A 510 30 years in planing.

View and post your 510 project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Re: A 510 30 years in planing.

Post by okayfine »

Ron LIVES!

Ron, what do you think about painting your intercooler black? And the yellow panel behind the headlight buckets? That would provide a black background to help hide the light size difference.

Also, installing the grill trim (hood, eyebrows, lower stainless) would also tie in with the silver around the head lamp trim.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Thanks Joel.

Hey Julian ; )

Your design ideas are on the money, and I would have done them already if there weren't a few things getting in my way. I don't know it you recall, but I had the intercooler coated with C-17 Transfer Black. It's a thermal transfer coating that makes it 30% more efficient. Painting over it would not be good.

Although I have the piece, the hood is fiberglass, and doesn't have the proper mount holes for the stainless trim. I also have one of the lower grill pieces, but it's pretty thrashed, and distorted. I could spend some time hammering it into shape though. I do not however have the fender eyebrow pieces.

I figure I could paint the front inside panel black, paint the leading edge of the hood to match the trim, get those eyebrow pieces, and place a black mesh over the intercooler. Logical next step in the ongoing insanity,

Speaking of insanity, on a side note,

Have you guys seen the BBC car program called Project Binky? Two limies stuffing a turbo AWD GT Cellica chassis into an Austin Mini. As impossible as this might be to believe, it appears they're doing it right, or at least putting on a Damn good show in the attempt. The entire show revolves around the design, fabrication, and resourcing involved, which as you can imagine is absolutely mind blowing. I was hooked on the first episode. Best thing I've seen on the internet in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hCPODjJO7s
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Your comments on the Binki Project are right on the money. Someone (Joel, Julian???) posted the link nearly 2 years ago, and many of us are following it - bloody entertaining and a down right cool project.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

Agreed...spot on...my 9yr old son and I were enjoying the first few episodes this evening....He especially likes British humor as I do, and he is a Minecraft maniac that loves Dan TDM....Bollocks, Bloody, etc. and all that

Cheers
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Minecraft... My kids are all about it. Networking with their buddies and razing hell on the internet. Better there than on the street I figure. There's a new shared universe game on the horizon call No Man's Sky. It looks pretty mind blowing. Massive galaxy with individual solar systems, planets, each with unique environment, eco systems, etc, etc. A complete digital universe to exploit, inhabit, and develop. If they can get this thing off the ground it will be interesting to see where this goes.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Haven't been updating my thread much, but checking it from time to time. Thought I'd post up some interesting goings on. My 510 and it's backstory were chosen for a car review channel on youtube. Nothing huge, but the video turned out pretty cool. I wish the producer/driver had a set of balls so he could have pushed the car to see what it can really do. He said he was intimidated because he'd never driven an old school pure analog, non-power assist, ABS, traction controlled car before. Never hit the rev limiter or chirped the tires in a corner, but it still scared the s**t out of him. Great shot at 7:25 where the 510 pulls away from the chase car with ridiculous acceleration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Also shipped the car down to San Diego this summer to show it in the Cruising Grand Auto Show in Escondido where my Mom lives.My whole family was there, and I ran into a few other 510 guys. By the end it was just me and my Dad. It got too dark for me to drive and after an operation he couldn't use his right hand. Solution, he drove and I did the shifting from the passenger seat. Had a blast.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Hey Ron, glad to see you're still around and lovin' your 510, and still getting some QT with your pops!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

WOW Ron, your 510 never sleeps! Nice to hear from you.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I saw is video last week....that guy needs to grow some. He looked terrified of your car.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Hey Ron, can't get the link to work, must be me ......
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

two_68_510s wrote:Hey Ron, can't get the link to work, must be me ......
Here you go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZtp6PiFlTI
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

funwithmonkeys wrote:I saw is video last week....that guy needs to grow some. He looked terrified of your car.
Agreed. He's a young car enthusiast who's only driven modern cars though, and let's face it, an SR20 racing chassis 510 is not exactly a refined driving experience. There was lots more car to be had, but if he wasn't comfortable taking it there I wasn't going to push him. I'm not driving on the track or street much anymore, but still take it out now and again in the early morning East Bay back roads. I can understand being cautious with the peddle, but he didn't even get close to the cornering ability of the car. That road we were on was just screaming for more.

In his defense, could you imagine if he'd scrubbed off into an embankment or tree? The video would've been used in his murder trial.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

two_68_510s wrote:Hey Ron, can't get the link to work, must be me ......
Hey Joel, Were you able to get it to work with the full link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZtp6PiFlTI
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Works great, now to watch the video tonight.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

Thumbs up on the 510, and the video Ron.
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.