be apparent across the web but as Byron says Keith beating 2:00 minutes at Knox Mountain Hillclimb was a significant achievement back then, but still is today I would think. Not to mention doing it in a 40+ year old car, albeit a very well tuned car but also a very well tuned driver.

I don't know if Halfners 1:37 run is still on youtube but when it was, it simply looked like someone sped up the video, insane. Heck, I'm most certain it would be insane to ride in the passenger seat of a 2 minute car!

Don't go nuts looking for pictures of the "trophy", a mental image of sorts comes to mind.... heh!

Well done, and thanks for the history lesson. Realize that this is legend material to those of us who followed Knox, the people, and the results.

edit: back to regular programming - Give a core take a core and pay if forward.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Looking for an antenna mast for a 2door? Would you have one in your stash?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I will toss a few in the car on the tenth
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Cool thanks.
RMS
Supporter

I've got panels

Post by RMS »

I've got panels, yes I do. I've got panels what about you ?

even got two decent not rusted 620 hoods and a tail gate.

wagon doors

4dr doors

2dr doors, one set, fair to ruff, missing bits, door handles are off but you know you'll never miss them because they open when you want with some solenoid system.

1/4 windows, two good sets left $200 a set, one rusty set and a dr side frame

hoods, trunks ....mostly sevens one trunk is shaved and put on a cable

rear glass, no tint, blue tint, blue with defrost, and a purple over blue $150 each

RMS
Supporter

white card

Post by RMS »

up for sale or trade, local pick up only. a usable collection of white door cards and back bench. they may be dirty but they are soft and supple. no uv has touched these vinyl bits in over 13 years. you can see where I gave a wipe with some acetone, not as white as the paper towels....

ImageImageImageImage

the bad
ImageImage
gooned

Post by gooned »

Surprised you fit a fullsize Dodge in a can!? Lots o skinz there.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

too bad their bologna skins, mock up only.... well I could run the 38s but they are 30+ years old. had to pull the 44s to get the 51 b1in the can. I was worried I would have to cut the crummy to get her in. this is the next project in line.Image

more cards:

don't cut those mint 69 2dr cards for speakers buy these for $50 and put yours away.
don't even have nice 69 cards to put away? buy these three for $80 and find a vinyl welder. that sem heat activated stuff worked great

if your supporting brown interior you can have this for $5 + shipping because its 8)
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

white seats are sold, but somehow I ended up with more door cards....... :? thanks Carl :lol: :lol:
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

new cards including these new 71+ wagon rear door cards ImageImage

and three whites for a 2dr Image

and some others not worth the bandwidth [pic]
andrewm

Post by andrewm »

How much for those rear wagon door panels? curious
1970 510 wagon ka24e-t