**Datsun competition strut info needed**

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
jaredperry

**Datsun competition strut info needed**

Post by jaredperry »

Fellow Ratsuners,

Does anyone know anything about the competition struts? Such as if they were only oil filled, inner body length, or if they had an insert?

Part Numbers:
Right 5430222032
Left 5430322032

Thank you!
Chickenman

Re: **Datsun competition strut info needed**

Post by Chickenman »

I had a set of those on my 1968 Datsun 510. They are already shortened so strut tubes do not have to be cut on lowered cars.The shocks are oil filled and not gas charged. Original shocks were not cartridge type, but are rebuildable. I recall that the spring seats ( perches ) were raised from the stock strut position to give more tire clearance and were used with much shorter springs. Race springs from Nissan were very good for Autocross.

Note: Original Nissan Comp Race springs were all black in color in the late 70's. I've never seen factory Competition springs in yellow or Red as in ad below. Edit: Looks like there are no shock inserts supplied. That may not make it such a sweet deal.

There is a really sweet deal om E-Bay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-73-510-DATSU ... 32?vxp=mtr

Last edited by Chickenman on 28 May 2016 13:16, edited 2 times in total.
jaredperry

Post by jaredperry »

Do you know if there is any type of seal kit available?
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

I doubt it very much if you can find seal kits anymore from Datsun. However, if memory serves me correct, they only use 1 Teflon seal on the shock valve. You may be able to find these from motorcycle shock suppliers. Usually all they need is a change of oil. It is a mineral oil and it does wear out and lose viscosity. Weak shocks can be rejuvenated with using a thicker shock oil. Motorcycle shock oil is readily available and what we used back in the day to tune. The new oils are synthetic and last much longer and don't aerate as much with racing use. There is an outer O-Ring on the Gland nut that should be replaced. It's no big deal as you can find these at any Autozone or Napa. Regular Buna rubber O-rings will work.

And of course you can always fit Koni or Bilstein shocks. You just have to find the right size. My choice would be Koni I suspect that the shocks used for shortened struts would work fine. IE: VW Golf or Toyota MR2. You would have to take some measurements of the strut tube length of course.

Edit: Having a close look at the pictures with the " Zoom " feature, it doesn't look like these have any shock inserts at all. So you would have to go with a cartridge type shock.

Looks like bidding has ended with no bids. Lack of shock inserts may make this not such a good deal. Depends on customer I guess... Maybe PM seller and make him a offer??