Seat Belt Bolt Size and Pitch

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Seat Belt Bolt Size and Pitch

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Can anyone confirm if the top seat belt mouting bolt hole is the same as the bottom? If you know the excat size and pitch that would be great also. Looking for the one just above the b pillar and slightly back a few inches. I dont want to cut into my headliner to figure it out .

Thanks
looking for pass. side arm rest
RMS
Supporter

Re: Seat Belt Bolt Size and Pitch

Post by RMS »

yes the upper is the same as the lower. the seat belts are one of the few standard fasteners on a 510 the size for the seat belt is anchor is 7/16th nf x 20. can anyone name the other "fasteners" with non metric threads ? not all 510s have previsions outside of the B pillar(s)for seat belt anchors. my 68 has the anchor low in the b were 69 top of the b and the 70s goon has it in the roof behind the b pillar about 2.5 in. .
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Oil pressure sender isn't metric.... but not a fastener.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

datzenmike wrote:Oil pressure sender isn't metric.... but not a fastener.
Mike, I stumbled across this page that has a very nice simple write up on the differences between the threads.

http://www.ralstoninst.com/news/story/t ... spt-seals/

So folks - yes that oil sender is a BSPT 1/8-28 thread, so don't run your Autometer 1/8-27 fitting in there - disaster is inevitable!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

What are the nipples that feed water to the intake and the little one in the thermostat housing. I picked up a brass plug for the housing and it screws in a little but didn't seem right.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

those are bspt of the tapered variate.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Thanks RMS. I like how this turned into a trivia question haha
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Just a wild guess...... License plat mounting ?
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

The seat belt bolts are regulated via whatever body governs such things, DOT or something. I found the regs once, they specifically stated 7/16-20 Grade 5 or 8, but did list a metric option too that can't remember exactly. Likely 12-1.25. Seems everyone just adopted the SAE option. Z's are the same.

About other non-metric items, The Z hood bumper height adjusters are 1/4-28 of all the damn things to choose. Guess dimes don't have those, sorry.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

All BW equipped cars had imperial fasteners an anything to do with the transmission. The bell housing is the adapter plate, anything bolted to the motor is metric, anything bolted to the transmission is imperial.

The last thing I can think of that is not metric is the wheel bolt pattern. People can write down 113.5mm all they like, the bolt pattern is 4 on 4 1/2" no matter how you slice it :-)

That's about all I can think of.

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

MikeY wrote:What are the nipples that feed water to the intake and the little one in the thermostat housing. I picked up a brass plug for the housing and it screws in a little but didn't seem right.
Mike, I don't think anyone answered you directly, but those water connections are also British Standard Pipe Thread (BSPT). You find that not only are the diameters different, often if you place one thread against the other, they are a different pitch. BSPT are a different thread form, 55 degrees inclusive opposed to NPT's 60 degree thread but both share a 1 in 16 taper.

On your water connection, you'll find that the 1/4" BSPT is slightly smaller than the equivalent NPT thread. It'll start but won't go far.

On the oil fitting, the block is tapped 1/8 -28 BSPT. Many guys thread in an imperial 1/8-27 NPT and get away with it, but whats really happening is that you are forcing/mashing the different thread forms and pitches together and it stays together based on force and luck. I've seen this scenario fail personally, a couple times with dire consequences.

Byron
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Autometer makes a 1/8 BSPT (M) to 1/8 NPT (FM) adapter that relatively easy to find at speed shops like Mopac that stock Autometer products. Part # 2269.

http://www.autometer.com/1-8-npt-to-1-8 ... ssure.html

I keep a couple in stock so I'm not tempted to get the 1/8 NPT tap out when doing oil fitting work on mine or customer's cars....
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

PoorMtnKid wrote:Just a wild guess...... License plat mounting ?
that's the one but upon reflection all mine may have been taped out by a po.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

RMS wrote:
PoorMtnKid wrote:Just a wild guess...... License plat mounting ?
that's the one but upon reflection all mine may have been taped out by a po.
The captive nuts welded into all the sedan rear panels ware M6x1 thread, and I believe all front bumpers were through bolts - do correct me if I'm wrong.

I've had 2 wagons, and I thought they too were M6x1 captive nuts in the hatch panel....

Byron