Speedo not working anymore

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Doraemon
Supporter

Speedo not working anymore

Post by Doraemon »

During removal of the dashboard I unplugged the speedo. But later when I screw the speed cable back in the cluster.. It doesn't work any more ?
I tried to drive slowly and unscrew the cable a bit.. and some how it worked a bit again... but was way off. Hour later it stopped working again.

Is there a special way to plug this cable in the cluster ? Or did I damaged something ? Anyone else recognize the problem ? :(
defdes
Supporter

Re: Speedo not working anymore

Post by defdes »

It sounds like it's not engaging all of the way, if it's unscrewed can you see it spinning?
Though others here have condemned this move, the edges on the end of my cable were rounded over, I trimmed 1/16" off the end and squared it off with a file and it now works great.
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

The cable it self is working. But will have a better look today when I'm at the car. But still not exactly don't know what you mean with edged of the cable rounded over ? Will try to make pictures :)
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

If the very end of the cable no longer has sharp corners in which to engage into the back of the speedo, it will spin without turning the mechanism.
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

Did some cleaning up and removed the grease. And saw what you are meaning. Mine did had some weird kind of square metal shaped wire thing. Found that when to much power applied the wire goes in the cable. Tried to push the cable in the speedo couple of time and sensed when it slips in easy it fitted well. Now it works again. Thanks for the help Defdes :D