Buying Subaru R180 diff, should I buy the axles

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Buying Subaru R180 diff, should I buy the axles

Post by 2DoorJim »

Folks, I'm in the process of buying a Subaru R180 diff and I had planned on ordering a pair of aftermarket retrofit stub axles to mate up to the 510 half shafts. Somewhere I read about a person using the Subaru CV stub axles with a custom axle shaft and outboard CV conversion hardware. Sounds appealing, presuming I can buy these custom axle shafts etc. So question is, should I pay extra and buy the sellers Subaru axle assemblies?

Seems the usual process is to buy the aftermarket stubs then a CV conversion kit. This would be cost prohibitive for me, $1500+ or about $24,599 canadian pesos.
Sleepys-14

Re: Buying Subaru R180 diff, should I buy the axles

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Personally, if this is a street car that does not go above 125mph, then I would just run the r180 with the beta motorsports stubs with stock axles. I ran them for years and couldn't have asked for a better setup. Now on the other hand if your speeds are higher, vibration comes in, which is why I have cv axles also. Now that my top speed is higher, the cv axles are necessary based strictly from vibration. My personal opinion.
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

DIY:

DQ Volume 12 Issue 4 0 Tech How-To: Installing an '06 Subaru STR-R R180LSD — Beta Motorsports 27T stubs create new possibilities. Accessorize your new differential with a Perrin large-capacity diff cover.

or

DQ Volume 11 Issue 2 - Tech How-To: Subaru VLSD Adapters — Robert Powell shows how he installed the Subaru VLSD into his 510. This method differs from DQ 9.4 as Robert wanted to retain his CV axle setup that uses the VW Type-II CNC adapters.

Beta writeup:

DQ Volume 12 Issue 4 - Tech How-To: Installing an '06 Subaru STR-R R180LSD — Beta Motorsports 27T stubs create new possibilities. Accessorize your new differential with a Perrin large-capacity diff cover.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Thanks for those links Julian, good reading. I followed with some more research but don't see any tried and tested alternates using the subaru axles like I thought might be happening. Retrofit stub axles look like the way to go.

Sleepy you bring up a point, I'm not likely to use this car at high speed, certainly not for more than a couple seconds at any given time. I've got the car lowered and didn't like the axle angle, does feel like I have a bit of vibration though. Guess I can always add the CV system anytime.
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

okayfine wrote:DIY:

DQ Volume 12 Issue 4 0 Tech How-To: Installing an '06 Subaru STR-R R180LSD — Beta Motorsports 27T stubs create new possibilities. Accessorize your new differential with a Perrin large-capacity diff cover.

or

DQ Volume 11 Issue 2 - Tech How-To: Subaru VLSD Adapters — Robert Powell shows how he installed the Subaru VLSD into his 510. This method differs from DQ 9.4 as Robert wanted to retain his CV axle setup that uses the VW Type-II CNC adapters.

Beta writeup:

DQ Volume 12 Issue 4 - Tech How-To: Installing an '06 Subaru STR-R R180LSD — Beta Motorsports 27T stubs create new possibilities. Accessorize your new differential with a Perrin large-capacity diff cover.
Thank you. More DQ articles for me to read 8)

EDIT, already have this one for the grill guide. Never read the whole thing :oops:
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

FutoFab now sells the conversion stub axles to mate Datsun halfshafts to a Subaru STi R180 differential.

Wolf Creek Racing, which FutoFab purchased last Fall, had assumed the sale of the Beta Motorsports stub axles. With our purchase of WCR's stock we continued the availability of the Beta Motorsports stub axles until the supply was exhausted.

Since then, we have changed suppliers and within 2 weeks will be offering a new and stronger STi conversion stub axle.

The FutoFab version will be made from forged and hardened axle blanks, not cut from billet steel. Forging bends the grain of the steel and makes for a stronger transition between the shaft and flange. The Beta Motorsports axles were made from machined steel billets, a structurally weaker process for this particular design configuration.

The new FutoFab design offers a 50% increase in material strength over the Beta Motorsports stub axles that we acquired from WCR.

All current and futre orders made online at http://www.FutoFab.com will be filled with the new and stronger FutoFab design.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Dave, thank you for providing an update. Personally I'm between a rock and a hard spot, my most economic solution is to see if my datsun R180 LSD carrier from my old 3.36 diff is compatible with the crown gear on my new subaru R180 3.9 diff.

Next alternate, without getting my fingers dirty is a pair of YOUR stub axles, and trust me your site is book marked! I noticed it said on BO for two weeks.

Utopia seems to be Driveshaft Shop CV conversion set with integrated stubs for 6 bolt CVs, this comes in a few hundred $$ less than buying the stubs then adding a CV conversion kit afterwards.

Either way I have a pile of perfectly functional Porsche 911 and 930 CVs, axles, bolts etc all sitting here, sure would be nice to make use of them.
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

I bought the driveshaft shop 510 axle kit and upgraded to a STI r180. probably the best mod I have done to the car. no regrets
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Are these the 930 ones? I still think I would like to do this.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Here is their CV conversion. 108mm is the 930 size joint, and in this particular picture they are using the late 930 CVs with the enclosed end caps which is nice. The early 930 joints needed a relief machined in the mating flanges for gaskets otherwise grease would migrate out and make a mess.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/datsun-51 ... mm-flanges

The STI conversion uses a custom stub axle on the inner end.
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

The better kit to get is this
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import-ax ... ersion-kit
It cost $100 more, but your getting the axle stubs that snap into the R180 which the other kit does not include
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks for that Toylet. Is the "play" acceptable?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

I've heard good things about the driveshaftshop kit but also issues with the "play" on it. What are the advantages to it over the Ermish Kit and FutoFab, if any?
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Heh, so who's going to be the guinea pig here?

I discovered the driveshaft shop from a Facebook post I saw, think it was 510 Fanatics. I'm not literate enough with face book to message the guy and ask him about tollerances.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

I'm reading the driveshaft shop pages referenced above and I'm not seeing anything related to a Subaru diff. The flanges they sell are for the Datsun R180 diff. Pretty sure the Subaru diffs stubs are a different spline count. Am I missing something?

Now its quite likely the DRiveshaft shop can do those stubs in the Subaru spline.