15x7 Wheels

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
ctdavid73510

15x7 Wheels

Post by ctdavid73510 »

Hi Everyone.

I know there are a bunch of threads discussing wheels. I also know there a lot of variables. I'm hoping to find out what offset and tire size to use for 15x7 wheels under the following circumstances:

Stock Fenders with rolled inside lip
280zx struts
Low enough that the tire will tuck inside the rear fender without camber

Thanks in advance for the help.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: 15x7 Wheels

Post by okayfine »

Well, 15x6 +12 is stock 280ZXT wheel size, and that fits your setup because I had it on my wagon. Thing is, there really isn't any room to go inwards on a ZX strut due to the front strut, and isn't really any room to go outwards because of the stock fenders and not wanting to have camber in the rear.

What wheels are you looking at? As you know, wheels come in only a few offsets, if you're lucky. Most won't work for what you're looking at, even when you get down the spacers. And it'll also depend on tire size, and specific width in tire (which varies between all tires labeled "205" or whatever). The example above of Swastika wheels on my wagon? I was running 195/50/15s. SOME 205s would have rubbed.

There are so many threads on this wheelsize because it's such an issue finding something that fits. 'Cause you usually have to compromise on something.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
ctdavid73510

Post by ctdavid73510 »

I like the look of the Panasport or Rota's. I could go with a 15x6. I specified 15x7 as I've seen some posts about people running a 15x7. I just know I wanted a 15 inch wheel. I could go with a little camber in the rear. I'm just worried about wearing through tires. Are 15x6 +12 hard to come by for aftermarket wheels?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Camber doesn't really wear tires, it's out-of-spec toe that wears tires. If people lower a 510 and don't correct the rear (slot, Byron's brackets, etc.) the geometry of the rear suspension when it is lowered produces toe out. This will wear a tire in short order.

15" wheels are fine, lots of them out there. FutoFab has a couple and recommendations for fitment.
http://www.futofab.com/index.php?page=s ... &Itemid=72

Dave has provided guidance on 15x7 setups, you could search here for it.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I can add info for one set up using 15x7 rims under stock fenders.
You'll find a few pictures of Norms car (funwithmonkeys) here on the site. His car is a 4dr, so rolling the rear isn't an option because the actual door opening is the obstical - just like the wagons. The car uses 280ZX front struts and out back there is a disc brake conversion which is a bit of a spacer on its own. At any rate, this is what Norm did to make his set up work.

Rims - Team Dynamics Racing
15x7 +35
Front spacer ~30mm
Rear spacer ~15

That should at least give you an idea and a starting place. This gave 1/4" (6mm) Clarence between the tire/rim and front strut.
In reading the above, technically a 15x7 +20 rim ( if it existed) would need a 10 mm spacer up front only, just to keep the tire/rim off the strut. However you would not have room to adjust with spacers both ways, so I can understand why Norm went the way he did on his set up. It also looks pretty cool.

Keep us informed of what you end up doing and what works for you and the rims you choose.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
ctdavid73510

Post by ctdavid73510 »

Thanks for the replies. I'm doing research and trying to plan my project before I get started.Need to figure out how I want to approach getting this car on the road. Will be sure to provide updates as I get Some progress.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

To follow-up on comments by Okayfine & Byron.

Futo Fab sells 15x7 +18 wheels (VTO Lemans & Retro 4). These work fine with stock struts. FutoFab also sells 8mm spacers for use with 280ZX struts.

Tires, 195/50 or 205/50 depending on manufaturer.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
ctdavid73510

Post by ctdavid73510 »

Dave

Thanks for the info. That is really helpful. These fit under stock rolled fenders?

David
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Dave

Thanks for the info. That is really helpful. These fit under stock rolled fenders?
Yes they will.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Here are photos of Norm's wheels which I referred to above - 280ZX struts with Willwood brakes on what works out to be +20mm offset
(Correct me if I calculated this right => +35-(30/2)=+20mm offset on the front, +35-(15/2)=+27 offset rear ???)

I do agree that you have to be careful on what people "say" fits; many people out there are running lots of negative camber on the rear. In the last few months we have had people post that 15x7 wheel offset wheel are under stock, rolled fenders. I can't see it, even with loads of negative camber. If you look at my car, I am running 205/50-15's on 15x7 zero offset wheels, yet they "JUST" clear my 1 1/2" flares with 0.5 degree negative camber.

Byron
Attachments
IMG_5507 (Small).jpg
IMG_5507 (Small).jpg (124.56 KiB) Viewed 4913 times
IMG_5520 (Small).jpg
IMG_5520 (Small).jpg (129.85 KiB) Viewed 4913 times
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

On mine I bought wheels that I knew would go under and I could space out to clear the struts. They are actually 200sx struts I the front which are the same as the 280zx just with a different brake mounting bolt spacing and the rear is stock with no camber correction. As you can see my car is not that low also. If you are going lower you will need some correction in the rear. I am on and off the ferries all the time so going really low is not an option. I also like not having to worry about speed bumps.
In the rear I am sitting at +23 and the front +8. I have about 1 cm clearance to the control arm in the rear and 3-5mm to the strut in the front. There is no rubbing anywhere. If you would like more pictures let me know and I can take some for reference. The wheels I bought are made to order with many different back spacings available. At $160usd/ wheel they are a good deal in my opinion. They weigh under 15lb for a 15x7 at +35
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?