Installing Innovate Wideband

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
TheHeretic
Supporter

Installing Innovate Wideband

Post by TheHeretic »

So finally broke down and purchased the Innovate MTX-L through Amazon last week:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MD ... 2EQ327FZVX

It came yesterday and I am planning on installing it this week. First time putting in one of these kits to tune a dual Mikuni L20b so some guidance would be great (and pics!). I understand the O2 sensor and bung are welded into the exhaust preferably right after the downpipe. My basic questions are:

1. What is the optimal placement of the sensor and any pics of this for the welder to follow?
2. Where does everyone route the sensor wiring from underneath the car into the dash?
3. Electrical and I are like socks on a rooster, we don't match up well. Very specific wiring instructions would be GREATLY appreciated. Pics even more so!

If there is anything else you think I should know about please don't hesitate to share. Tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
icehouse

Re: Installing Innovate Wideband

Post by icehouse »

My only advices is make sure the bung it comes with isn't to thick. It's been a while but I've installed around 5 of them now and one had a super thick bung maybe we lost to original or used it on something else. Either way the reading was way off because the sensor wasn't reaching the exhaust flow.

Also don't forget to calibrate the sensor before screwing it in. I forget every time!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

TheHeretic wrote:1. What is the optimal placement of the sensor and any pics of this for the welder to follow?
Depends on what you're running for an exhaust. Most O2 placements here will be factory O2 sensors for EFI swaps. Most of the carb guys tune using the old-school methods.

The WBO2 sensor is heated, so placement as close to the head isn't crucial. It's mainly going to be fitting the bung and sensor in a spot where it will fit without hitting (the ground, the chassis, etc.) and be accessible since you'll need to calibrate it as Jeff mentions, which means you have to have the sensor in free air, not in the pipe, when you do this. And if the battery ever dies or you pull cables for something, then you're going to have to do this again.
TheHeretic wrote:2. Where does everyone route the sensor wiring from underneath the car into the dash?
510's generally have a surplus of holes in the firewall. You just need a hole big enough to feed the gauge-end of the cable through. I've zip-tied the big-end connector on the engine-side somewhere away from the manifold. The sensor to the connector isn't that long of a run, and I never had enough run and a big-enough hole available to fit the big connector into the cabin. NBD.
TheHeretic wrote:3. Electrical and I are like socks on a rooster, we don't match up well. Very specific wiring instructions would be GREATLY appreciated. Pics even more so
[/quote]

I don't recall anything beyond 12V+ and 12V- to power the gauge. You'll want it to be a switched source, not constant. Totally basic wiring and the manual should have all you need for a diagram.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

I installed one in my datsun. Optimal place to weld the bung is at the 2 or 10 o clock position of pipe. It is ALOT more accurate to use this method vs old school method of looking at spark plug color :roll: .
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm an old school guy who's run carbs and have maintained that if I'd purchased the WBO2 earlier in life, I may not have ever swapped over to EFI!!!

That said, placement of the sensor closer to the exhaust port will net a faster reaction time. However if using a stock L16 manifold or a header, you have no choice but to mount the sensor where all pipes come together. On cold days this could mean the sensor takes 10-20 seconds to warm up and start working. Not a huge deal, but it's there.
I placed my sensor near vertical right after the collector beside the transmission on top of the pipe. It's out of harms way, and I put the wiring in a loom and laid it over top of the transmission. I mounted the control box under the pass side foot well area to the "frame rail". I actually bought a 90 degree air drill just to drill the holes and I riveted the control box into place.
Then I ran the wires into the cabin on the pass side, where I conected them to the ECU and ran the gauge control wires over to the column mounted Innovate digital gauge. You can ring e wires to and through the same hole as the stock wiring harness as the grommet will protect the wires and cables.

I love the thing, and can't believe I held off so long to buy one. As mentioned, I may have never removed the twin Mikunis from the car had I first installed the gauge to help tune them. At any rate, super happy with it, and you'll do fine mounting the units. Just take care to make good connections where you have to splice in (using a good quality crimping tool and keeping the conections waterproof where nessesary) and protect the loom where exposed to the elements by wrapping or installing a look or running wirer inside tubing. And lastly, tie up and secure all wires so they are not bouncing around - chaffing and yanking on themselves. This will certainly lead to failure. There is a reason ourcars came with the loom all taped up. It made those wires last this long!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

If I can add also.

Make sure your 12volt supply is "clean". In my case, I was wired into a supply that saw low voltage when I would start the car, which then triggered an ERROR code, *8 I think.

My O2 sensor goes in at the 3' o'clock position and I have had no problems.

Like Byron, I mounted my "control box" to the passenger side frame rail firmly with zap straps, had no issues.

This is how I mounted mine..in my face so no excuses that at wide open throttle for a few miles....I did not see it leaning out...
Attachments
IMG_3473.JPG
IMG_3473.JPG (120.47 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Bosch provides good descriptions of how best to install their sensors...

http://www.bosch-motorsport.com/media/c ... 435pdf.pdf

http://www.daytona-sensors.com/download/Bosch_LSU4.pdf
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Also, I doubt very much you will be using and LEADED fuel, but, if you do, depending on the Gms/litre, I change my sensor every 50 hours of engine running time, which is two seasons for me, and that is with 100LL Avgas, 0.56GMS. lead per litre.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

All this is great information and advice so I hope to add to it with some good installation pictures for the next person who goes through this. Based on the wiring schematic I am going to use the power to the radio for the gauge. Currently have a stock AM radio installed (just for looks) without it being connected. Does that sound reasonable?
Carpe Diem!
Ryan