6 inches of Rust

View and post your 510 project(s)
gooned

Re: 6 inches of Rust

Post by gooned »

bertvorgon wrote:What is the route..IE how do you get from Harrison over into the Nahatlatch?
This years report,
http://www.overlandcanada.com/forum/sho ... t+Harrison
I did it a couple years back, the top pass is as remote as I've felt anywhere I've been on a road.
http://www.overlandcanada.com/forum/sho ... n-Harrison

Now back to rust...
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I think I got stuck turning around at the same spot, but all I had was a 1.5t come a long .

did the south Fraser perimeter yesterday, boy are those tires soft and comfy compared to the yoko rally tires..... after watching a guy almost lose it in a $100,000 bimer I put my foot into it and almost got lift on that bump.....ah no rub upon landing...IM good for gravel.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

So, does this really go through then? there would be no snow now.

Matt and I would be up to try that trip.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

ive made it.......once :lol: there are a few cool attractions along the way. rainbow falls, clear creek hot springs, sand dunes, moss covered forest, white water,

a preview of whats in store :ImageImageImageImageImageImage

if it was (Just) a drive we could easily do harrison west to lillowet , duffy to nahatalatch to shovel creek to harrison east and back to the no7 in 10-12h
gooned

Post by gooned »

Yes our buddy drove up the canyon to meet us and was home that same night, easily a day trip with no drama. The spot I got stuck was the previous day over East of hwy 1...disclaimer that I did get stuck in a wash whilst I was lacking 4wd but the reports I've read say the road is in great shape this year, look at the 3 minivans that just did the trip.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Were you guys thinking this Saturday? No campfire ban so smokie's could be in order. I am checking with Matt to see if he and the Tracker are available. Just a thought.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I was planning on a trip on August 6/7 area.

Not to say two trips couldn't be done....I'll go rain or shine, the truck doesn't care less. Rain means no sun burn :-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

im out for Saturday gardening at grandmas in the am
gooned

Post by gooned »

Sat 23 I'll be at Coastal Cruisers show with the 55, then some camping coming so I'm done till late August ,September would be great up there too...if you guys go take pics!
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

yesterday the woman got back from shopping complaining about rear end noise. climbed under pulled and pushed....found nothing new, but the diff felt a little hot. I decided to toss a pan under and drain the oil. it was very black and when I stuck my finger in the hole, I found this:ImageImage

sheered ring gear bolt? never heard that one before...... looks like Ill be swapping plates onto the radio flyer.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

You mean you don't have a diff kicking around your spare parts pile!

Be interesting to see what went wrong, inquiring minds want to know!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

stacks of stock diffs kicking about, but you know how it works.....68 stuck in the booth for the last 6 months waiting on a headliner, woman's car sitting in primer in the work hole and I just rolled my ankle so no dancing with the gun or block in the open air.

6 inches needs some love installed. the z24 is blowing blue and its not the guides, thinking of installing some taller 200 struts. the jag seats are blown and twisted. a bit of metal work and a re shoot... maybe a color change and a new windshield gasket.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

OK pulled the diff last night removed the cover and the only damage I could see is the one missing bolt head. all the gears look in great shape the oil was black and low maybe half of what should be. I grabbed the head of a few ring gear bolts and there was no apparent pre load on any of them. with the low oil could the ring gear get so hot that its expansion lead to the stretching of the ring gear bolts ?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

assuming that thermal expansion of the ring gear led to loss of tempering and and ultimately the stretching of the bolts NFG has been written on the diff.

rather than pulling at the pile I grabbed this perdy safety orange diff some may recognize. Image
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I cant' think that if the gears look good, that the diff got too hot.

I have personally seen a diff that came out of Tracey's 510 after a 7 hour Enduro we did at Westwood. There was NO oil left and the gears were BLUE and BLACK..baked! It is amazing that it ran the full length of that race.

This is when Andy realized that with shorter gears and sustained high speed driving, that the requirement for a larger diff cover was a pure bonus for longevity. That's why I would love to have one of Matt's billet covers. I change my diff oil regularly as our 400+ mile drives, with 4.6 gears doing a zillion rotations, all translates to heat. Our only saving grace is that we are not caning on it the whole time, so the loading is even greater.

I would say that if some were loose, and one was over tightened, that the vibration cycle maybe just finished it off?

Keith Law