Coilovers or not ?

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Doraemon
Supporter

Coilovers or not ?

Post by Doraemon »

Been looking around for a while what to do with my suspension.
Now I'm really interested to go for Coilovers because of the tweaking possibilities.

Now I have a possibility to buy some Cusco Zero 2 coilovers from a S13 200SX.
Bit expensive still... But before I buy them I asking my self.. is it worth ?
And want to keep the 510 struts original and getting some 280ZX struts to fit the coilovers on.
My intention is to keep the coilovers at a nice soft setting and don't want to bump around and getting a broken back.
Just bit stiffer ride with ride height to set.

Do people drive their 510's daily with coilovers ? Or any opinion ?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Coilovers or not ?

Post by bertvorgon »

The coil over themselves do not give a stiff ride, whether you choose coil overs or conventional at the rear, it will be the choice of SHOCK and it's characteristics and adjust-ability that will give you the "stiff" or firm ride.

We run 1200 Lbs/inch here at the rear, but take away the shock and it's setting and the car bounces like Gramma's Buick.

It will be BOTH your choice of spring rate and the shocks ability to control that rate.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Mine would be doable for a daily. The ride in my car is good but the NVH from solid suspension joints is what really kills you. As Keith put it, the ride is in the shocks.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have to agree that it is all in the shocks. The twist of a knob on my shocks can change it from rattling your teeth to just soaking up the bumps. I have the do it yourself ones in the front and weight jackets in the rear and have run 200lb/800lb and am noworking running 300lb/1100lb. There is not much difference in them daily driving it but it is quite noticeable when driving in anger. I don't see any negative to them. Just spend some money on good shocks.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

Many thanks for the input guys. Will have a look for them :D
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

If you are looking for adjustable shocks I am running the QA1 single adjustable shocks in the rear. They are only $170 each USD and have a wide range of adjustment.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

funwithmonkeys wrote:If you are looking for adjustable shocks I am running the QA1 single adjustable shocks in the rear. They are only $170 each USD and have a wide range of adjustment.
Are those for stock location or with coil overs?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Stock location but they do have collars to turn them into coil overs.