L16 Issues. Confirm my worst fears

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
LifelikeStatue

L16 Issues. Confirm my worst fears

Post by LifelikeStatue »

So my 510 has an L16 with the 32/36DGV. It has always smoked no matter the tweaking I've done. The valve breather and the crank breather both puff like bingo grannys. I have the valve breather routed to the bottom of the air cleaner and a filter on the crank breather. I tried routing it through PCV at the intake manifold but it made it almost undrivable. I thought (hoped) it was just running rich. Adjusted the carb, no vacuum leaks, fuel pressure regulator. Nope same issue.
Last Saturday I drove home from work and when I got off the freeway, (4k RPM. Gotta love a 4spd) it wouldn't idle. Every stop light I had to restart. It was running OK but no idle. Sunday AM it barely started and when it did it was rough and mis-firing. When I tore into it last night I was thinking the points needed some attention. What I found were 4 black, wet, oil fouled spark plugs. No blue on start up so I don't think it's valve seals. Am I pretty safe in thinking either the piston rings or the whole block is done? I am getting a compression tester to confirm but I'm thinking I need a new motor.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: L16 Issues. Confirm my worst fears

Post by bertvorgon »

That does not sound good! have you done a compression test? Were the plugs ok when you started? Did you have a nice hot spark?

A compression test will tell you right away, do that first and let us know.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Compression tester will tell you something is wrong, but a leak-down tester will help you diagnose if it's the valve, HG, or rings. Good luck!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I could sell you a good running L16 with a new 44? something cam that came out of butters : $200
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

That would $200 well spent....no joke - decent motor.

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Are you running the Factory PCV setup off the block breather? Factory block breather has a very well designed oil separator, with very good baffling. Vent to atmosphere setup or a broken PCV hose, plugged PCV valve etc, will allow excessive crankcase pressures to build and that will force oil past rings.

Valve cover vent should be connected to air cleaner air box, never directly to PCV valve. Baffling in VC not designed to be connected to PCV valve itself.
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

BTW, seriously good deal from Robin....
510rob

Post by 510rob »

+1 on buying Mike's old motor from Robyn for $200
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Excessive blow by= worn rings or broken piston, blown head gasket leaking compression into crank case (highly unlikely) leaky valve will not create excessive blow by only low to zero compression. But like Julian said "Leak-down test"
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Sorry, Lou, I changed my mind. I'm with:
RMS wrote:I could sell you a good running L16 with a new 44? something cam that came out of butters : $200
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
LifelikeStatue

Post by LifelikeStatue »

No loss of coolant or oil in the rad so I'm not thinking head gasket.
Chickenman wrote:Are you running the Factory PCV setup off the block breather?
LifelikeStatue wrote:a filter on the crank breather. I tried routing it through PCV at the intake manifold but it made it almost undrivable.
Chickenman wrote:Valve cover vent should be connected to air cleaner air box, never directly to PCV valve. Baffling in VC not designed to be connected to PCV valve itself.
LifelikeStatue wrote:I have the valve breather routed to the bottom of the air cleaner

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I'm doing an engine swap. With a new house and a new baby I'm hoping the insurance rebate is enough to cover costs or this may take a while.

RMS, does that engine come with the matchbox distributor I asked about?
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Smoke... blue, black or white????

Black is over rich
White is likely coolant
Blue is burning oil.

I'll assume Blue. This can be from...

over filled crankcase.
worn or broken rings
broken piston
worn valve guides
worn valve seals.

Valve cover vent goes to underside of air breather
Block vent goes to PCV valve.

Won't idle is likely plugs fouled from excessive oil burning.

Expect compression 120 or lower.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

LifelikeStatue wrote:a filter on the crank breather. I tried routing it through PCV at the intake manifold but it made it almost undrivable.
Why did it become almost undriveable ? Did you retune the carb after reinstalling the PCV system? Eliminating the PCV system will richen the mixture considerably. If you tuned carb to run with the PCV system eliminated, then carb will be too lean if you reinstall the PCV system. You will have to jet the Primary side up a bit. You can run PCV systems any carburated or FI engine engine with no issues.... if you tune it right.

While you may in fact need a new engine, running without a PCV system is very bad for the engine. You can get excessive oil consumption and blow-by from poor ring seal, leaks from engine seals because of excessive crankcase pressures and your oil will become contaminated much faster with acids and combustion particulates. The carbon particles are really nasty and will wear the rings out much quicker. Bearings as well.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

LifelikeStatue wrote:RMS, does that engine come with the matchbox distributor I asked about?
:lol: :lol: :lol: no. :P

I will keep the matchbox dizzy and the side draft.

you can have a new clutch and your choice of valve cover?

for an extra $100 I will help with the swap. should take no longer than 4hrs if your hood unbolts easily.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
LifelikeStatue

Post by LifelikeStatue »

I like my Valve cover and the clutch is pretty new. How much to add the matchbox dizzy and do you want a core on that motor?

Mike, yes the smoke is blue.

Chickenman, I didn't re-jet when I routed the crank breather through the PCV but I adjusted to get it a bit smoother. It was coughing and stumbling and it wouldn't Rev very well and fell on it's face at every stop. I pulled it and it ran pretty well.