battery exploration

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
RMS
Supporter

battery exploration

Post by RMS »

with so many different types and brands of batteries available today, what are the best choices for our 510s?

after an overcharge on my radio flyer sent acid all over my paint work I swore I would never return to a conventional flooded led acid battery.

I have been running red top optimas for the last 15years and apparently their not as good as they once were. not to mention the group 27 is big and heavy

I like the idea of lithium ion but they are way out of my price range..... but if I could sell a kidney what would I be after for a l20b with two fans and two pumps ?

the AGM batteries is what im leaning towards. I like the look of the intimidator but do I need it in a group 27? Image

the odyssey batteries look great besides the color but witch one ?........honda guys run a little one with only 160 cca :shock: Image

im just dreaming but what considerations should be made to the charging system if I was to go with a lithium Image

what are the best battery choices for a street 510 in your mind ?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
gooned

Re: battery exploration

Post by gooned »

It threw a crappy tire AGM in the dodge after the optima died...happy so far, better warranty and cheaper too.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I have a red top Optima in my street car, I pull the cables in November and it always starts in May, had zero problems with it for 5 years. I had an Odyssey in my race car, the car did had hot start issues and I killed one, maybe 2 of them? They were the cigar box sized ones (3rd one up on the left side). I think they would have been fine had I not had an electrical gremlin. They are LIGHT, they just won't take a recharge once they are spent.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Interesting that you guys have had Optima issues. I don't think I have replaced my red top since I built the car in 2004. But I always disconnect the cables when it gets parked. However it parks all winter (October to April generally) and never gets a "maintenance" charge.

Maybe I just jinxed myself....

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

RMS wrote: I have been running red top optimas for the last 15years and apparently their not as good as they once were. not to mention the
I was told they are no longer made in the usa and that costco dropped them because of returns but I dont know its just what was said to me

lordso wanted over 250each for a red top :shock: last spring they were 173. :x
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I ran a Yuasa el cheapo battery on my 510 and didn't take very good care of it and I got 5 years out of it (YTX20HL). IIRC, it was about $135 purchased locally BITD. I wanted a larger battery for Golddust so I did some more searching around.

Here's a screenshot of some of my research. As you can see, there are a couple performance metrics in the last couple columns. I settled on the YIX30HL for my 240. It was $136 CAD shipped to my door in Langley.

'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yeah, modern Optimas aren't what they used to be. The cutoff seems to be in the late 2000s, company was bought out and costs (quality) was cut. I had an '07 in Whitebird and the car sat with the battery connected for 1.5 years and after swapping in the last SR it started the engine as if no time had passed, so old/er ones are definitely good.

Have a Yuasa in the 3-wheeler, and it sits for periods of time with zero issues, which is not common for a motorcycle battery. No tenders in this house, just forgetfulness.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I'm with Jordan, I buy the cheapest smallest Honda type battery I can find and call it a day.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That is what I use also, Honda size, works for me, I have a cheap battery maintainer that I leave on all winter, cycles the battery, they last for 5- 6 years no problem.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

after weeks of searching and calling I finally found a competent local battery guy and what do ya know he runs a formula 1000 @ mission http://buyabattery.com/ he recommended the Odyssey PC680@180 or the PC925 @250 and a line on some bats for the 24v m37.
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

Run the PC680 under the front passenger seat like me :)

Carpe Diem!
Ryan
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Take a look through this thread: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... ttery.html

I am currently running a 17lb Deka battery but when that needs replacement I will most definitely be going to a lithium battery. At ~3.5lbs you don't even need to worry about mounting it in an optimal place for weight distribution!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Like this! Mount anywhere.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

TheHeretic wrote:Run the PC680 under the front passenger seat like me :)

Nice tidy install. Looking to do similar for mine.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I've been using a cheapo Walmart battery sized to the starters needs 6 years now and sits on a trickle charger over the winter no issues.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon